3.75" Current Lines Not in Scale with PotF2 and Episode I?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a classic Hasbro WWF collector and modern Mattel WWE elite collector, who has just recently gotten back into his first love (and first collection): Star Wars.

I recently opened about 50 Power of the Force 2 figures and have decided to pursue it to completion. The detail on these figures, the unique sculpts, etc., are just incredible!

On a whim, I also recently picked up a couple Force Link TFA/TLJ figures on deep discount (Rathtar, Skispeeder) and I noticed that--even though they're 3.75"--they're not in scale with PotF2/Episode 1/Saga. The feet are so small! They seem more diminutive in all regards.

I know PotF is renowned/derided for its muscle sculpts, but they seemed to change that with Episode 1 while continuing to keep the rest of the body scaled.

WHAT I'M ASKING: Is there a current line that is in scale with PotF2/Episode 1/etc. that isn't 3.75" Black series? Is Force Link just a budget line that isn't really comparable to PotF2? I've tried searching Rebel Scum/Yak Face/etc. for a definitive answer, but I need help!

Thanks in advance!

Dylan

Reaction score
Without comparing all of my figures, I'm going to say that many of the POTF2 figures were taller than the later figures. Farm boy Luke, Leia and some others would eventually be shorter and more accurate. Later Chewbacca figures would be taller than the original release and more accurate as well.

Reaction score
Can't really compare these lines in toto - the bulky POTF2 figures appear larger due to their "mass" even when they have the same height. I just happen to have some figures lying around; Bala-Tik from the Rathtar pack is actually taller than a Lando/Skiff Guard from POTF2. A Klaatu/Skiff Guard from way back is barely a millimeter larger (if so much) than the newest TVC incarnation from this year.

Point one, the POTF2 figures were up- and downscaled to make figures similarly sized. Leias are too big. Chewies are too small. Later lines scaled the characters appropriately, as Nibcrom already said, which makes for quite large Chewies and pretty petite Leias and distinctly smaller Lukes. You can compare the same characters from different lines, which will show the march towards a "realistic" 1:18 scale, but it is difficult to make a general statement about the lines as such. On the average, newer lines may indeed have lost a millimeter or two, since POTF2 figures were more likely to be upscaled to a fictional 180cm body height (10cm in 1:18).

Point two, some figures come out fairly small in the later series, and it's not entirely clear why. Bane Malar for example is a quite small figure. As is Tasu Leech. Since neither has been featured in POTF2, you'd need to check with the actual actor's heights to find out whether the characters are in scale, or whether the figure is mismatched.

Point three, yes, it is possible that a figure is sculpted too small or shrinks during production in an unexpected way. But we would only know if we actually calculate the proper scale/height. See point two.

Point four, the style is a major factor in appearance. POTF2 had less detail and looked pretty massive. Current lines have very fine detail and look realistic, which makes them "apparently" smaller. Lines like Rebels or Resistance employ a cartoon look where the arms are barely matchsticks and the characters appear even smaller. Holding a new Synara San figure (Resistance) in hand, it seems pretty small and fragile, but putting her in a Jabba's Palace crowd (TVC and comparable lines) you see that she absolutely matches the height!

TL;DR: if you set an 1980's Schwarzenegger in a crowd of 2010's tax accountants, he will always stand out, and it's not the vintage.

Reaction score
Without comparing all of my figures, I'm going to say that many of the POTF2 figures were taller than the later figures. Farm boy Luke, Leia and some others would eventually be shorter and more accurate. Later Chewbacca figures would be taller than the original release and more accurate as well.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Can't really compare these lines in toto - the bulky POTF2 figures appear larger due to their "mass" even when they have the same height. I just happen to have some figures lying around; Bala-Tik from the Rathtar pack is actually taller than a Lando/Skiff Guard from POTF2. A Klaatu/Skiff Guard from way back is barely a millimeter larger (if so much) than the newest TVC incarnation from this year.

Point one, the POTF2 figures were up- and downscaled to make figures similarly sized. Leias are too big. Chewies are too small. Later lines scaled the characters appropriately, as Nibcrom already said, which makes for quite large Chewies and pretty petite Leias and distinctly smaller Lukes. You can compare the same characters from different lines, which will show the march towards a "realistic" 1:18 scale, but it is difficult to make a general statement about the lines as such. On the average, newer lines may indeed have lost a millimeter or two, since POTF2 figures were more likely to be upscaled to a fictional 180cm body height (10cm in 1:18).

Point two, some figures come out fairly small in the later series, and it's not entirely clear why. Bane Malar for example is a quite small figure. As is Tasu Leech. Since neither has been featured in POTF2, you'd need to check with the actual actor's heights to find out whether the characters are in scale, or whether the figure is mismatched.

Point three, yes, it is possible that a figure is sculpted too small or shrinks during production in an unexpected way. But we would only know if we actually calculate the proper scale/height. See point two.

Point four, the style is a major factor in appearance. POTF2 had less detail and looked pretty massive. Current lines have very fine detail and look realistic, which makes them "apparently" smaller. Lines like Rebels or Resistance employ a cartoon look where the arms are barely matchsticks and the characters appear even smaller. Holding a new Synara San figure (Resistance) in hand, it seems pretty small and fragile, but putting her in a Jabba's Palace crowd (TVC and comparable lines) you see that she absolutely matches the height!

TL;DR: if you set an 1980's Schwarzenegger in a crowd of 2010's tax accountants, he will always stand out, and it's not the vintage.
Thank you so much! So if I'm collecting 3.75" figures--no matter which line--there are going to be aesthetic differences based on the style of the line (PotF2, Resistance), but they should be all relatively in scale and sit well in the same display.

Reaction score
Thank you so much! So if I'm collecting 3.75" figures--no matter which line--there are going to be aesthetic differences based on the style of the line (PotF2, Resistance), but they should be all relatively in scale and sit well in the same display.
Pretty much. Just be glad you're collecting Star Wars. With Transformers the subject of scale is a much larger headache. :)

Reaction score
In plain english

some old Power of the Forcce 2 figures are pretty much the same height as any of the newer Star Wars toy series from Black Series, Vintage Collection, Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Clone Wars.

the bulky first wave of Power of the Force 2 figures though theyll stick out like a sore thumb