3.75" Professionally Made Kenner Style Customs & Repros Discussion

Just pre-ordered the Emperor's Throne Room playset from Paleetoys

I've got a buddy who raves about those Paleetoys sets.

Visually, they feel a bit too 'busy' for me. Too much detail per square inch.

I feel like the figures get a bit lost in the environment. I haven't bitten the bullet on one yet.

Alex

I’ve been SO close to spamming that “Buy It Now” button on those. I’ve had some of them on my “Watch” list for years (and I keep it pretty trim—never over ten or twelve items at the most). The Paleetoys just linger, but I can’t make myself do it.

I understand the “per square inch” argument. They do seem like a busy lot. But my main problem is just finding display space. I’ve filled a whole home addition with my collection, but I’m now officially out of room (I have a spot set aside for The Ghost, but that’s about all I got left). It’s weird—sometimes I like “busy,” and sometimes I don’t. If someone gave me $250 and 250 square inches, I’d like “busy” more.

I can't believe your new addition is already full!

Oh, wait a minute......I can TOTALLY believe that. I've seen some of the cool stuff you've collected.

I've started this thread with the hope of having a civil and productive discussion about the controversies, as well as excitement & joy that can arise in the world of Kenner Star Wars Action Figure collecting communities. Please be respectful of everyone's opinions and avoid being verbally aggressive towards other members.

For 30+ years I did not purchase any type of custom or repro action figure while collecting 3.75" Star Wars action figures. My very first purchase of a "custom" was from a company called MyFace. They produced toy sized heads that are made by taking a digital scan of your face. I thought this was the coolest thing ever! Within the last few years, I have begun to purchase professionally made "Kenner style" action figures from a handful of customizers that offer them in large quantities to a larger customer base. (Stan Solo, Pro Custom Figures, Toy Weaver)

As a MOC & Loose, graded & non-graded collector, I initially had reservations about making these purchases because I was concerned if I was supporting a "black market type" business that could flood the collecting market with items that could be passed off as originals. My own personal conscientious method of purchasing any of these customs (even Hasbro's Retro Collection) has been to make sure the items are recognizably different in some way from the originals (stamped SS, not stamped, slight sculpt difference, etc), or to focus on buying the figures that have never been made by Kenner or Hasbro, and looked amazing when included in my collection.

I personally think these customizers are offering the community something great that for whatever reason, Hasbro has not been offering.
In all honesty about the faux-vintage or vintage-style figures and such, I have such mixed feelings even if some of them are totally reserved. When it comes to the repro or anti-repro business, I'm not really all that fussed as I hate to get involved in such conflict. Really, I have no problems about it as I find it very interesting and fascinating as if we answered the age-old 'what if' question and we made it into a satisfying reality. I have collected some custom figures in my time and they still proudly remain part of my collection so I see nothing wrong with retro style things.

In short, I'm on no-one's side.

I just realized I forgot to order a third leg for R4-M9 when I ordered that the other day...doh. I love paying extra for shipping anyway. :)

Got these guys today! Vader is pretty daggum cool…I may have to hunt down a vinyl cape to see if I like it better that way. I luckily remembered to buy the 3rd legs, because unlike moneybags Kneel_before_Zod, I don’t like paying shipping twice 😂 😉

Attachments

• IMG_7802.jpeg
    IMG_7802.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7803.jpeg
    IMG_7803.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
So I’m collecting at least two 77-85 sets and got into customs big time along the way — but I like carded figures. I plan to recard an original set, and have been messing around with carding customs (that weren’t offered as such):

IMG_1898 2.jpeg

Clockwise from top left:
  • Procustomfigures Sandtrooper + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • SLC/Stan Solo Luke + Resort Nation Cardback Kit, sealed
  • Death Star Droid + Resort Nation Cardback Kit, unsealed
  • Horn Head Outer Rim Creations Custom + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • SS Lando General + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • Next 17 Tusk Face + Next 17 card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • Next 17 Devil Man + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • Next 17 Sloth Man + Next 17 card + 4th Moon clamshell case
Some thoughts:

Toy Polloi reviewed Restore Nation, and the two samples above looked OK, but I feel like KennerByKing and Replicator Boxes print quality are better. In addition, the Death Star Droid bubble and foot cardboard did not fit (to small, which is why I did not seal).

The Next 17 cardbacks are of the same quality as KennerByKing and Replicator Boxes, and fit in the 4th Moon clamshell perfectly.

Unfortunately, the KennerByKing cardbacks are just a little too tall for the 4th Moon clamshells and would likely warp a bit over time. That’s OK, as I will likely seal bubbles instead, but I was hoping the clamshell would work until then,.

