1977 Topps Star Wars uncut test proof sheet

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’m a long time lurker on the boards but never really commented much. I received this years ago from my friend who had a relative (cousin I think) who worked at Topps. They gave it to him along with a Batman one. It was just sitting in storage for years and he knew I liked Star Wars so he passed it along to me (he gave me the Batman one as well).
The front has a plastic laminate over where the cards are displayed. The back has a watermark that says “Kodak in bold letters with “Contract” in script underneath. To me that seems like the type of paper that is being used. I have not seen anything like this anywhere. Anyone have any information on this? Anyone have an idea what something like this may be worth? I know it’s more than tree fiddy 😂
Thank you for your time!36677655-E3A5-4082-84F6-68EAE823623D.jpeg

Attachments

Reaction score
Quick update: I was contacted by Mattias Rendahl author of “A NEW PROOF - Kenner Star Wars Packaging Design 1977-1979” and “The Cromalin Strikes Back”. He stated to me that “it def is a ”Cromalin”. Or a real early proof sheet, used as I described it in my first post. Cromalin was the best in the hobby and a trademark product from DuPont. But other companies also did ”Cromalins”, just not as good as DuPonts Cromalins.” He also stated to me “Old school high quality proofing. Way more rare and special than a press proof. The Cromalin is made from the original layout board/mechanical for proofing. Then it was usel to create the separate color filma and then the printing plates. Very cool piece. I dont know much about Topps, but in the toy world a Cromalin would in most cases cost 2-5 times as much as a press proof/proof sheet. An early stage in the process.” So the mystery is solved! Thanks for looking!