36" (91 cm) Death Star WIP (continued)

Utinniii

Reaction score
Wowwowwow!

There are spray adhesives that you can move them around for a minute or so but after that, they are permanent. I think 3M has one.
However, trying to peel the printed paper off might crack the printout. I try to spray outside or at least in the garage. I also tend to do it when I know I will be leaving the house so they will have dissipated by the time I get home.

If you are going to do each floor wall individually, I always use pins to help keep the joints together.

Posterboard for the roof should work and you have the 3D effect! You might want to paint the ceilings now that everything is disassembled. It is a good job to do later when you are too tired for precision cutting/fitting.

Reaction score
Posterboard for the roof should work and you have the 3D effect! You might want to paint the ceilings now that everything is disassembled. It is a good job to do later when you are too tired for precision cutting/fitting.
I did end up just making a simple texture that I'll probably be using on the ceilings. It won't cost too much, as I can print sheets of 11 x 17 at the shop I've been going to for a little over a dollar.

Okay, this will be kind of a big update. I grow more frustrated with my camera and its image quality, so I may be getting a new one very soon. So again apologies in advance for the poor quality on some of the images. I'll post better pics of everything once I get a better camera and get more work done, I promise.

My goal now is to get the base wall completely finished, so that I don't have to take the whole thing apart again and can just re-build it from the ground up. So I got a few textures done for it. The texture you see for the hangar bay is actually four separate textures.

I also got the texture for the Docking Bay Control Room finished. A little hard to see in this photo, so I'll post a better one later.

The next step was to cut out a couple slots for the braces that will help hold up the top floor once it's attached. You're looking at the very top edge of the Chasm side, where the Lift Hub will be.

They line up well with the slots underneath the Emperor's stairs, so we're looking good so far!

Then we'll glue a couple pieces of foam board over it.

This will get covered up by the lift and the little room up here.

And I went ahead and painted the popsicle sticks just for the hell of it.

And now I can put on the Chasm wall! This one is also four separate textures.

I needed to add some spacers to the back of the frame for the bay window to make sure there was room for the slide to get through unobstructed.

And here it is with the window attached. I added a permanent star field background underneath for aesthetics and also to prevent it from hitting a seam in the middle where the textures meet.

Here's a couple shots of it with the walls back up.

I also finished the Overbridge window! I went back and forth on whether to use slides with it, which would look much better aesthetically, or use a wheel, which I think adds more play value. After much debating and fighting with how to get it to work, I finally decided on the dial.

Here's a couple shots with the top floor re-attached. Yes, the braces work great! I'll still add a support in the hangar bay, though, just to be safe.

And, here is the slide I have almost completed for the bay window. I had a texture for the black tab that was supposed to blend in with the wall behind it, but somehow it got deleted before I got it to the printer, so that will come later.

Well, that's it for now. I'm about to take a little break, have a couple drinks and check out Far Cry 5. I have a much-needed week off from work, so besides family stuff I've been pretty much working on the DS for the last couple days. Planning to get back at it again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Man that thing is really coming together now. The previous update was impressive, but it was hard for my eye to see what exactly was what, if that makes sense. Here, with things getting reassembled, it is spelling itself out well. The chasm is beautiful, the hangar is great, the overbridge is fantastic.

It's not like I don't know what's coming, but I can't wait to see it. It also really makes me want to dive back into my abandoned 3-foot Death Star spherical playset. Both feelings are a testament to your great design and excellent follow-through.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Yes, get a better camera and take high rez shots of each finished side so I can print out the sphere as 2 posters and build the main frame in about half an hour!:p

It is looking awesome.
I'm trying to decide if I would finish off each room perfectly one by one, or go nuts painting the floors, ceiling patterns and seams so the overall thing looks more finished.

I know I'm not the only one that is virtually building this in my head.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is really coming along. The little room with the treadwell droid is supercool and the control panel with all the detail on the last page is awesome. And the interchangeable images of Alderaan is genius. Years ago Droidworld did a Hoth and Dagobah where he used a turntable to allow for that kind of multipurposing effect. Norman Reynolds would be proud.

Reaction score
So many options / so much playability with this one. What an awesome piece of work!
Thank you, Oofa! When I designed it I tried to give each room some kind of play feature, or at least some characteristic that makes it stand out.

Man that thing is really coming together now. The previous update was impressive, but it was hard for my eye to see what exactly was what, if that makes sense. Here, with things getting reassembled, it is spelling itself out well. The chasm is beautiful, the hangar is great, the overbridge is fantastic.

It's not like I don't know what's coming, but I can't wait to see it. It also really makes me want to dive back into my abandoned 3-foot Death Star spherical playset. Both feelings are a testament to your great design and excellent follow-through.
Thanks so much, Muftak! You should definitely go back to your DS playset, as I know you would come up with something most impressive!

Yes, get a better camera and take high rez shots of each finished side so I can print out the sphere as 2 posters and build the main frame in about half an hour!:p

It is looking awesome.
I'm trying to decide if I would finish off each room perfectly one by one, or go nuts painting the floors, ceiling patterns and seams so the overall thing looks more finished.

I know I'm not the only one that is virtually building this in my head.
Thanks, Utinniii! And if only it were as easy as printing off a couple poster-sized images to re-create this thing, that would be sweet. I've pondered how I could reproduce these in a reasonable amount of time, but with all the operations that go into it and the time involved, it would require some major revisions, to say the least!

I, as well, am still contemplating how to go about putting this thing together for the final time, which is drawing close. On one hand, I have so many alignment things going on that I almost need to just build the rooms and floors back up one by one, but this would mean having seams in the chasm, which I am trying to avoid if at all possible. We'll see what happens.

This is really coming along. The little room with the treadwell droid is supercool and the control panel with all the detail on the last page is awesome. And the interchangeable images of Alderaan is genius. Years ago Droidworld did a Hoth and Dagobah where he used a turntable to allow for that kind of multipurposing effect. Norman Reynolds would be proud.
Thanks, yodashizzle! And I did check out some of Droidworld's work - spectacular, to say the least!

Time for another update. I have been doing little things here and there, kind of jumping back and forth just to stay busy and get stuff done, but it's coming close to the time where the walls and floors will need to be glued together. I've done almost everything to the base wall that needs to be done before this happens, and now I'm working on the side walls in the back, getting ready to affix the textures for the rest of the chasm. Before I do that, I wanted to assemble the unit one last time just to be aware of all the alignment issues so I can anticipate anything I may have to deal with later on.

Here's a shot of both Docking Bay Control Room walls up on the top, with the single Blast Doors Room wall directly below:

Here is a (hopefully) better close-up shot of part of the Hangar Bay texture I came up with. I used my edited template based on Niubniub's textures for the background, and all the pipes in the foreground were done in Gimp.

Here's the other side of the Hangar Bay with the gantry crane I added in. Technically, it should hang lower and actually obscure the top part of the window, but in order to do that I would have had to make another model, which would be more time-consuming. I may actually do one later on once I get my 3d printer up and running. This one was done by taking a still from the movie, importing it into Gimp and doing some very heavy editing in order to try to sharpen it, bring out some of the details, and try to make it fit with the overall look of the rest of the textures. Took quite a while but I finally came up with something I could live with.

I also put together some textures for the Hangar Bay lift. These are edited using Niubniub's textures as a base, with a lot of re-sizing to make them fit the dimensions of my lift. The outside was just a pattern I came up with using some of his textures as a base.

And here's a preview of what it will look like in the Hangar Bay. The top edges will eventually be covered up with another texture.

Here's a little sneak peak of the Lift Hub. I did the texture for the lift from scratch in Gimp and made the one for the little room by taking a screenshot and then fixing the perspective and doing some other editing on it. They both sit a little lower than they will later on due to the fact that I had to cut off the Overbridge wall (too much warping - I had to peel off the texture, which made it way too flimsy. That wall will have to be completely re-done :rolleyes:)

Here's a close-up of the little room. As you can see there's also a texture of the officer walking to another room, in an attempt to add depth. This was a heavily edited snip from a screenshot, as well.

And lastly, the tractor beam generator. The textures used a diagram from the Death Star Owner's Manual, heavily edited and colorized in Gimp. I was actually pretty happy with how they turned out. I can see those being on some vintage toy.

And that's it for now. Time to go back and tackle the wall issue...

Utinniii

Reaction score
Oh, I know how hard it would be to recreate this and it would take much longer that 1/2 an hour. I was just busting your chops!

The hanger bay lift looks amazing.

For the chasm walls, I think after you cut off all the floor edges to make them flush with the walls, I worry that they may be to bumpy when you adhere the wall decals. You might want to get the walls as flush as possible and then add a layer of posterboard with the decals attached. This should smooth it it. You might need something stronger than posterboard though.

I think the chasm has to be built last so you can smooth out the walls and make sure everything fits. Since it is the tallest room, making sure everything is centered and lined up is really important as mistakes will be more obvious here.

Looking great!

Reaction score
Utinniii's on the right track. You might want to go to the art store and buy a nice smooth matte board to build up the surface of the chasm walls, apply your decals there, then apply that to your structure's skeleton. I would say you could get away with cereal-box quality cardboard if you had a large enough single sheet to do the whole chasm wall, and you trusted your walls to be smooth enough. But something with a good rigid strength along its length will be important to conceal any unevenness. It might add a bit of thickness to the walls, but the effect would be worth it.

Looks great...that is the first time I've seen a "practical" hangar space. It definitely works on the floor below as a spare room.

I'm also digging your tractor beam control area. Looks like a fun place to play!

Good update!

Reaction score
Oh, I know how hard it would be to recreate this and it would take much longer that 1/2 an hour. I was just busting your chops!
Lol I know you were :) I just can't help but think how nice it would be to find a way to do something like that.

Thanks for the compliments, guys! And I know you're both right about the chasm wall. The problem is partly the way I'll have to put it together. With the hot glue gun I have a limited time to attach the surfaces and line them up just right before the glue sets, and unfortunately not every level on the chasm wall lines up along the same plane, which is part of the reason I may have to cut the wall into sections and build it back up one or two floors at a time.

The extra board with textures on it would be a good way to make it look a little more seamless, but I would have to affix it after the walls were already put together and standing up, in a confined space with limited time, which could easily turn into a disaster.

I'll mull it over a little bit and proceed as is for the time being. Once I get it together we'll see how bad it looks and how viable the single sheet option would be.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about wall decals for the chasm just yet.

Build level by level if you have to, just be careful to make sure the chasm wall will be flat and at a 90 degree angle.
Once everything is permanently in place, cut out 2 pieces of cardstock that fit the walls perfectly. It might be a good idea to even cut out the door holes at this time and make sure they are aligned.

Once everything fits perfectly, you can apply the decals to the cardstock.
At this point, I would brush or spatula some white (tacky) glue around the edges of the DS chasm walls. Then I would used movable spray adhesive on the back of the cardstock and then attach it to the DS walls. The white glue around the edges is so there will be no spaces or bubbles.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good references for what the actual ceilings of the trash compactor or Vader's chamber would look like? Utinniii, I know you're always really good with references.

I wouldn't worry about wall decals for the chasm just yet.

Build level by level if you have to, just be careful to make sure the chasm wall will be flat and at a 90 degree angle.
Once everything is permanently in place, cut out 2 pieces of cardstock that fit the walls perfectly. It might be a good idea to even cut out the door holes at this time and make sure they are aligned.

Once everything fits perfectly, you can apply the decals to the cardstock.
At this point, I would brush or spatula some white (tacky) glue around the edges of the DS chasm walls. Then I would used movable spray adhesive on the back of the cardstock and then attach it to the DS walls. The white glue around the edges is so there will be no spaces or bubbles.
That might just be crazy enough to work! Thank you!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I did a quick look and didn't see anything, but in all the other set shot I have, they don't have ceilings. I will check again but I won't be posting until after the weekend.
But you will be finished everything by then!

Reaction score
The Trash Compactor ceiling looks exactly like the floor. :whistling:

As for Vader's Chambers, why not put a pin-up poster of Natalie Portman on the ceiling?

