12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Stormtrooper SDCC Exclusive Action Figure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
12\" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Stormtrooper SDCC Exclusive Action Figure

The description of the SDCC GG 12inch Vintage Stormtrooper from Facebook:

Just like they were when you were a kid, only BIGGER! Gentle Giant is proud to debut their new line of vintage Star Wars Action figure reproductions with the release of this classic Empire Strikes Back Stormtrooper.

Digitally scanned from mint 3 ¾” Kenner originals and reproduced to a substantial 12” tall. Nothing has been overlooked. Injection molded and made of durable plastics, this jumbo figure includes a faithfully reproduced blaster and is fully articulated! That’s not all, this classic Kenner creation comes packaged on a 1980, Empire Strikes Back inspired blister card with a plastic outer clam shell to help protect and display this limited edition convention exclusive!

....Really??? Carding a 12inch figure??? If they did that in proportion wouldn't the blister card the size of a standard poster?? Imagine the size of the clamshell. If that is seriously what they are doing, I am going to have to get one. They will need a semi to hold the 1500 they are bringing to the con. HAHAHA! That cant be right....

Reaction score
Re: Vintage 12 inch ESB Stormtrooper: SDCC Exclusive

Where is that Captain Picard picture when you need it?

Reaction score

Did some company card a 12-inch Picard? Oh dear...I bet that went over like..like a Kustom!

Reaction score

Hey if they card it and stick it in an accurate and proportional card (poster-size)...with a clam shell. Exponentially upscale replica of the carded original...I am all over it!

Anything short of that...PASS. I don't see it happening.

Reaction score

LMAO. Boy the think tank over there is really on top of it.

Major Pass.

Reaction score

I think it's a very cool idea. I consider myself a pretty hardcore Vintage/GG collector but, i'm not sure if i'm actually going to buy this.

Reaction score

YES! A 12" Replica figure of a figure that was originally released for A NEW HOPE during EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 30TH Anniversary!

No Boba Fett, No Vader, No Lando, No Han in carbonite, NOTHING so far from the actual movie including SIDESHOW! I hope we get some good things for Celebration!

Reaction score

This whole idea is just another example of a company trying to do way too much. Making 12" plastic (not even resin) figures, rings, zombie troopers and Magma Troopers! Just stick to what you are known for and what you are best at: screwing up human-likenesses, lack of concern for your target customers and delayed products. Oops, did I just say that?! I meant OT and PT mini busts, statues and maquettes. Please, no more EU either, just so much more needs to be done from the six movies.

Reaction score

Few of these on ebay for BIN around $65 - granted these are from '78, but look the same.

Reaction score

I like it. I'm a sucker for vintage-esque stuff.

Rod

Reaction score

WOW! Seriously?

I had top double check that it wasn't April 1st.....

Well, I guess I'm glad for those of you that like it and got the money to spend on it....to each his own.

I personaly am surprised that after crap like the Kustomz line and theyr attempt at the Classic bust line, that they still try silly stuff like this....trying to be bigger and bigger instead on focusing on what they got that works....they are trying to branch out a bit too much....I think it's backfiring on them.

Reaction score
Re: Vintage 12 inch ESB Stormtrooper: SDCC Exclusi

Well Im in the minority here, but I think its kind of cool, not $85 cool, but I might consider buying this...

Reaction score

Rod said:
WOW! Seriously?

Well, I guess I'm glad for those of you that like it and got the money to spend on it....to each his own.

I personaly am surprised that after crap like the Kustomz line and theyr attempt at the Classic bust line, that they still try silly stuff like this....trying to be bigger and bigger instead on focusing on what they got that works....they are trying to branch out a bit too much....I think it's backfiring on them.
It could catch on with vintage collectors. There is a large community who collects that stuff. I see this line having potential.

-Snags

Reaction score

I would love to put a carded version on my wall.

Rod

Reaction score

BlueSnaggletooth said:
It could catch on with vintage collectors. There is a large community who collects that stuff. I see this line having potential.

-Snags
I do understand...there are others out there with different interests and there is a huge VINTAGE community so you might be right...I'm just floored about the direction they take sometimes....they act like a struggling company that is trying different things to stay afloat when that is not where they are at....now I read at GGC that the scaled helmet line is not going to pan out?

Heck!....it never even got off the ground? How they heck could they know if it pan out or not?

Reaction score

Rod said:
BlueSnaggletooth said:

-Snags
I do understand...there are others out there with different interests and there is a huge VINTAGE community so you might be right...I'm just floored about the direction they take sometimes....they act like a struggling company that is trying different things to stay afloat when that is not where they are at....now I read at GGC that the scaled helmet line is not going to pan out?

Heck!....it never even got off the ground? How they heck could they know if it pan out or not?
GG says they aren't struggling so they must not be.

I think this thing is cool. I might buy one at the show.

Reaction score

Rod said:
BlueSnaggletooth said:

-Snags

I'm glad they're ditching the helmet line. It didn't keep Master Replicas from going out of business and it wasn't going to do anything for GG either.

It's frightening, but GG and I are on the same page right now.

-Snags

Reaction score

Well, I didn't see this one coming. The carback sells it for me. Although, I think I'll hold out for another potential character.

Reaction score

As I just rambled on in the SDCC thread.....

GG - let's debut a new line, yet we have 18 plus items sitting in DELAYLAND....c'mon now.

Give us some shipping updates already! Two of six came out in June? Weren't we supposed to be "caught up" by end of Spring?

Reaction score

RogueTrader said:

Well, I didn't see this one coming. The carback sells it for me. Although, I think I'll hold out for another potential character.
Cardback?

Reaction score

SWEET!...EASY pass for me.

DarthBeek said:
... Weren't we supposed to be "caught up" by end of Spring?
What year?

Reaction score

Turbowars said:
RogueTrader said:

Cardback?
You know what I meant, dammit!

Reaction score

Rod said:
WOW! Seriously?

This was their April Fools Day joke. GG just celebrates that late like they do everything else late.

Reaction score

Speechless

Reaction score

In in... I think this could be really cool....

Reaction score

Maybe I would get this if I could get it at con, but since it isn't going to be ready, I won't pay to have this shipped. Pass.

Reaction score

BlueSnaggletooth said:
Just pre-ordered! Will grab another at the con...want two of these guys.

-Snags
Do we have any verification that they will sell any of the star wars stuff on site at sdcc?

Reaction score

I actually really want this....but I am not a member nor am I attending SDCC.

Reaction score

FettsVette said:
Rod said:
WOW! Seriously?

This was their April Fools Day joke. GG just celebrates that late like they do everything else late.
Best comment today!

Reaction score

Gentle Giant posted the following comment on their Facebook page in regard to this piece:

Gentle Giant, Ltd.
Yes. The packaging is huge and it looks awesome (I'm saying that as a collector myself, not as an employee). I'll see if the product team is willing to release carded images yet or not. They may want to leave some surprise for SDCC.

Reaction score

Wow, the shipping package for this must be huge.

Reaction score

Wow, this is a really cool idea! And that's speaking as someone who owns almost no Gentle Giant products, but is a big collector of all the action figure lines in 4" and 12". What is the price they're charging on their site? The link doesn't work since I'm not a member. I hope they have some left after the con! Too bad it's not Boba Fett though since that's one of the awesomest vintage figures and would be a real trip to see in 12-inch. This is a great way to make you feel like a kid again since the figure is now scaled for a 2-foot tall human. Well that was probably too young to play with Star Wars figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.