1975 Kitbashed Models - Public for the 1st time

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Colin Cantwell. I conceptualized and modeled the ships for the first Star Wars film. At the behest of fans, I am letting these four decade old photos see the light of day. Most were taken in my backyard in 1975 after kitbashing the pre-production models for the the X-Wing, TIE, Death Star, and others.
Kitbashing is a method of model building that myself and a few others pioneered in the early 70's. Essentially, you take pieces from cannibalized model kits (cars, planes, trains, etc...) as well as shapes from around the office and house. Look closely and you will see pill bottle engines and Easter egg fuel tanks.
Most of these ships would be used with only minor modification. The exception is the Falcon, which was scrapped at the last moment due to its similarity to the recently released "Eagle" from Space 1999. My Sand Crawler design would also be replaced by Ralph's. All of these designs are original, although I did work closely with Ralph in the early days of the project (what a genius!).

I hope you enjoy them. If you would like to learn more, follow me on social media or take a look at my Reddit "AMA's". You can also see higher resolution photos and descriptions on my website www.cantwellcollection.com/models.html

Reaction score
Welcome, Mr. Cantwell! Thank you for sharing these amazing photos. It never gets old seeing any pre production designs or photos from our beloved movies!

Reaction score
Welcome, Mr. Cantwell! Thank you for sharing these amazing photos. It never gets old seeing any pre production designs or photos from our beloved movies!
Thank you for the kind words. I think so too. What a fun project

Reaction score
Simply amazing. A great many thanks for sharing.:) i always wondered where these ended up after all these years. Do you still have them?

Reaction score
Eye opening to see the early concepts of the Falcon and I can only assume that the early design of it was still transferred over directly to the Corellian Corvette. Talk about creative recycling! I never saw it before, but this early kitbash version of the Star Destroyer holds an incredible battle ship likeness. Love every bit of it. Great work throughout your career and certainly something to be very proud of.

Reaction score
Outstanding work and stoked that someone that shaped my life long obsession is here on these boards. You sir are most welcome here.

Reaction score
Wow what an incredible thing to see. This is absolutely fantastic to see. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures!!

Reaction score
It was great that the Hot Wheels line immortalized five of these concepts into their diecast line last year - I bought a full set. Did Mattel approach you with this idea, and are anymore planned?

Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this??? Mr.Cantwell, what an amazing set of pictures! Thanks for making these ships truly great! Most recognizable "space ships" of all time you made there!If these are still in existence that would be even more amazing! K

Last edited: