12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Stormtrooper SDCC Exclusive Action Figure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Re: Vintage 12 inch ESB Stormtrooper: SDCC Exclusi

the Boba should still be around on friday of CV right?

Reaction score

Glitch said:
BlueSnaggletooth said:
Blue Snags SDCC Report...

-Snags

PS. During our conversation, we opened up a big Stormtrooper and were posing him on the table. At least 10 people came up and asked "What's that? Are those for sale?" and marched right up and bought them. It appears this line has the makings of a hit. Before we left for San Diego, my buddy, who is a casual SW collector, told me he would be passing on the line. Once he saw the Stormie in person he changed his mind and grabbed one. I ended up grabbing two for myself.
Hey Snags.

Out of curiosity, what is the construction like on these? Do they have PVC arms and legs with a polystyrene body like the real vintage figures or is it something else? I'm just curious as to how the feel, weight, etc....

The Stormie is similar in weight and feel to the original vintage 12" Stormie. Definitely doesn't have a "heavy" feel to it. I will drop one on the scale later tonight and will let you know how heavy it actually is.

-Snags

Reaction score

That's a little disappointing to hear, but I still can't wait to get them. I was hoping their weight and construction would be exactly like scaled up vintage Kenner figures.

Oh well.

Reaction score

Glitch said:
That's a little disappointing to hear, but I still can't wait to get them. I was hoping their weight and construction would be exactly like scaled up vintage Kenner figures.

Oh well.

Don't get me wrong guys I like these from a retro stand point, but the figures are made very cheaply. Very light weight with bad paint apps, just like the old school vintage.
They look really cool on card. I was a bit disappointed when I had the Stormtrooper in hand at the SDCC. There is a COOL factor here, but like I said they feel very cheap. Was it worth $85? Hell no. Being a exclusive I will give GG a break here and suck up the cost. Plus I think GG has something here. Hope it works out for them, but the price point needs to be more like $30-40 range.

Reaction score

Bummer that the blaster does not fit "snuggly" in the Stormtroopers hand. I opened mine and anywhere between aiming horizontally or straight down...the blaster slips out of his hand.

Still very cool! And I'll for sure be getting the rest of 'em.

Reaction score

Darth_Finger said:
I really want to collect this line, must stop myslef...
Give in! I did...

Reaction score

What do you think Snags? Is this line worth collecting? Been way to many high end lines the past 5 years,

Reaction score

Darth_Finger said:
What do you think Snags? Is this line worth collecting? Been way to many high end lines the past 5 years,
Dude you really going to ask Snags that? The line is his baby!

Reaction score

Turbowars said:
Darth_Finger said:
Dude you really going to ask Snags that? The line is his baby!
Well, I am a bit biased when it comes to this line...

-Snags

Reaction score

There seems to be a lot of interest in this line. I'm starting to lose hope that the Stormtrooper & Fett figures will be available on the GG website for the non-guild/non-attendee people. Or, if they do happen to have any left, it will be something like 4 or 5 pieces and they'll sell out before I'm even aware they were available. Ahhh, the stresses of being a collector!

Reaction score

Looks like the SDCC Stormtrooper went from Guarantee Pre-Order to Conditional Pre-Order....

I'm glad I got my Guarantee Pre-Order in yesterday!

Reaction score

Weasel27 said:
There seems to be a lot of interest in this line. I'm starting to lose hope that the Stormtrooper & Fett figures will be available on the GG website for the non-guild/non-attendee people. Or, if they do happen to have any left, it will be something like 4 or 5 pieces and they'll sell out before I'm even aware they were available. Ahhh, the stresses of being a collector!
if you compare ebay prices of the stormie and you can expect the same if not more for fett, its cheaper to buy the pgm then pay ebay scalper prices plus you'll get discount on non exclusives, and a free bust to boot

Reaction score

come on DF jump... these are going to be sweet...

Darth_Finger said:
I really want to collect this line, must stop myslef...

Reaction score

Were is this avaliable?I can't find it on Gentile Giants website.Was it only sold at SDCC?

Reaction score

Hi,

You need to click on collector's club and JOIN THE PREMIER GUILD at GentleGiantLtd.com . Yes,the Stormtroopers were sold at SDCC.

I just checked it and it now says Wait List Pre-Order for the Stormtrooper.

Reaction score

BlueSnaggletooth said:
Just checked GG's site. The Stormie is once again SOLD OUT. Maybe for good this time.

-Snags
I saw that! It took 2 days from guarantee pre-order to sold out!

Reaction score

BlueSnaggletooth said:
Just checked GG's site. The Stormie is once again SOLD OUT. Maybe for good this time.

-Snags
bringing tears to the eyes of the snaggletooth.

glad to see its doing well.

Reaction score

Thanks for posting the pics of your Jumbo Stormy, Snags!

It looks great, but I'm a little bummed out by how thin and translucent the plastic is. The fact that light is showing through it so easily in some of those pics spoils the illusion of a scaled up 3 3/4" pretty quickly. I hope the white plastic on the Luke, Leia, and even R2, don't have the same problem to this degree.

That said, I'm still TOTALLY in.

I waited on the Stormy because I would prefer him on the Star Wars card rather than the ESB.

Thanks again!

Reaction score

I have it on Guarantee Pre-Order from GG but I'm confused if you can open and re-close the card without damage?

Reaction score

I have it on Guarantee Pre-Order from GG but I'm confused if you can open and re-close the card without damage?

Reaction score
Re: 12\" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Stormtrooper SDCC Exclusive Action Figure

Got the Gentle Giant Stormtrooper and it's a disappointment. It does not have the same construction as the Kenner toy (styrene body halves and solid vinyl limbs), the entire thing is rigid but hollow vinyl with a matte finish that doesn't match the shine of the original figure. You can hold it up to the light and see through it. It's like a weird bootleg.

The detail on the figure is soft, apparently they didn't do any cleanup on the design after they scanned it and scaled it up. The figure doesn't hold the rifle well, either. You just put it in the hand and it just sort of flops there.

And best of all, mine broke twenty minutes out of the box. It was just standing on my desk and fell over while I reached for something. The left hand popped out of the socket. Apparently it was glued in there.

I'm not getting any more of these. Whoever wants mine can have it for $100 shipped (via USPS plus Delivery Confirmation within the US). I'll even throw in a tube of super glue to fix the hand. Send me a PM.

Reaction score

I still want mine. I ordered the Stormtrooper on 7/10/10 and it shows a guaranteed preorder on the GG website. So...when are these due to ship? I also ordered the Boba Fett.

Anyone?

Reaction score

RogerH said:
Got the Gentle Giant Stormtrooper and it's a disappointment. It does not have the same construction as the Kenner toy (styrene body halves and solid vinyl limbs), the entire thing is rigid but hollow vinyl with a matte finish that doesn't match the shine of the original figure. You can hold it up to the light and see through it. It's like a weird bootleg.

The detail on the figure is soft, apparently they didn't do any cleanup on the design after they scanned it and scaled it up. The figure doesn't hold the rifle well, either. You just put it in the hand and it just sort of flops there.

And best of all, mine broke twenty minutes out of the box. It was just standing on my desk and fell over while I reached for something. The left hand popped out of the socket. Apparently it was glued in there.

I'm not getting any more of these. Whoever wants mine can have it for $100 shipped (via USPS plus Delivery Confirmation within the US). I'll even throw in a tube of super glue to fix the hand. Send me a PM.
I hear you Roger, I do think the idea is cool, but I agree they look and feel very cheap. For $85 and maybe less like $65 for the rest of the line it just doesn't make sense to collect these. We will see.

Reaction score

RogerH said:

Vinyl? Damn it...I at LEAST thought they were polystyrene. That's horrible, so horrible, in fact, it's making me reconsider my interest in the line. Not only is vinyl cheap, flexible, thin and have a matte finish, but it often discolors with age - especially white which has a tendency to yellow. $85 plus $20 shipping is a TOTAL rip off for a simple vinyl casting with a simple paint job.

Come on Gentle Giant, step up your game on these. This line has HUGE potential, so don't blow it right out of the gate. Take a deep breath and do this right.

Reaction score

Glitch said:
Not only is vinyl cheap, flexible, thin and have a matte finish, but it often discolors with age - especially white which has a tendency to yellow.
They're just being authentic, then, with the Stormtrooper.

Reaction score

Has there been any confirmation that these will stay at the 85$ price point or will the non exclusives be cheaper?

Reaction score

ig88srevenge said:
Has there been any confirmation that these will stay at the 85$ price point or will the non exclusives be cheaper?
They will be lower. About $65.

Reaction score

sdcc has been over for 2 weeks has anyone recieved their preorder stormie yet?

Reaction score

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
sdcc has been over for 2 weeks has anyone recieved their preorder stormie yet?

[/QUOTE]

I am still waiting on mine...GG is giving me enough time to think about this line and I may back out.

Reaction score

Since Gentle Giant is also selling the Stormtrooper at CV, more than likely they won't be shipping until after that convention.

Reaction score

Glitch said:
Since Gentle Giant is also selling the Stormtrooper at CV, more than likely they won't be shipping until after that convention.

They're selling the Stormtrooper at CV? I haven't heard that...

Status
Not open for further replies.