3D Printed Star Wars Helmets

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone on here had any experience with 3D printed helmets (that you might have purchased or possibly printed yourselves?)

I've seen a few online and some of them look pretty good but I wondered what the feeling was about the quality. How sturdy are they, do they last, how well do they take paint applications etc.? There are two that I have been looking at recently that have been printed in PLA plastic)

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated!

Reaction score
PLA has print lines in the casts, so those would have to be filled and sanded down, before you can think of painting it. Depending on how thick they made the casts they can be anywhere between flimsy and not worth your money to strong and sturdy and won't crack if dropped.

For painting I believe PLA takes paint just fine, but in order to get a nice finish, you need to prep the surface by filling layer lines, sanding and priming. The layer lines, if not fixed, will show up in the finished piece and it will look poorly done.

Though, for printed things I would actually recommend you buy a 3D printer instead of buying prints from other people. That way you will be certain of the quality and can print tests and make corrections before doing the final fine layer version.

Reaction score
Though, for printed things I would actually recommend you buy a 3D printer instead of buying prints from other people. That way you will be certain of the quality and can print tests and make corrections before doing the final fine layer version.
Agreed, my son and I got bit by the 3D printing bug. It’s opened up a hole new world of fun. We are putting our second printer together now.

Reaction score

Been working on on this one. I had two printers running so that’s how I needed up with the two colors. Got to admit, I like the look. I’m filling and sanding the seams now. Wood filler works great.

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with an outfit called Designedby3D from the Ukraine? They maintain their own website plus an Ebay store. On Ebay, they just sell built and painted 3D printed blasters, thermal detonators, etc. but on their website they offer much, much more; including custom jobs. I inquired about having a Brock Starsher/Skiff Guard helmet made; and was told they could create, build, paint and ship it for around $350. I'm strongly considering it; once I have the funds. Is that an okay price for a finished 3D helmet that you don't see frequently?