3.75" Professionally Made Kenner Style Customs & Repros Discussion

Reaction score
I've started this thread with the hope of having a civil and productive discussion about the controversies, as well as excitement & joy that can arise in the world of Kenner Star Wars Action Figure collecting communities. Please be respectful of everyone's opinions and avoid being verbally aggressive towards other members.

For 30+ years I did not purchase any type of custom or repro action figure while collecting 3.75" Star Wars action figures. My very first purchase of a "custom" was from a company called MyFace. They produced toy sized heads that are made by taking a digital scan of your face. I thought this was the coolest thing ever! Within the last few years, I have begun to purchase professionally made "Kenner style" action figures from a handful of customizers that offer them in large quantities to a larger customer base. (Stan Solo, Pro Custom Figures, Toy Weaver)

As a MOC & Loose, graded & non-graded collector, I initially had reservations about making these purchases because I was concerned if I was supporting a "black market type" business that could flood the collecting market with items that could be passed off as originals. My own personal conscientious method of purchasing any of these customs (even Hasbro's Retro Collection) has been to make sure the items are recognizably different in some way from the originals (stamped SS, not stamped, slight sculpt difference, etc), or to focus on buying the figures that have never been made by Kenner or Hasbro, and looked amazing when included in my collection.

I personally think these customizers are offering the community something great that for whatever reason, Hasbro has not been offering.

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, Chris Smith here, owner of Stan Solo..
Now I understand both sides to collecting, especially when reproductions are made, this is why I wanted to meet the anti-repro half way and put my stamp on my figures, which I do so on the leg, and also mark Stan Solo on the back of my cards.
Now I have to be honest, I do see more of a problem with my weapons, but they are ALL made with differences on purpose..
People do have the argument that they can be passed on to scammers... Now I cant help that, yes I make them...but im not prepared to stop making them due to the minority who rip people off. My case is, if you receive something thats not original which was stated it is, then you ask for refund, if they dont then that is when you have name and shame them.... I hate people getting duped as much as anyone here, and I have blocked and banned many that have asked suspicious questions like will they pass grading????? This is not my motive for making these.
To me its very simple, if you start collecting vintage Star Wars, then you need to do your research like any other collectable hobby.
Ive had a lot of hate in this hobby and some which cant be repeated on here.
Like I mentioned on the previous thread, this is NO different to people making high end Star Wars masks and costumes.... Let people collect what they want. 👍🏽

Reaction score
Now I understand both sides to collecting, especially when reproductions are made, this is why I wanted to meet the anti-repro half way and put my stamp on my figures, which I do so on the leg, and also mark Stan Solo on the back of my cards.
Now I have to be honest, I do see more of a problem with my weapons, but they are ALL made with differences on purpose..
People do have the argument that they can be passed on to scammers... Now I cant help that, yes I make them...but im not prepared to stop making them due to the minority who rip people off. My case is, if you receive something thats not original which was stated it is, then you ask for refund, if they dont then that is when you have name and shame them.... I hate people getting duped as much as anyone here, and I have blocked and banned many that have asked suspicious questions like will they pass grading????? This is not my motive for making these.
To me its very simple, if you start collecting vintage Star Wars, then you need to do your research like any other collectable hobby.
Like I mentioned on the previous thread, this is NO different to people making high end Star Wars masks and costumes.... Let people collect what they want. 👍🏽

Welcome aboard - I'm curious, what is the average tooling cost for a single figure before production? Likewise, what is a standard production run for you - is there a difference between demand for a repro compared to a custom / kitbash?

Reaction score
I absolutely applaud the fact that you stamp yours and mark the back of the cards. I hope your company's focus is to keep making figures that have never been made. I believe the high quality, missing figures you and the other custom repro makers that I mentioned bring a collectible value to your own creations & brand.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard - I'm curious, what is the average tooling cost for a single figure before production? Likewise, what is a standard production run for you - is there a difference between demand for a repro compared to a custom / kitbash?

Thats a good question, so the steel moulds are roughly £4000.
I usually produce 1000 figures at £8-10 each, depending what figure, so thats 14k-16k on one project
The reproduction sell a lot more than custom which I am surpised with.... Mind.... I have an Oola which will be available in the next month which I think will be my favourite.

Attachments

• mmexport1618970431973.jpg
    mmexport1618970431973.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 64
Reaction score
I absolutely applaud the fact that you stamp yours and mark the back of the cards. I hope your company's focus is to keep making figures that have never been made. I believe the high quality, missing figures you and the other custom repro makers that I mentioned bring a collectible value to your own creations & brand.

Yes.... I admit I have a few Last 17 getting made, this was due a reaction of someone posting something and reporting me... Not the greatest reaction from me, I hold my hands up...... But after these last few...... All will be custom 100% for good

Reaction score
Maybe this should be its own thread to not go off topic….., but is there a reputable place to get a 3.75 scale custom head of yourself? I have seen it offered up a few times but haven’t seen the results. I know my face was already mentioned.

On topic: I support all customs as it brings a needed creativity to the hobby, & I hope all/most of us can agree, that Anything fraudulent is bad.

Reaction score
Yes.... I feel if Hasbro would release cool figures, I wouldnt have to.... They are a billionaire company and I cant compete with those prices.
2 years ago, I was planning to make a Tarkin, and then Hasbro did,.... Now I dont mind that, these are 9.99....but they should know their market, know their age they are aiming at... But they dont....imagine a whole new run of Kenner star wars vintage style figures..and yet they they bring out 12 that are relatively easy to get... And then miss put ROTJ.
If they are going to do Reproductions, do the last 17, then go onto customs..... I feel the researchers at these companies have no clue unfortunately.

Reaction score
Yes.... I feel if Hasbro would release cool figures, I wouldnt have to.... They are a billionaire company and I cant compete with those prices.
2 years ago, I was planning to make a Tarkin, and then Hasbro did,.... Now I dont mind that, these are 9.99....but they should know their market, know their age they are aiming at... But they dont....imagine a whole new run of Kenner star wars vintage style figures..and yet they they bring out 12 that are relatively easy to get... And then miss put ROTJ.
If they are going to do Reproductions, do the last 17, then go onto customs..... I feel the researchers at these companies have no clue unfortunately.
Are you planning to ever do figures from beyond the OT? Like EU figures? I know A Thrawn exists from another company, but people like Lumiya, or Jaxxon would be cool to see.

Reaction score
Thats a good question, so the steel moulds are roughly £4000.
I usually produce 1000 figures at £8-10 each, depending what figure, so thats 14k-16k on one project
The reproduction sell a lot more than custom which I am surpised with.... Mind.... I have an Oola which will be available in the next month which I think will be my favourite.

That's interesting, ever given any thought to the Tonnika Sisters, since Kenner / Hasbro has never made them as action figures? Also, how do you determine interest in customs of a certain character before production - using Oola for example, was there a significant demand for a Kenner style version of her to warrant making 1000, or do you offer it for pre-order before production, similar to Haslab?

Reaction score
Yes, I plan to do the Tonnika sisters.... To be honest, I dont really do polls or suggestions, if a figure doesnt sell well, id prefer it to be on my toes lol.
I basically look at who Kenner missed who played a decent part in the film.. For example Luke Dagobah or Slave Leia.... I find it so strange on Kenners choice of figures and who they left out.

I used to do pre-orders, but Slave Leia is my last. Unfortunately people dont read and order wrong, and its not worth it... So I just list them when in hand.

Reaction score
That's interesting, ever given any thought to the Tonnika Sisters, since Kenner / Hasbro has never made them as action figures? Also, how do you determine interest in customs of a certain character before production - using Oola for example, was there a significant demand for a Kenner style version of her to warrant making 1000, or do you offer it for pre-order before production, similar to Haslab?

Going back if a figure warrants making 1000,... I dont sell 1000 figures very quickly at all, but that is factory minimum orders..... And due to the steel mould costs, you'd have to get 1000 made just to make it worth while and not lose money... It does take months to sell them, i'll make that clear lol, especially customs, but the factory will store them for me also, I only get 100-200 sent at a time and they still take a while to sell

Reaction score
Chris makes some high quality stuff and he's doing it from a place of love not profit. And after chatting with him today, I think he's a genuinely good guy. Now while I don't agree with the unauthorized product market as a whole, if someone's going to do it (and there are obviously many who do) and show the source material some respect, at least it's Chris.

Reaction score
Chris makes some high quality stuff and he's doing it from a place of love not profit. And after chatting with him today, I think he's a genuinely good guy. Now while I don't agree with the unauthorized product market as a whole, if someone's going to do it (and there are obviously many who do) and show the source material some respect, at least it's Chris.

