12" Jumbo Vintage Kenner Boba Fett CV Exclusive Action Figure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Re: Vintage 12 inch ESB Boba Fett: CV Exclusive

I have to agree, I was talking to another collector about this and he said the same thing. There's a nostalgia factor involved when collecting vintage style / vintage packaged star wars toys. It pulls at your heart-strings and all logic seems to escape from your brain as all you can think is, i have to have that! That's definitely what these have done for me. True, these figures weren't ever released in 12 inch back in '78 but there is something very unique about them. Maybe it's just that feeling you get of having a bigger version of the toys you worshipped as a kid! P.S. The packaging is half of the appeal. I love the vintage style backs of the cards with each figure displayed seperately like the original 20 cardbacks is a nice touch i think... GG, evil geniuses! Joking.

Reaction score

It definitely is a great point Michael makes & if this line turns out to be extemely popular I find it hard to believe that Hasbro is going to sit on the sidelines & watch GG making a huge profit on a mold they own.

Reaction score

The point on the price has already been made. I don't know anybody who has been HAPPY about the price. It is the only thing I can't stand about these. The price of the general release figures is going to be a big factor in how many I will be able to pull the trigger on, and that sucks, because I want them ALL. $30 or less would be perfect, but I will be very surprised if they come down that much.

Sure there is a nostalgia factor in them, but if that was all there was to it, I would pass on them, since I have, or can get the original 3 3/4" figures, and that is where the true nostalgia lies. It is really VERY simple why I love these so much. They look amazingly cool! I love the idea of having these giant Kenner figures on my shelves. The only Star Wars collectibles I really care about, are of the vintage variety. I don't really collect any modern Star Wars toys. These are a giant (pun intended) nod to the Kenner line, and I find them incredibly rad. I think they are the coolest Star Wars collectibles since the original figures.

As for the figures being hollow. Yes, they are blow molded vinyl. BUT, they are still pretty hefty and it is a thick vinyl, so it isn't like they are squishy or feel cheap.

Reaction score

BlueSnag said:
It definitely is a great point Michael makes & if this line turns out to be extemely popular I find it hard to believe that Hasbro is going to sit on the sidelines & watch GG making a huge profit on a mold they own.
never thought about that. I suppose GG has to pay monies to Hasbro for the right to use their designs? That could be a big part of the price...however, probably not the extra $55 per figure (if we're talking a reasonable price point of $30). But it would be interesting to know the licensing they have to pay.

Then again it could add a lot to each figure if the numbers they are making are low, so if this Fett is only 1,500 figures I could see the fee per figure being significant.

Reaction score

TCM_Hitchhiker said:
Sure there is a nostalgia factor in them, but if that was all there was to it, I would pass on them, since I have, or can get the original 3 3/4" figures, and that is where the true nostalgia lies. It is really VERY simple why I love these so much. They look amazingly cool! I love the idea of having these giant Kenner figures on my shelves. The only Star Wars collectibles I really care about, are of the vintage variety. I don't really collect any modern Star Wars toys. These are a giant (pun intended) nod to the Kenner line, and I find them incredibly rad. I think they are the coolest Star Wars collectibles since the original figures.
You see, it is the nostalgia factor that has us in it's powerful tractor beam! I know the new figures are more accurate and poseable wIth better accessories etc... but these original figures will always be my faves too.

I'm glad they're a "good" hollow. The original 12 inch line were also hollow as are most 12 inch figures so it does make sense i guess. I still remember when my original 12 inch chewbacca's arms broke and I realized they were just connected by an elastic type band!

Reaction score

I'm guessing standard releases will be in the $65 range.

Reaction score

I heard through the "grapevine" that the price point will be about the same for the regular releases... LET'S HOPE MY SOURCE IS WRONG. $60 would be perfect and appropriate! The line won't survive at $85 plus shipping = $100 each.

Reaction score

While at work I was thinking which is never a good sign! At CV I loved how GG has postcards with the Stormtrooper on it along with the orginal kenner figures along with it!

I wish GG would of sent Boba Fett versions of that artwork along with Jumbo Boba Fett! I think it would of been a cool extra to go along not to mention it would match nicely with the stormtrooper art!

Reaction score

which one will be released next and when?

Reaction score

reelism said:
This has yet to be announced. There are rumors that it will be Solo and Chewbacca.

Reaction score

If the MSRP is $85, then you can still order thru ADs for 20-25% off.

I will be pre-ordering and picking them up from my local comic store for about $68 each.

-Snags

Reaction score

TCM_Hitchhiker said:

"He's no good to me shrunk."
How did you mess with the background focus there? Very curious.

Anyhow mine came today, well like two days ago but I had some UPS issues. It was well packed with a ton of paper of the whole package is in great shape, very relieved.

My GF shook her head at me when she saw what they were going for on eBay but I told her "sorry, its like my favorite figure ever, its going in the collection", lol.

I'll never part with this.
Bring on Jedi Luke!

Reaction score

Wow!
I'm loving this line!!!!

Like many others here, this taps right into my nostalgia of SW - and it's something I've waiting years to see happen, and am so glad to see it happen in this way!!!

Well done to Gentle Giant for making these 12 inch figs - now all I gotta do is acquire one...

Dax

Reaction score

GrandAdmiralJSK said:
How did you mess with the background focus there? Very curious.
It's not my photo but that's a great example of the use of "Depth of Field" for a camera. A real quick photography lesson here: The lens of a camera is able to focus along a specific field based on a number of variables. Basically though if you are too close to a camera or too far away you may be outside this field and therefore appear blurry in the image (I think we've all done that unintentionally at some stage or another). Most basic cameras such as on a mobile phone may have a fixed lense and a deep field of focus and it would be difficult to achieve the results in the Fett photo with one.

A more advanced camera that has an adjustable focus and also an adjustable aperture (commonly measured as an 'F' stop on a camera) can vary the field of focus. A smaller 'F' stop actually refers to a larger aperture, meaning more light comes into the camera, and also a larger depth of field, i.e. more items will be in focus in the photo. A larger 'F' stop will mean a small aperture, less light into the camera and a very narrow depth of field. This is most likely how the Fett photo was taken.

I expect Google or Wikipaedia would have a clearer explanation and probably some diagrams that would help this make sense. If you like those results though, pick up a reasonable second hand camera with a nice lens and start experimenting. You'll learn a lot and have heaps of fun too!

Reaction score

nice cant wait... 2 down 11 to go

come on ole'CC dont let me down...

TCM_Hitchhiker said:
reelism said:
This has yet to be announced. There are rumors that it will be Solo and Chewbacca.

Reaction score

I think I'm getting the bug. These look too good to miss!

Reaction score

I got the Fett at CV and would love to collect all the others, hopefully like others have said, they reduce the price for everyone to get these awesome figures.

Reaction score

I just wish companies would stop with the OHHH! AHHHH! LIMITED! LIMITED! thing that seems to drive every SW product these days.

Reaction score

To a certain degree I am glad I waited and got mine online.If I picked this up at C5 it was just another item I would had to keep track of.

Reaction score

Still waiting on my Stormtrooper, but received another Fett yesterday. I had cancelled my pre-order at CV because I bought 2 there. I have 3 now lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.