12" Jumbo Stormtrooper white vinyl turning pink

Reaction score
Hi - just thought I'd post this here (couldn't find a thread already on this topic, happy to be corrected on that).

I store my Villains 3-Pack Jumbo Vader, Stormtrooper and Death Squad Commander up high on a shelf. Was up on a ladder cleaning today and noticed my Stormtrooper was looking a little pink. Took him down and his back was REALLY affected - blotches everywhere. Strangely, that was the part not facing outwards, not that there's a lot of light in this room, it's dark 90% of the time. Did some research, apparently vinyl turns pink as a result of a bacteria (Streptoverticillium reticulum) when the plastic is not treated correctly. Here's an article on it: https://www.proboat.com/2017/11/mystery-solved-case-pink-stain-vinyl/

Anyway, long story short, the pink on my Stormtrooper wasn't too dark, suggesting the bacteria hadn't got a grip on him yet, so I got some Cedal Anti-Dandruff shampoo which has 2% Pyrithione Zinc (ZPT) as its active ingredient.

It comes out of the bottle pale green. I coated my Stormtrooper in the stuff and left him for 3 hours. It dried to a chalky finish. I hit him with the hairdryer to open up the vinyl a bit and left it for another hour. When I washed off the shampoo, he had returned to a nice white in most places. I've given him a second treatment just to be certain.

So, check your Stormtroopers for pink disease, especially the Villain 3 pack ones, and treat with shampoo asap.