Well thank you very much Dean, I appreciate that, obviously a lot of people dont agree what I do, I fully understand their views, I have no hatred against anyone... but I agree, if these figures arent getting made by Hasbro, then surely the next best thing is high end quality ones, with a lot of thought and passion into them, I dont want the vintage line to end at 96 or how many it was.... I also give many free figures to a few of my sons class mate at school, they are only 7yr old lol, but id buzz if they got into vintage collecting when older.

Reaction score
Chris,
What is the best place to buy your figures? Etsy, Ebay, Facebook? Also, are all figures available both carded and loose, or are some only available in one or the other format?
Also, out of curiosity, is there are a forum or site that might comprehensively explain the dynamics and history of TFSB and Stan Solo, the differences and reasons for the split? I don't expect you to rehash everything here because I know it's something you've gone into before, but just curious to better understand the relationship.
Thank you!
SR

Reaction score
Chris,
What is the best place to buy your figures? Etsy, Ebay, Facebook? Also, are all figures available both carded and loose, or are some only available in one or the other format?
Also, out of curiosity, is there are a forum or site that might comprehensively explain the dynamics and history of TFSB and Stan Solo, the differences and reasons for the split? I don't expect you to rehash everything here because I know it's something you've gone into before, but just curious to better understand the relationship.
Thank you!
SR

My figures are on etsy, loose and carded.
There was never a split between myself and The Fans Strike Back, as we were never in partnership.
I started Smith Lord Creations, and Chris Krahn asked if he could sell some of my figures in the US and hed take a small percentage. I agreed to that....Then a couple of months later, my partner unfortunately got very ill and I was having to spend a lot of time looking after her.
Krahn asked if I was willing to sell the name and stock to him, to which I agreed as he promised me he'd be taking SLC to the next level lol. He said he had investors and professional sculptors. Well as soon as he took over it came clear this was not true.... He announced a very unrealistic 13 line to be ready in months.
And more importantly, he wasnt sending money to the factory as I was the one still being the middle man.
4 months went by,... By this time my Partner had an operation, she was on the mend... And I decided to start Stan Solo.

Reaction score
Thank you! Sorry to make you retell a story you've had to tell before..
Last question: is there a database of all of your creations, past and present?
Thanks for the great work!

Reaction score
My figures are on etsy, loose and carded.
There was never a split between myself and The Fans Strike Back, as we were never in partnership.
I started Smith Lord Creations, and Chris Krahn asked if he could sell some of my figures in the US and hed take a small percentage. I agreed to that....Then a couple of months later, my partner unfortunately got very ill and I was having to spend a lot of time looking after her.
Krahn asked if I was willing to sell the name and stock to him, to which I agreed as he promised me he'd be taking SLC to the next level lol. He said he had investors and professional sculptors. Well as soon as he took over it came clear this was not true.... He announced a very unrealistic 13 line to be ready in months.
And more importantly, he wasnt sending money to the factory as I was the one still being the middle man.
4 months went by,... By this time my Partner had an operation, she was on the mend... And I decided to start Stan Solo.
STILL waiting on 12 of my 13, and it's been 2 years, they have lost my business, and have since been buying from you exclusively.
make fleet troopers soon....lol

Reaction score
STILL waiting on 12 of my 13, and it's been 2 years, they have lost my business, and have since been buying from you exclusively.
make fleet troopers soon....lol

Yes, its a sad and bad situation.... I dont know whats going on there.... I dont know if he had good intentions in the beginning... And bit off more than he can chew..... But it would be much better if he was honest with customers... If he held his hands up and admitted it was bigger than he thought then at least people know.... At the moment its just updates with no images.... At least with images, it gives customers more confidence.
Unfortunately, and I'll be the first to admit, it doesnt look good for custom makers...This should never of happened

Reaction score
Yes, its a sad and bad situation.... I dont know whats going on there.... I dont know if he had good intentions in the beginning... And bit off more than he can chew..... But it would be much better if he was honest with customers... If he held his hands up and admitted it was bigger than he thought then at least people know.... At the moment its just updates with no images.... At least with images, it gives customers more confidence.
Unfortunately, and I'll be the first to admit, it doesnt look good for custom makers...This should never of happened
agreed. It's exactly why I did not back the bantha. Glad to see you will be doing one.

