12 INCH STORMTROOPER QUESTION

Reaction score
Hello!

I have what I think is a MIB Stormtrooper and I have posted him up for sale, but I have a quick question. A fellow scummer PMed me about glue around the hands, and I told him there does appear when looking through the plastic a visble white/clear glue around the hands. Now the figure appears 100% MIB, very clean and white, no scrapes or marks on the hands, so this puzzles me. Can this be the way they were made from the factory? Does glue seep out to make it visible. Or did someone simply do a poor job of gluing the hands on! Please any help is needed, I have several interested parties, but I am worried about this glue issue! THANKS< J.B.

Reaction score
Its not glue its vinyl migration. Its is the plastizers from the soft hands melting the ABS styrene sockets. Its a common problem on many dolls esp. IG 88 and his belt, the wrists on Boba Fett, the belt on Jawa and the wrists on Stormtrooper. I dust the wrists on mine with a little talc and it seems to act as a barrier and slows down the degradation.

Reaction score
spider93 said:
Hello!

I have what I think is a MIB Stormtrooper and I have posted him up for sale, but I have a quick question. A fellow scummer PMed me about glue around the hands, and I told him there does appear when looking through the plastic a visble white/clear glue around the hands. Now the figure appears 100% MIB, very clean and white, no scrapes or marks on the hands, so this puzzles me. Can this be the way they were made from the factory? Does glue seep out to make it visible. Or did someone simply do a poor job of gluing the hands on! Please any help is needed, I have several interested parties, but I am worried about this glue issue! THANKS< J.B.
It's plastic degradation. The 2 types of plastic interact and the white plastic fares poorly. It appears to melt. Almost every 12" Stormtrooper I've seen has this, and if it doesn't now, it will eventually. You may also notice divots in the legs where the fingertips touch. The hands are not glued in place, they are molded to have a ball on the end of the wrists that is held in place by the arm being clamped together. Unfortuantely it is just an aspect of the aging process. Eventually the hands will fall off completely and rest in the bottom of the box. I have a feeling that sooner rather than later all MISB examples will have no hands attached. Boba Fetts also have similar issues.

Reaction score
I have a 12" MISB Stormie Ive had for years. One day i noticed the hands were laying in the bottom of the box.

Reaction score
I second that. I've bought a MISB Stormie a few weeks ago and his left hand has become loose and falls off.
But he's still MISB. I don't know, what I sould do: Keep it MISB, or open it and place the hand in its original position...

Yak

Reaction score
Not seen this thread in a while....

...yup, you want a well worn and played with 12" Stormy like mine
his hands still turn and still seem pretty sturdy.

Reaction score
here is my loose figures I recd. these from some RS members here not to long ago.

Pretty clean and very little yellowing around the joints and hands move nicley