Kidding aside, I imagine the Trash Compactor would have more of the "wooden planks" you see on the back wall (under the guide rails for the moving walls.) If you want to get fancy, you can put lights up there (though I think we were supposed to get the impression that the set was only being lit by the light panel above the door) or more guide track details. When I drew up ceiling decals for my 4-sided Death Star playset, I just drew the wooden slats with a spot for the chute from above.

For Darth Vader's Chambers, you could do something like the spot/track lighting as seen in the hangar bay office:

Or what seems to be the standard Death Star ceiling scheme, as seen on the other side of the control room:

If you want to really take a look at the meditation chamber from ESB and figure Vader has the same style room on the DS, then you can sort of extrapolate a hexagonal ceiling fitting into the angled wall-tops on the structure from this set, I would opt for no lights up there since they included plenty of light sources lower on the walls:

Hope some of that helps!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Trash Compactor ceiling looks exactly like the floor. :whistling:

As for Vader's Chambers, why not put a pin-up poster of Natalie Portman on the ceiling?

Kidding aside, I imagine the Trash Compactor would have more of the "wooden planks" you see on the back wall (under the guide rails for the moving walls.) If you want to get fancy, you can put lights up there (though I think we were supposed to get the impression that the set was only being lit by the light panel above the door) or more guide track details. When I drew up ceiling decals for my 4-sided Death Star playset, I just drew the wooden slats with a spot for the chute from above.

For Darth Vader's Chambers, you could do something like the spot/track lighting as seen in the hangar bay office:

Or what seems to be the standard Death Star ceiling scheme, as seen on the other side of the control room:

If you want to really take a look at the meditation chamber from ESB and figure Vader has the same style room on the DS, then you can sort of extrapolate a hexagonal ceiling fitting into the angled wall-tops on the structure from this set, I would opt for no lights up there since they included plenty of light sources lower on the walls:

Hope some of that helps!
Lol yeah that works! Thanks for your help - that does give me some ideas. And man I wish I had found that pic of Vader's meditation chamber before I spent the time photoshopping Palpatine out of the picture!

I got my new camera today, so hopefully tomorrow I should be able to provide a few better pics of where I'm at so far. I actually took the big step and started gluing down some of the walls and floors. The first floor in almost done and I'm about to start on the ceilings textures, so this should be fun.

Reaction score
Well, the image quality on the camera I got is only slightly better, which tells me I'm just not a very good photographer lol. Guess that's another thing I have to work on. Anyway here's a few shots of the first floor walls, now permanently attached. The coolest thing is that it is now a free-standing unit, which not only takes up less space, but I never have to worry about taking it apart again! There is a very slight teeter, which was expected, and I believe is partly due to a little warpage in the base wall. Once the upper levels are attached, if it's still there I'll just shim the bottom, which won't be noticeable.

As you can see, I said to hell with the string pulley setup for the trash walls. The rods, which I had originally tried, I found work much better with the little feet I had installed to keep the walls straight when pulling the strings. I'd have liked to have the rods underneath, but there was no room down there with the supports. The bottom of the unit was already glued together and I didn't want to rebuild it, so here we are. There's still some drag, and on the Lazy Susan it's a little difficult to open the walls back up using the rods, but we never really see that happen in the movie anyway, so it can be done by hand. I'll try to shoot another video of it later.

The chasm bottom texture somehow got flipped in my imaging software, so I'll have to re-print that one before it's attached so it lines up properly.

Next I'll be starting on the first floor ceilings!

Reaction score
Looks great so far!!

Here is a pic of the trash compactor set. I couldn't find anything better. Have you watched the scene again looking for the ceiling?
No, I was too lazy to go back and do it, but I seem to remember from looking for it another time that they didn't really show it. I just went off Muftak's suggestion for it.

Time for another decent-sized update. I did get the first floor nearly complete, save for the hallway outside of the trash compactor and the chasm bottom. While jumping back and forth between working on the trash chute and other stuff, I started putting up some of the 2nd floor walls.

Here's a couple shots of the rooms that are mostly done, complete with the ceiling textures -

The Utility Room (will put the Stormtrooper bunker in here but not permanently, so it will have more options)

Vader's Chamber:

You can't see it too well, but the ceiling texture does have a fade so it appears the light is glowing.