Reaction score
I just want to say a couple of things, first I appreciate been accepted on here.... Especially when the divide is toxic... Which is what I dont want... People will read and hear stuff about me, or read my rants on etsy.
How I see it, and whats most frustrating, can be my own customers, obviously not all.... But when things can be delayed or they are just plain rude, then I will say something back.
Unfortunately some of my customers are the ones that stress me the most, definitely more than the Anti-Repro crowd... As I know the Anti-Repro crowd dont like me, but Im not spending time away from my family making these, on my phone all the time,... These are for my customers and thats the hardest part...
People need to understand Im a one man band... and delays happen, but you can be assured, you will always get your products... But not if people are ****y lol, I just refund them and wont do business again, which is unfortunate as this is supposed to be fun. 👊🏽💥

Reaction score
I just want to say a couple of things, first I appreciate been accepted on here.... Especially when the divide is toxic... Which is what I dont want... People will read and hear stuff about me, or read my rants on etsy.
How I see it, and whats most frustrating, can be my own customers, obviously not all.... But when things can be delayed or they are just plain rude, then I will say something back.
Unfortunately some of my customers are the ones that stress me the most, definitely more than the Anti-Repro crowd... As I know the Anti-Repro crowd dont like me, but Im not spending time away from my family making these, on my phone all the time,... These are for my customers and thats the hardest part...
People need to understand Im a one man band... and delays happen, but you can be assured, you will always get your products... But not if people are ****y lol, I just refund them and wont do business again, which is unfortunate as this is supposed to be fun. 👊🏽💥
Paitence is key.

Reaction score
Patience is definitely a virtue! I also wish people would be more courteous towards others. Too many people these days lack emotional restraint in their daily lives.

Exactly 100%....And people need realise what goes into all this..
Also most of us have families, and they are always going to come first...
People need to see the bigger picture 👊🏽💥

Reaction score
Patience is definitely a virtue! I also wish people would be more courteous towards others. Too many people these days lack emotional restraint in their daily lives.
What are youse talkin about jerkface? I wants my stuff and wants it now. :mad:

:rolleyes:

I also have a business on Etsy, and know the types. People that piss me off most are the ones that ask for special things in custom quantities, ask about overnight shipping, I rush to fill the order, and after printing a $35 shipping label they cancel the order. The other group that kill me are the ones that leave bad reviews that are their own fault.
"These are small" -well did you actually read the measurements, and look at the picture that shows it next to a common everyday object? no?
That's on you.

Reaction score
Stansolo, I support your work 100%. I wish I can get more of your stuff this year if the ones I want are on sale.

Reaction score
Simply AMAZING!!!!! It took me a little while to save up for these, but IMO they are so worth it! Mr. Smith Stansolo14 is an ARTIST! I'm already planning on getting more of the ones I don't have. The Vinyl Jawa agrees(y)

Attachments

• IMG-7549.jpg
    IMG-7549.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Reaction score
I also really love the Stan Solo catalogue of figures. I have several and they are among my favorite pieces! I appreciate the thread and the discussion, and hope that people realize the intent!

Reaction score
I caved and bought a Stan Solo Han Stormtrooper Custom...I cannot wait to display it.

Also - I was at a local toy show and was a little shocked to find a "Fans Strike Back" table, promoting the figures and such at the event. Aren't a bunch of you waiting for a pre-order from eons ago to ship?

Reaction score
Also - I was at a local toy show and was a little shocked to find a "Fans Strike Back" table, promoting the figures and such at the event. Aren't a bunch of you waiting for a pre-order from eons ago to ship?
did they have the figures actually in hand there?

yep...some people ordered and paid in 2019

Reaction score
did they have the figures actually in hand there?

yep...some people ordered and paid in 2019
I believe they had a case of one carded figure, although I'm not sure what it was (maybe Thrawn or Luke Stormie). I walked by it, saw the TFB logo, and kept walking.

Reaction score
They are not getting one penny from me until I get what I paid for in September of 2019.
Even then, not really interested. Stan solo orders come through again and again. I have 2 Leia on preorder and just ordered a bunch more from him Friday.

Reaction score
Here’s a photo from the show, not that this helps, but this was the table in the red box. They had a couple of legit Yak Face figures in AFA cases and a carded Yak sample on the table with some "Ours is only $XX.XX" kind of card on it. C06CA3DB-AFCB-4EAA-82B8-595FBAB02091.jpeg

Last edited: