2002 AOTC wave- misstep in SW figures?

Reaction score
I've been wondering this, as it seemed this was a first step that didn't go far.

We found ourselves with figures stuck in action poses/stances, magnets in various objects and character's hands, action features. I recall even having a couple that would need to be placed just correctly, or they'd topple over.

I was considering this a few weeks ago when I traded in some old figures to a collectibles store, and found almost all of my AOTC 2002 wave being handed over. Over the last year, I've swapped out for the newer figures in the Vintage line, which to me, is vastly superior.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was a misstep in the process of designing better figures... i mean i think Hasbro was trying to market it to the younger crowd and therefore decided to put some cool "Force Features" in the line to get the kids interested... at first glance (before the figures hit retail) i was excited about the possibility of the "Magnetic Force Powers" that they were going to give the Jedi figures and was looking forward to having the lightsaber fly into the hands of Obi Wan and Anakin.

true the function never really worked as well as it should be still is was a decent attempt. as far as the action poses yes i hated the fact that most of the figures were very static in the sense that they could only be displayed one way. i mean the sneak peak Clone Trooper is a cool idea but I want more freedom of movement in my figures.

i think to this day 2 of my all time favorite figures from the Saga AOTC line are Anakin Skywalker Secret battle damage and the second Jango Fett (headless Fett as I like to call him. i loved the fact that you could re-enact the deadly lightsaber duel of Anakin and Dooku and relive the sadness when Mace Windu cuts off Jango's head.

i will say by today's standards (the Vintage line) these figures are subpar at best but back in the day they were decent additions to the ever growing collection of SW figures.