Superlaser Control Room:

For this I just used black posterboard to keep the room looking a little darker.

Here's a few of the second floor rooms that are mostly done save for the ceilings -

Luke/Leia Running Room (before chasm):

Luke/Leia Safe Room (after chasm):

A couple shots of the chasm in progress:

A couple full body shots:

And the Detention Block area, which I have to finish, or at least progress on, before I can get the trash chute, and hence the first floor, finalized. I'm still doing some test runs, trying to eliminate as much sticking as possible with the limited space I'm working with. If Chewie can slide down that thing after being put through the chute and not get stuck 9 out of 10 times, I'll consider it good enough.

And finally, a couple test shots with some lights I'm trying out. I looked for the smallest battery-powered lights I could find, and this is what I came up with. If you guys have any other suggestions on these, I'm still kind of looking around. The brightness on these isn't too bad, but I don't like the light rings they project on the surface. Fairy lights are out of the question because of the wires, and it's too late at this point to go back and try to fit in space for wiring, nor do I really want to take the time to do that. But let me know how this looks - the yellowish tint is due to the settings I had on the camera at the time, so try to ignore that.

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping :grin:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Man, I'm completely in awe - and at a loss of words. This is shaping up to such an incredible playset! There is a lot of word/wishes of a death star playset as the next haslab-project, but one thing is clear to me; if Hasbro did one, it would never be as cool and full of playvalue as yours. This is just tremendous work. Now, that you are closer and closer to finishing this monster, don't let any rebels near ;) :D

The lights look good to me. I like that the walls reflect a bit of it, makes them look more metallic and real. :)

Reaction score
Yeah, that is really starting to come together well. Vader's chamber looks good with the 500th figure in there, for sure.

The lights are no big deal either way. If you don't like the reflections, maybe you can jury-rig some kind of diffuser around them to take the edge off. In the end they will be there to help you enjoy the display when set up, so your eye has to be the judge on what is too much and what's just right.

I like taking pictures of finished projects, but I don't enjoy the process of doing lighting set-ups for stuff. I love taking early-morning shots when the sunlight is streaming through eastern windows and just letting nature take its course.

Can't wait to see the Detention Center come into its own in your set-up.

Reaction score
Man, I'm completely in awe - and at a loss of words. This is shaping up to such an incredible playset! There is a lot of word/wishes of a death star playset as the next haslab-project, but one thing is clear to me; if Hasbro did one, it would never be as cool and full of playvalue as yours. This is just tremendous work. Now, that you are closer and closer to finishing this monster, don't let any rebels near ;) :D

The lights look good to me. I like that the walls reflect a bit of it, makes them look more metallic and real. :)
Wow, thanks, that means a lot! Originally I was just going to do a little 16" version, but the Haslab sail barge inspired me to go bigger, sort of a 'what if' kind of thing. If and when we do get a Haslab DS, I'm sure it will be awesome, regardless of how they choose to carry it out. I am of course a fan of the all-inclusive, self-contained playsets like those of old :)

Yeah, that is really starting to come together well. Vader's chamber looks good with the 500th figure in there, for sure.

The lights are no big deal either way. If you don't like the reflections, maybe you can jury-rig some kind of diffuser around them to take the edge off. In the end they will be there to help you enjoy the display when set up, so your eye has to be the judge on what is too much and what's just right.

I like taking pictures of finished projects, but I don't enjoy the process of doing lighting set-ups for stuff. I love taking early-morning shots when the sunlight is streaming through eastern windows and just letting nature take its course.

Can't wait to see the Detention Center come into its own in your set-up.
Hopefully this next update will not disappoint :) Yes, I am starting to get the hang of my new camera, and the biggest issue of course was lighting. I also ordered a tri-pod so I can turn down the shutter speed and hopefully eliminate some of the noise. Unfortunately I have too many trees around my house to get really good naturally-lit shots, but yes that does seem to be the way to go! For now I may get a third snake light that I'll use exclusively to light my shots.

I'm ready for a break, so it's update time again!

Here's a look at the floor for the d-block before I mess it up trying to glue stuff to it!

