1979 Kenner Megabug Gladiators Scorpion prototype / first shot

Reaction score
Greetings. I have recently acquired a 1979 Kenner Megabug Gladiators Scorpion which shows some very different qualities from the standard production version. In the pictures below I am referring to the toy on the left side - the orange plastic is a little more creamy in color and has no painted details, the claws and legs are a noticeably brighter shade of red, the driver is a darker shade of blue, the wheel rims and ball at the end of the tail are red, and most importantly - there are no copyright or COO markings on its belly or anywhere. I believe this toy to be a prototype/first shot and I'm hoping someone can help me confirm this. Megabug Gladiators are rare toys in general and there is not much information about them online. The one thing I did notice is that the Scorpion in the 1979 Kenner Catalog has a red ball at the end of its tail which has been painted blue, as one can see the red wearing through at the raised points. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
love that had it as a kid. Saw them listed on ebay but not sure on the prototype aspect . could just be a variation

-james

Reaction score
It's a childhood favorite of mine as well. The person I bought this Scorpion from also believes it's a pre-production piece, the only problem is that, to our knowledge, it wasn't originally acquired directly from a former Kenner employee, thus it lacks the provenance. I'm still hoping someone who worked on the line or a fellow collector who is actually knowledgable about the pre-production process can help authenticate or disprove my supposition. I'd like to add to my original description that the orange plastic is also translucent, and the elastic band which keeps the tail together is black, like the elastic you find keeping the arms on the large Alien and 12" Star Wars figures. If it's just a variant, it's one hell of a variant as every piece on it is different in some way from the standard production version. At this point it's still looking like a one of a kind item and I really dig it. I would love to hear from any former Kenner employees. Thanks.

I'm still looking for a pristine boxed Dragonfly if anyone has one for sale.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not a lot of info out there regarding these. I didn't even know they existed until this thread. A quick search found that apparently as well as Kenner, lili ledy also made these. Cool-tura retro. La mejor forma de (re)vivir los ochentas.: Los megabug gladiator

The site talks about the ledy release, but the pictures don't indicate ledy pieces instead showing Kenner boxes. So it is possible that other foreign licenses also made versions of these. With the vintage Star Wars line ledy used some very different paint and plastic compared to Kenner.

Also found a thread where Ryan shaw and josh A have/had some of these. They may be able to shed more light on them.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1066800/

Reaction score
I looked up the Lili Ledy version a little while ago. there's a catalog page and a tv commercial available on the internet. the toy looks the same, or at least it's painted and has a blue ball. search for -1980 LILI LEDY INSECTOS GLADIADORES MEGA ALACRAN MOSCA JUGUETES ... and you'll get some results. I contacted the afa, they said they could seal it up in a plastic box and tell me exactly what it is. I'm still figuring i'll wait a bit to see if anyone else turns up with another before I go that route.

Last edited:
Reaction score
found this loose lili ledy example with box online. valued at $2200.

Reaction score
another prototype scorpion - same as mine - has turned up. this time from a former kenner employee. so my question has been answered without resorting to the afa. auction ended earlier today.

Reaction score
That's great. Glad another finally turned up. Went really cheap for a pre production, but I don't really know what a regular production goes for.

Reaction score
That's great. Glad another finally turned up. Went really cheap for a pre production, but I don't really know what a regular production goes for.
someone did get a good deal. maybe the broken tail had a little something to do with it. a nice loose scorpion usually sells for around $25. the same person who just sold this prototype had a boxed scorpion a few months back which sold for around $300. i figured this would have topped that.

Reaction score
well it's an odd ball kind of thing. It was out there when Micronauts premiered i would imagine . I played with my with my micronauts and SW of course .I always wanted one " big wheel " sized..lol

-James