So, for me, I will look to record my first 12 with Replicator Boxes (I wish he had done the full 77-85 run). Then, it’s looking for the best options for cardbacks and bubbles. There’s many out there, so I’m still experimenting a bit.

Thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
My thoughts are Bom Vimdin, Tanus Spijek, Labria, and J’Quille.

Reactions: M13
Definitely. Sometimes. I often can’t resist the Kenner connection.

Today, I got this supposedly custom/repro Blue Snaggletooth in the mail. If it is repro, it's a damn convincing one. Made of pretty good materials and constructed very well, too. I don't know who the manufacturer is, as it came from a eBay returns store. I'll let you folks be the judge:

UCdMWoF.jpg

UdwX8d0.jpg

tc2JwjK.jpg

Hl9mbNu.jpg

LLCxaoi.jpg

I also recently got a Stan Solo Dagobah Luke, Death Star Droid, R3-T2 & R4-M9:
4RPJ0Df.jpg

nYAksUG.jpg

Last edited:
Today, I got this supposedly custom/repro Blue Snaggletooth in the mail. If it is repro, it's a damn convincing one. Made of pretty good materials and constructed very well, too. I don't know who the manufacturer is, as it came from a eBay returns store. I'll let you folks be the judge:

Speaking of the bootleg Blue Snaggletooth's on Ebay, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bootleg EV-9D9s and Sise Fromm's that are available there as well:

EV-9D9.jpgsise.png

UCdMWoF.jpg
I got my Blue Snaggletooth from the same person. I like this repro very much.

Speaking of the bootleg Blue Snaggletooth's on Ebay, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bootleg EV-9D9s and Sise Fromm's that are available there as well:

View attachment 491610
I have a SS EV-9D9, but I've been looking for a second. I wonder how this one holds up compared to true vintage.

Damn a bootleg Sise Fromm would have been tempting when I was convincing myself it was justified to pay an insane $1200 for one early last year.

While we’re at this, what’s with these weird eBay accounts with big quantities of this stuff… there is another seller who has moved like 30 SLC Stormtrooper Hans recently and a half a dozen SLC Leias…

I think Krahn artist is selling through others.

I agree with this. He's had some prototype SLC stuff up for grabs as well - IIRC, he had Beru and a couple of the other "13" prototypes on Ebay awhile back. I think I posted pics at the time if anyone wants to go back through the thread and find them. I'm guessing it's him, a buddy or a family member. The seller is in the Cleveland area and is only ~2 hours from where the SLC guy lived.

While we’re at this, what’s with these weird eBay accounts with big quantities of this stuff… there is another seller who has moved like 30 SLC Stormtrooper Hans recently and a half a dozen SLC Leias…

I got my Stormtrooper Han from an eBay Returns seller (going as retrobobbyshop) and the Snaggletooth from a jeff Osbo Ebay Returns (jerrythekinglawler).

I think Krahn artist is selling through others.

That was my thought too but it seems like a lot of work to make a few hundred dollars, especially when it means drawing attention to yourself while owing thousands and thousands of dollars to such a large group of people.

I didn't know about the bootleg Sise Fromms, thanks for letting us in. It's more than I'd want to pay, but I was thinking in the past two years that I would be very angry with myself if I ripped the cape on my Sise, due to the replacement costs. If the repro makers ever sell that cape by itself, let me know. I'd happily get one and dress my real Sise in it, with the authentic cape locked away flat somewhere.

Alex

So I’m collecting at least two 77-85 sets and got into customs big time along the way — but I like carded figures. I plan to record on original set, and have been messing around with carding customs (that weren’t offered as such):

View attachment 491536

Clockwise from top left:
  • Procustomfigures Sandtrooper + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • SLC/Stan Solo Luke + Resort Nation Cardback Kit, sealed
  • Death Star Droid + Resort Nation Cardback Kit, unsealed
  • Horn Head Outer Rim Creations Custom + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • SS Lando General + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • Next 17 Tusk Face + Next 17 card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • Next 17 Devil Man + KennerbyKing Card + 4th Moon clamshell case
  • Next 17 Sloth Man + Next 17 card + 4th Moon clamshell case
Some thoughts:

Toy Polloi reviewed Restore Nation, and the two samples above looked OK, but I feel like KennerByKing and Replicator Boxes print quality are better. In addition, the Death Star Droid bubble and foot cardboard did not fit (to small, which is why I did not seal).

The Next 17 cardbacks are of the same quality as KennerByKing and Replicator Boxes, and fit in the 4th Moon clamshell perfectly.

Unfortunately, the KennerByKing cardbacks are just a little too tall for the 4th Moon clamshells and would likely warp a bit over time. That’s OK, as I will likely seal bubbles instead, but I was hoping the clamshell would work until then,.

So, for me, I will look to record my first 12 with Replicator Boxes (I wish he had done the full 77-85 run). Then, it’s looking for the best options for cardbacks and bubbles. There’s many out there, so I’m still experimenting a bit.

Thoughts welcome.
Handsome bunch ;) Pretty jealous myself actually ;)

Reactions: M13
So I did this little experiment for myself, just for fun. That's what all this is about, after all. This is a sort of Leia Upgrade Pack: a soft goods cape in white and her own comms. I really like it so I've decided to put some of my stock up in case anyone is interested. www.thenext17.com

I'm not going to make these for real, it's just the odd bits I had to order to get this made.

The cape is a white version of the Wave 2 cape I made for Luke and Obiwan and the comms is a grey version of Wave 3 Owen's comms

20240417-leia cape.jpgcomm.jpg

That particular SS figure always makes me happy. You may recognize this 1998 pic from our conversation in the other thread. Look just off-center next to the yellow R5.

pxl_20230303_162012063-jpg.453453

And here's a screencap from theswca.com to prove how the misnomer 'Death Star Droid' has been bothering me for roughly a quarter century.

black DSD pet peeve.jpg

A link to the original article, without the arrow added.

"Look, Sir. Droids!"

The unboxing when I first received the SS version of this deco.

My SS figure, photographed for my 2022 "365" album, where I posted a pic of a Star Wars item every single day. The backdrop was some sparkly green Christmas foil paper to go in gift bags. I thought it had a very '20 back' Kenner look as an action figure backdrop, so it became the unifying element linking the entire album.

black DSD SS.jpg

And finally, a comparison pic of (l to r) the Kenner figure, my loose-limbed spray-painted custom from 1998, and the sturdy vac-metallized figure acquired in 2022.

black DSD comparison pic.jpg

I have since bought the SS replica of the silver Death Star Droid, but I just now realized I haven't done a comparison pic which includes him.

Alex

Last edited:
That particular SS figure always makes me happy. You may recognize this 1998 pic from our conversation in the other thread. Look just off-center next to the yellow R5.

pxl_20230303_162012063-jpg.453453

And here's a screencap from theswca.com to prove how the misnomer 'Death Star Droid' has been bothering me for roughly a quarter century.

View attachment 491684

A link to the original article, without the arrow added.

"Look, Sir. Droids!"

The unboxing when I first received the SS version of this deco.

My SS figure, photographed for my 2022 "365" album, where I posted a pic of a Star Wars item every single day. The backdrop was some sparkly green Christmas foil paper to go in gift bags. I thought it had a very '20 back' Kenner look as an action figure backdrop, so it became the unifying element linking the entire album.

View attachment 491685

And finally, a comparison pic of (l to r) the Kenner figure, my loose-limbed spray-painted custom from 1998, and the sturdy vac-metallized figure acquired in 2022.

View attachment 491686

I have since bought the SS replica of the silver Death Star Droid, but I just now realized I haven't done a comparison pic which includes him.

Alex
I really like quite a few of those customs and wish Hasbro would make some in the Retro series: Thrawn, Uncle Owen and more Imperial Moffs, but I doubt that ever happens...hence, the reason we support good customizers like Stan Solo, Procustom Figs, The Next 17 and others when they make the figures Hasbro isn't making.

If anybody does or has bit on one of those bootleg Sise Fromm figures I'd be interested in some pics and to hear how the quality is.

Other than a Bobby Fett, who am I missing from the repro Droids releases?

Vlix is not included per se since he's from the Brazilian line, but I wanted to show him off none the less. :)

View attachment 491718View attachment 491719View attachment 491720
View attachment 491721View attachment 491722View attachment 491723
View attachment 491717
The Stormtrooper and EV-9D9 are customs, not repros (although very cool).
I have also these: https://www.creaturecantina.com/droidsCustoms.cfm

Well, yeah, correct on EV and ST.

Are the ones you have from the guy in the UK?
In my collection, I have carded repro's from Stan Solo of C-3PO, R2-D2 and A-Wing Pilot, and the Stan Solo custom R5-D4 on card. I am not 100% clear on the Boba Fett repo I have -- I believe it's by SLC, but not sure if it pre-dates Stan Solo. I do like it very much. I am looking for custom Stormtrooper (with the blue deco). At some point I would like to buy the 7 Unproduced Vintage Star Wars Droids Figures by Procustomfigures.

Back