And here is the base floor for the d-block. The popsicle sticks were used to straighten the ceiling of the trash compactor. And as you see, I have the chute rigged up for more test runs. Chewie actually got 10 out of 10 head first with his arms down, but about 5 out of 10 with arms up. I'm about ready to call it good.

In the spirit of Bob Ross, I made a mistake that turned into a happy accident, a bird, or whatever you want to say lol. I designed my own control panel from scratch in Gimp, meant to cover the entire wall beside the lift. Later I realized I had printed it in the wrong size. Instead of wasting more time going to the print shop and printing a new one, I decided to make it a 'recessed' control panel and made a border out of some assorted scraps from my other wall textures ...and voila!

I'm pretty proud of it, though it almost looks more like a mixing board than a control panel, but oh well. A lot went into this thing!

I got the chasm floor re-printed and glued down finally.

Here's some WIP shots of the Detention Block.

I plan on doing a 3d-printed version of the control panel to replace this one at a later date.

I decided to give up on an accurate door and got with one that slides in and out from the side. Oh well.

Just glued down the first component!

Preparing for the next...

A shot of the original upper floor for the room. It was pretty badly warped so I decided to make a new one. Glad I did.

Tried something a little different here. A combination of mostly Elmer's with hot glue in certain spots.

A preview of the lift room with the walls up. Components still aren't glued down.

More pics as the D-block starts to come together. At this point only stairs and the cell bed are glued down, soon followed by the cell door/trash chute door piece.

Now with the door piece glued down (pain in the *****!!). I'll get some shots with the cover before it gets blown off, too, later.

One instance where Chewie's ball-jointed ankles will come in handy...

And another shot of the lift room with the computer glued down. Lift still not glued down.

One bad thing about the D-block is that once everything is glued down, including the floor and ceiling, it will be much more limited as far as photography and play space go. I've played around with the idea of just leaving the floor unattached to the rest of the unit so I can slide it out if need be, but of coarse it will take away from the aesthetics around the edges and give less overall support to the final structure. So I'm not sure how I'll approach that one. I may just have to take every possible shot I can think of before gluing the room down permanently lol.

That's all for now! I have an actual 2-day weekend coming up this week for a change, so hopefully I can get another good chunk of stuff done.

Take care!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Let's see.....where do I begin? This is getting effing SICK, man! It's just awesomeness piled onto awesomeness wrapped in awesomeness smothered in awesomesauce. The thing that this demonstrates above all else to me is how to put it all together where you have rooms that connect seamlessly and have all the detail and atmosphere captured so perfectly. It's tough to do a single little death star scene. This is pretty all encompassing, it's sooooooooo much harder to have that much versatility and diversity where the whole thing just is put together in such a beautiful way. I am inspired and in awe. It is with admiration that I must quote Charleton Heston at the end of the 1968 version of Planet of The Apes, but.....upon seeing this and taking the neccesary time to let all the awesome soak in.........." AHHhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Damn you!!!!!! Damn you allll to hell!!!" Seriously, I am so blown away by this. For anyone unfamiliar with the POTA reference, I literally spoke the lines from 4:45 on in the following clip....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrgIXVKmcZY

Keep blowing it up, you maniac.

Last edited:
Reaction score
WOW, what an awesome play set/diorama. If I had this I would probably play with it all the time, lol. Beautiful use of foamboard, cardstock and those magnificent printed walls and floors. Hasbro could NEVER come close to this awesomeness even if they tried. I'm really quite jealous of your fomboard skills. Those angled cuts and joints looks flawless.

Reaction score
Thanks so much, everyone, for looking and for all the kind words!

Here's another quick update. I planned on taking more photos tonight but I have to charge my camera. Before I glue down the d-block and put in the ceiling I need to take as many pictures as I can, since some shots will be next to impossible later on.

The first floor is basically complete! Here's a couple quick shots:

Need to clean up the ceiling a little on this one after a little hot glue mishap!^

With the stormie bunks in the Utility Room:

It's removable, of course, as other accessories for it will be. Later I'd like to do a smaller version of the 'Stormtrooper drawers' as shown in the DS manual.

Got the trash chute glued down, and I must say it's very sturdy.

And a few more of the D-block without figures. Only big change is the grate leading to the trash chute.

More soon!

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is just ridiculously amazing. The shine of the red floor and if I didn't know any better I'd swear the panels had lights in them. So well done.

Reaction score
The progress is stellar! The testament to the strength of your design is how much the cell block looks like the POTF2 playset. It is all coming together so well now, it feels like the home stretch!

Reaction score
This is just ridiculously amazing. The shine of the red floor and if I didn't know any better I'd swear the panels had lights in them. So well done.
Thank you bwize!

The progress is stellar! The testament to the strength of your design is how much the cell block looks like the POTF2 playset. It is all coming together so well now, it feels like the home stretch!
Thanks, Muftak! It does, and I'm getting antsy, but when I get to it I keep realizing how much more there is to do!

Love what you did with the chasim I did the same thing years ago.
Nice. I'd love to see pics if you have any!

Here's another quick update. So the second floor is now finished, for the most part. The D-block is all glued down, as well as the lift in the Lift Room.

I took a few pics with the D-block that will no longer be possible with it glued down and once the ceiling is attached.

Where are you taking this... thing?

Luke, we're gonna have company!

I wanted a way to access the D-block Control Room once it was glued down and the ceiling is up, so I decided to use these tiny doll house hinges I ordered for the closet door in the Red Control Room. It isn't pretty, but, well... functional. The door/wall has been touched up a little since. I'll post more pics later.

...and a couple pics of the Lift Room glued down, with a ceiling texture and a step.

Reaction score
Yeah, I was struggling to figure out the problem, and thought to look and see if something like that existed. They're so small that a hot glue is pretty messy on them. Crazy Glue would probably be the best bet.

I'm currently working on the third floor, which includes the docking bay. Here's a pic of it all painted and ready for the next step.

And now that the black is looking nice and shiny like we want it, time to prepare for the floor arrows. Originally I'd thought of doing these in white vinyl wrap. After working with it on the floors, I decided to use cardstock textures on glossy paper. After gluing down the outline around the lift, which didn't quite come out how I'd hoped, I decided against that, as well. So these will be painted on.

Incidentally, all these coins will also be used to pay the workers building this thing. Lol, just kidding, the Empire doesn't pay their workers ;)

This was the second time I had to do this. I actually had the things painted, got white paint in places I didn't want, and by the time I'd touched it up, I wasn't happy with it. So I painted the whole thing in black again and started over!

Now, to see how it comes out this time...

Still a couple little blemishes, but much better and more manageable than last time!

Before we get back to that, here's a look at the Blast Door Room, with background wall and a brand new, better quality blast door! The slides go in and out very smoothly, so I'm pretty happy with it. I still need to paint the edges.

And now the Duel Room with all the walls up...

And with that, back to the hangar bay. Again the frame around the lift is a little warpy, but paint would not work on this since I needed something to cover the seam between the floor and the body of the lift. I may just have to live with it like this for now, until I get ambitious enough to cut out the whole piece, spackle around the edges and repaint it.

The hangar bay, with the arrows touched up around the edges:

Reaction score
That hangar is looking good. I have never been a fan of spraypainting foamcore, I just don't have a delicate enough touch and I really don't have the patience to do the masking properly. Your chevrons turned out great, it doesn't matter how many times you had to do it as long as the last one works. The lift area looks like it just needs a new pristine cutout and a smoother adhesive underneath.

I'll admit I was unsure about having the hangar door on the inside wall when you proposed it (because my literal brain needs the outside on the exterior) but this works. The tab on the insert is becoming very visible, though!)

Good update, thanks!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Robbed! Where are the full frontal money shots?

This is looking fantastic. The time you put into this redoing parts you are unhappy with will all be worth it in the end.

The floor looks great, although I agree with Muftak that the lift boarder needs to be replaced. The Emperor would not be pleased with the workmanship and could trip over that.

As for the visible tab, you could either put a sticker matching the background, or (better IMO) create some kind of utility box sticker so it visually makes sense that it is sticking out from the wall.

Or you can make it into a basketball hoop since the model of the hanger had one in it!

I'm learning a lot from watching you build this.

Reaction score
Absolutely amazing! The gloss black floors look fantastic. I would have so much fun posing figures throughout this.

Reaction score
The shots with the coins made me think of birthday cards where you stuff coins into slots or some kind of gambling game. Great update, please continue the awesomeness.

Reaction score
That hangar is looking good. I have never been a fan of spraypainting foamcore, I just don't have a delicate enough touch and I really don't have the patience to do the masking properly. Your chevrons turned out great, it doesn't matter how many times you had to do it as long as the last one works. The lift area looks like it just needs a new pristine cutout and a smoother adhesive underneath.

I'll admit I was unsure about having the hangar door on the inside wall when you proposed it (because my literal brain needs the outside on the exterior) but this works. The tab on the insert is becoming very visible, though!)

Good update, thanks!
Thanks for looking, and all the helpful advice! I've messed up a bunch of stuff trying to spray paint the foam core, but if I do it with very thin layers over time, I've ended up with some pretty nice results on some stuff. I'll barely dust the surface, set my timer for 15 minutes, then do the same. I'll keep doing that until the whole thing is completely covered. Then I'll go ahead and spray on one nice, well-saturated coat that will really show the gloss. I can usually do this in about an hour or two at the most, depending on the size of the piece. And of course I'm working on other stuff while I'm waiting, so it's still productive time :)

Robbed! Where are the full frontal money shots?

This is looking fantastic. The time you put into this redoing parts you are unhappy with will all be worth it in the end.

The floor looks great, although I agree with Muftak that the lift boarder needs to be replaced. The Emperor would not be pleased with the workmanship and could trip over that.

As for the visible tab, you could either put a sticker matching the background, or (better IMO) create some kind of utility box sticker so it visually makes sense that it is sticking out from the wall.

Or you can make it into a basketball hoop since the model of the hanger had one in it!

I'm learning a lot from watching you build this.
Alright, Utinniii, you wanted the full-frontal, you got it!

Absolutely amazing! The gloss black floors look fantastic. I would have so much fun posing figures throughout this.
Thank you! And I'm really looking forward to that part!

The shots with the coins made me think of birthday cards where you stuff coins into slots or some kind of gambling game. Great update, please continue the awesomeness.
Thanks so much, and will do!

Yes, it really appears that the Empire is nickel and dime-ing the construction. :p
LOL

This will be the last update before I put on the removable top floor, which means by then the main part of the construction/painting/texturing will be finished, for the most part. I will probably always have things to go back and fix/add on later, but I'm on a bit of a deadline right now as the end of summer is upon me. So with that, here we go!

First I want to say thanks so much, Muftak and Utinniii, for urging me to re-do the border around the hangar bay lift. I really wasn't happy with it and the extra push helped me say 'well, f*** it!', lol. As far as the tab on the slide goes, that will be dealt with soon, as well.

To start here's a pic of the Droid Alcove:

The other side is the wall for the Blast Door Room. Han better watch out!

And the little wall section slides right out so the area can be open, as well.

Trying to straighten the walls while preparing to glue down the Overbridge floor. There is still some warpage near the second floor that it may be too late to fix, but oh well.

The hangar bay with the new and improved lift border!

I'm so much happier with the way this one turned out! I basically very carefully cut out the piece I glued down, masked all around, sanded, filled in with light-weight spackle, sanded, filled again, sanded, filled again, sanded and painted. It was a 2-day process, but well worth it.

The Overbridge:

The soon-to-be Red Control Room:

The Lift Hub/Tractor Beam area:

The hangy thing that they swing from is removable so I can replace it with a better-quality 3d-printed version later.

The Lift Hub walkway and Tractor Beam walkway area also removable, so if/when I decide to attempt fixing the chasm wall, it will still be accessible.

I also created a texture for the tractor beam emitter:

Alright, so as not to disappoint, here's a couple (uncensored) full frontal (and back and side) shots!

More very soon!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Bwahahahahahahahahah!

I never noticed or knew you were putting a window in the overbridge. That is all kinds of awesome. Usually I dislike when reflective surfaces pick up surrounding detail but that is perfect. It really enhances it.

I have more to gush but I'm going away for the weekend. I'll write more later.

But really, too lazy to add a couple of dozen figures when your take your photos? Is that too much to ask??????