25 minutes of TRU footage from May 1980 focusing on ESB!

Reaction score
Excellent slice of footage - especially the kid when asked if he collects, responds: "now its just getting old..." LOL

Reaction score
That was awesome. So much unopened stuff. Love the Jaws figure that lady was holding, that was the coolest set.

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! The way the open figures and ships are shown next to the boxed product is fantastic. I used to go to Toys r Us long ago, with my parents and this clip brings back fond memories-thanks again (the sound of that remote control R2D2 is insane)

Reaction score
I got to visit TRU about twice a year. I couldn’t believe the rows and rows of pegs and boxes! This is great footage from a great time.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Seen that interview with the salesman somewhere else before. Great video. Serves as a reminder of how many SW vehicles and playsets that were still available at retail in the run up to ESB. And just look at all those MISB SW Falcons. If ever they was a need for a time machine that time and place would be it. :)

Also reminds you of the seemingly endless amount of awesome merch that was available at any one time. I do wonder how many kids out there had parents with the means (and were willing) to buy them everything.

Reaction score
What we didn't know back then????

We thought an entire isle of toys just for star wars was normal stacked way above adult height level., (This wouldn't include the other 20 brands that were stocked plus the girls toys.) Now we are lucky if we get a 4' section that gets stock twice a year.

Reaction score
The fact that TRU literally doesn’t exist anymore gives me a clue to the state of the world. Sigh.

Reaction score
gotta love those Orange TRU stickers ..... lovely!!

The lady at 8:36 : "the play with the People alot" , "the people they use more"

**It's actually humans, droids , and Aliens ** !!!

People!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
it’s beautiful....it’s glorious. Sadly it shines a light on the sorry shape TRU was in regarding Star Wars product towards the end of the company’s life, at least in my area. Excellent vid, thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Great video! It is interesting that the salesman recognized the staying power of Star Wars that long ago.

It is amazing how much the retail landscape has changed. I definitely remember stores like the one shown in the video with tons of inventory. Compare that to now where toy stores are basically non-existent and stores like Walmart and Target typically have empty pegs/shelves (where Star Wars products should be) for weeks or sometimes months at a time.