1997 Greedo Mask repair and upgrade

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Not so much a custom but considering replacing the eyes with after market filtered lenses. Recently scored this mask on ebay in fair condition. Looks like a dog or an eager child has had a go at poor Greedo's hair! Mask not in hand as yet so if any of you own this mask I'd appreciate your help. Going to create new hair with latex tubing. Do any of you know the diameter of the hair and also the diameter of the eye cups. I have a half mannequin form and a newly purchased cosplay outfit to display with this in the Star Wars cave.

DagMarus

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mine started to melt before I tossed it. Looking forward to seeing this develop!

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Wow I discovered this beautifully designed articulated hand designed by Russian artist Sviatoslav Gerasimchuk and literally sent a light bulb off in my brain for the display, will be perfect for holding the blaster. It's called Biot hand and is superb. Has a range of motion far beyond anything else available. Plan to attach this to a simple armature affixed to the mannequin form that will be adjustable. Will add length to the fingers and add the suction cups then paint etc, very cool!

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Well the BIOS hand never happened due to the seller never making contact so went with this cool 3D printed Terminator hand instead. Should be able to set whatever pose desired. Slowly coming together now.

Current progress...

Last edited:

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Decided to have a go at the cheap rubber glove conversion. Basically purchased two pairs and butchered one to provide the longer fingers using duct tape inside and cyanoacrylate cement or super glue applied to the outer. Attached 20mm suction cups to the finger tips. Used plastic tubing to sure up the finger tips. Plan to give these several cotes of latex paint to match the mask and to hide the seams. Some material needs to be trimmed to achieve the taper.

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
That is pretty cool so far.
Cheers Utinniii, Still a lot to do but should be great fun on display. It's turning into a complete cosplay set, funny it's in my size. Friend gave me the body form and scored the mask off ebay...the rest is the standard slippery slope into nerd obsession.

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Hands with two cotes of diluted aliphatic glue brushed on which has a fine texture to it. Will do a few more cotes before applying the latex Rodian skin tone. Added some details, the knuckles are the original finger tips.

IMG_0718.JPG

Yoda36

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
What an amazing cool project! Love it.
Your control over the materials is excellent. These hands!
About the hair: why not use the plastic covers of electric wire, out of which you have pulled the wires themselves?
Than you have open tubes that are flexibel. Paint them and done.

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
What an amazing cool project! Love it.
Your control over the materials is excellent. These hands!
About the hair: why not use the plastic covers of electric wire, out of which you have pulled the wires themselves?
Than you have open tubes that are flexibel. Paint them and done.
Thanks Yoda36! Wow that's a cool idea for the hair, I didn't think of that one. Instead I purchased some 5mm latex tubing, you can see where they have perished over time but I'll only replace the worst of it. Thanks for your input and yes this has taken on a life of its own, never intended to get this crazy.

Yoda36

Lieutenant Commander
Reaction score
That turned out really very lifelike, the hair and hands!!
Love the way you shaded the skin.

Utinniii

Reaction score
That is very impressive! It doesn't look at all like it was repaired.

Trent

High Admiral
Reaction score
Fantastic repair of the mask! How much repainting of the mask did you do - a full repaint or did you end up blending? Just being lazy, scrolling up and down for comparison - I'd sure love to see a side-by-side.

I'm also really impressed with the hands! Did the cyanoacrylate react poorly with the rubber - like making it hard? The coloring is amazing - all you used was latex paint to achieve it?

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
have you tested if the eyes allign with your own eyes when putting on the mask?
Hi Yoda36,

No I haven't can you believe it, didn't even think to try it on yet. I guess that's a good point, people will say....well no wonder he can't hit anything. I guess I could build a liner that holds it in the correct height position. Thanks for that, something to add to the to do list.

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Fantastic repair of the mask! How much repainting of the mask did you do - a full repaint or did you end up blending? Just being lazy, scrolling up and down for comparison - I'd sure love to see a side-by-side.

I'm also really impressed with the hands! Did the cyanoacrylate react poorly with the rubber - like making it hard? The coloring is amazing - all you used was latex paint to achieve it?
Hi Trent,

Cheers for your kind words. Bit of trial and error with the hands. I don't have any prior experience working with latex and discovered in the end that simple acrylic art paints brushed on did a fantastic job of sticking to the slightly rough texture of the nitrile material. I mixed a base color from this as close to the mask as possible and gave the bare gloves three coats of this with a foam applicator allowing to dry for an hour in between. I did the shading the same as the masks factory paint with an airbrush. For this darker green I used super thinned Tamiya hobby colors. I used the same procedure with the hair. Has stuck surprisingly well to the tubing. I found super glue ideal for everything and no I did nothing to the mask other than gluing on the tubes, just color matching. I gave the gloves a highlight white in super thinned Tamiya. The super glue does dry a bit hard if too thick but literally seems to weld the nitrile together, haven't had a seam fail throughout. Actually amazed how strong it is. I then gave the gloves a good coat of Tamiya flat clear spray to blend it all together and protect. Maybe one day I'll try my hand at sculpture making and then latex casting. Thanks for your interest!

Last edited:

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Blaster coming along, getting some of the mods done. Moved the trigger back to allow an alien finger access. Scratch built a new sight assembly. The white metal one supplied felt a bit soft so I decided to hack up a coat hanger and using the end cones from the casting plus a tube from a cheap exacto type knife made a new one. Super glued the end caps to the tube and then the rod once centered. Also constructed a custom mount from angle aluminum. Hope to sling some primer on it in a day or two. Main reason for the sight remake being the casting would have needed elevation for the rod to sit in the rear sight slot. Small design glitch with the kit. For the money it's very cool, cost about $45US from the UK. Elvis Trooper and others supplied the upgrades. Most of the prep has been filling air bubbles, always the way with resin cast. Starting to sound like a Tamiya product placement but I'm using their light cure hobby putty, magic stuff. Cures in a few minutes under UV.

IMG_0784.jpgIMG_0786.jpgIMG_0794.jpg

Last edited:

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Painted with tamiya smoke last night, it's translucent so you can see the silver underneath. I'll polish the edges back to weather. First I need to post shade in the recesses with black. Got some weathering products I haven't used yet so the fun bit has started now for sure. Going to try using my new Molotow pen on the rocket tips. Doesn't need to look chrome so should work fine.

IMG_1011 (2).JPG

Lobotscomb

High Admiral
Reaction score
You are killing it 😊 loving it. The purple on the eyes you were thinking of would seal the deal.

Reaction score
This is some amazing work, superbly done and really a treat. It's not often we get to see something like a mask refurbishment and *****in' blaster. I love it, keep after it!

GreedoTwerp

Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
This is some amazing work, superbly done and really a treat. It's not often we get to see something like a mask refurbishment and *****in' blaster. I love it, keep after it!
Cheers yodashizzle, It all started with just the mask and now has taken on a life of its own. Has been the perfect lockdown project for me. All about my love for the aliens and creatures of Star Wars in that alternate galaxy far far away so to speak whilst staying at home. I'll have the full ****in' cosplay outfit at the end of it. Many would ask why, all I can say is why not :love: