12" Figure Body Types

Reaction score
12\" Figure Body Types

I've seen the phrase "body type" mentioned here and elswhere on RS. I know that certain companies use certain body types, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on this subject.

What body type is the best?
What body type does SSC use?
What body type does HT use?
Is there actually a difference overall?
Does one have more articulation than another?
How can you repair a SSC body type (the arms on a couple of my SSC SW figure seem loose)?

Thank you for you help. I'm still new to the 12" figure arena and have just started picking up the SSC SW stuff about three months ago and have just six figures. Hoping to learn more so maybe I can improve some of mine or make custom figures. Plus, I just pre-ordered Bank Robber Joker and I wonder how he'll measure up to the SSC stuff.

Reaction score
Re: 12\" Figure Body Types

Well, my knowledge is pretty much only limited to SSC and Hot Toys (although I know some other bodies, I only know them from pictures).

SSC still mostly uses their 'Buck' body, although they developed a new body together with Hot Toys, the 'Prometheus'. Comparison pics can be seen here: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?p=4373
Overall I really don't like the body, it doesn't look very natural when posed (although it is possible, when you take your time), and the articulation isn't that good.

Hot Toys' body is called the 'TrueType', which has better articulation, and can be posed a lot more natural. They can be bought separately in different skin tones. Pics are here: http://www.hottoys.com.hk/product.php?cat=21
Although the body is great, the shoulders are a bit too broad. For superheroes it works great, but depending on the character it may look off. Of course the look also depends on the clothes and/or armor the fig is wearing.

I've got some comparison pics I made when I modded my SSC Darth Maul (I put him on a truetype), I'll upload and post them when I find the right ones.

edit: Alright, I uploaded some photos, here they are.
Note that the SSC body is the small version, that's why he seems so short next to the TrueType. Also, I gave the modded Maul new boots to make use of the (much) better ankle articulation.

First some nude comparisons:
comp2.jpg
comp1.jpg

Same pose, different body (left original, right modded):
sscmaul2.jpg
htmaul2.jpg

sscmaul1.jpg
htmaul1.jpg

Pose-off:
sscmaul3.jpg
htmaul3.jpg

And a last one, not made by me, showing a lot of different 1/6 scale bodies:
12_inch_bodies_comparison.jpg

Hope you don't mind me posting all these pics, but I think it illustrates the difference in the bodies quite well.

Reaction score

Thank you for the post about the types - that is very useful. It looks like the Tru-type has ball joints in the wirsts and the shoulders have another joint that allows for better two-handed poses.

The Darth Maul also looks great. I can see there would be alot more possibilities than with my normal SSC one.

Reaction score

Well, although the wrist joints are better on the HT body, as they are more simplistic, you can pretty much achieve the same positions with the SSC body, as the "mid-underarm" (for lack of a better word) joint complements the wrist joint.
However, as you noted, the shoulder joint definitely is better. The forward/backward movement has a wider range and is better, as it's a joint that allows normal movement, unlike the "2-point clicky type" the 'Buck' body has. The up/down movement, which the Buck body doesn't have at all, adds a lot of poseability as well.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the ankle-movement is also a lot better, as it has a ball joint which allows a 360° movement. The Buck body only has a forward/back movement.

Reaction score

I love the HT tru type body amazing body i want to upgrade my hasbro Boba, snow trooper, biker scout to this body and many others or swap them with the Rah 301 body. The Rah 301 is a great body also. These 2 are excellent if i could i would swap all my SS bodies with either of those 2. Rah 301 has a normal naked body, and a Massive body to choose from!.

HT-White.jpg

Check out Michael's real nice review HT TT body some nice pose pic's!!!.
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_090508b.htm

Compared to SS buck body HT TT, and the Rah 301 blow it out of the water no contest as far as poses go and articulation!.

Maul_187 nice info!!! and this looks very promising>
021408_newbody01.jpg

Reaction score

When speaking of swapping body types, are the head pieces interchangeable? And are there any parts that are not removeable?

187_Maul - you had swapped your Darth Maul's body, was the head part easy to remove and add to another body?

Thank you.

Reaction score

The SSC heads are attached to a neck piece, which is attached to the body. I had to use some real force to get the head off the neck piece IIRC, but nothing broke or was damaged. I don't know if you can remove the neck piece from the body, I haven't tried it yet (and am not planning on doing it).
The head fits perfectly on the HT neck adapter (there are 2 for the TT body, depends on if the head you are using already has a neck or not). However, it doesn't snap into place, so you'll have to glue the head to the neck adapter if you want it to be durable. I haven't done this yet though, as the head stays on just fine, I just have to be careful when moving him.

Reaction score

No problem.
smile.gif

I learned most of the stuff from 'dedguy', a forum member of the Spawn and SSC board, who customizes a lot (and customized his Maul, which is where I got my idea/inspiration from) so I'm just passing it on.
crazy.gif