1:36 Amanamini

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been around much lately guys...been busy mastering my new toy. After seeing someone use a 3D printer to make both a 1:36 scale Amanaman, and a 1:6 scale Amanaman...I decided to venture out and buy a 3D Resin Printer.

First off...full disclosure...these printers have a steep learning curve and generate a ton of frustration along the way. But, for every half dozen fails, you get the satisfaction of something working great.

I've had this thing for a month...and am just now getting it down. Tons to learn...resins, exposure times, support settings, leveling, etc, etc...

This is my fourth attempt at an 'Amanamini'. The first was almost successful, however a damaged FEP resulted in one damaged arm and a somewhat separated torso. Second and third attempts failed. Finally, I had this little beauty waiting for me when I came home
Amanamini.jpg

This is pre-clean and cure.

The dude selling 3d scans of vintage figures doesn't have them all, but he does have several, including some other Last 17. He has branched off and started making custom 3d vintage style files, such as these...
ScreenShot233_large.jpgScreenShot856_large.jpgScreenShot041_large.jpg

So now I just have to figure out the best paints for these, and start making myself a set of 1/2 sized vintage figures

Reaction score
Sadly dropped the torso and snapped the tail...time to fire the printer back up...torso number 3!

Been kind of distracted from this project lately teaching myself to use Blender and designing challenge coins

Reaction score
Haven't gotten a chance to play with paints yet, an have been busy with a work project...but finally decided to try another half scale vintage figure to see just how detailed these printers can get...

I give you, a mini Jawa... sadly the arms didn't print, but that appears to be a support issue I can remedy. Here's the torso compared to the Amanamini, and on the face of my watch, for size comparison...even at this scale, the eyes are still slightly visible...
thumbnail (4).jpg

Attachments

Reaction score
Yes please :)! The colour for the torso is pantone 471 ,the yellow is 803 + and the bandoliers are 463 brown according to the original pre production colour spec sheet
I just need to figure out which model paint mixtures to achieve those...I need to just sit down one day and start mixing colors and seeing what I come up with

A few more half-scaled...

thumbnail (5).jpg

Reaction score
That's the only way to get it right :), i know that Jawas come in a wide variety of shades of orange brown and an even larger selection of bandolier colours. Especially for micro vc versions it would be easier to match the paint to the vinyl than to match the vinyl to a specific paint colour. That tiny little chewbacca looks like it would be the perfect scale for the vintage Milennium Falcon .

Reaction score
A resin printer, that is how you get your prints to look so smooth.

I had sent you a message asking that question then found this thread.

I have a Prusa and use PLA which does a great job with these vintage figures from Desertoctopuss, but they must be sanded and primed to get a better look.

3D printing is an art, but has been a boon for me when customizing vintage.

Reaction score
If it's any help, I really like the Citadel / Games Workshop paints, although I've heard good things about the Fantasy Flight Star Wars paint sets, too.

Reaction score
Is the resin you use flexible like a limb on an action figure or more ridged and brittle like a torso? PLA is ridged and brittle at times. I assume resin is ridged.

There is a flexible PLA which would be great for limbs, but it isn't easy to sand and paint.

I was able to improve on the design that Desertoctopuss created to give better articulation that isn't as fragile as his arm, neck and leg pegs.

Reaction score
Resin is ridged/brittle after it's cured in post...

Some of his pieces are a little off...I've had to adjust pins on the limbs of some figures and adjust sizes of parts

Reaction score
Amanaman the amanamin kindly gifted me a couple of his 3d printed micro Jawas. It took me forever to get one painted, but i am now the proud owner of the world's smallest vc Jawa 😃
20210422_132228.jpg20210422_132142.jpgthe paint for the body is Vallejo 70.981 orange brown, high gloss finish on the torso semi gloss for limbs. Bandoliers is Vallejo 70.846 mahogany brown. Hands glossy black, face dull black and Vallejo 70.915 deep yellow for the eyes. I've started a bunch of little projects while waiting for the paint to dry so i have to thank you again for the kind donation and the inspiration :)

Utinniii

Reaction score
I'm so jelly!
I have a bunch of the Micro Machines Jawas that I intended to put in the open hanger (if I ever get around to making my Sandcrawler), but a bunch of these in Galoob scale would look so much better.

The idea was that I'd use the smaller figures when I wasn't displaying the Hasbro figures, because let's face it. The vehicle scale is really more for smaller figures.

Reaction score
I'm so jelly!
I have a bunch of the Micro Machines Jawas that I intended to put in the open hanger (if I ever get around to making my Sandcrawler), but a bunch of these in Galoob scale would look so much better.

The idea was that I'd use the smaller figures when I wasn't displaying the Hasbro figures, because let's face it. The vehicle scale is really more for smaller figures.
Great minds think alike:), Amanaman sent me an extra one that i intend to make a mold of so i can populate the vintage Sandcrawler with an in scale crew. I'm just scared to use my normal oyumaru and milliput method because it's such a fragile little figure

Love the Jawa with his own Jawa figure...

Glad it turned out so well!!

Now you just need one of those life sized Jawa figures
Thanks again, glad you like the result:) I just need to figure out if it would be cheaper to print a lifesize figure or have it routed out of some foam like material. It would be worth it just to see the picture of the Jawa holding the Jawa holding the Jawa...

Incredible print and paint job!
Thanks:), I cheated on the colour match with the cape. The inflatable monkey skin i used was the wrong colour and so thin that it was semi transparant so i just painted one side of it to match the figure.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Great minds think alike:), Amanaman sent me an extra one that i intend to make a mold of so i can populate the vintage Sandcrawler with an in scale crew. I'm just scared to use my normal oyumaru and milliput method because it's such a fragile little figure

Thanks again, glad you like the result:) I just need to figure out if it would be cheaper to print a lifesize figure or have it routed out of some foam like material. It would be worth it just to see the picture of the Jawa holding the Jawa holding the Jawa...

Thanks:), I cheated on the colour match with the cape. The inflatable monkey skin i used was the wrong colour and so thin that it was semi transparant so i just painted one side of it to match the figure.
Could you clearcoat it first and then make sure the oyumaru is as soft as possible? (I'd throw it in the freezer right away since IDK if the resin would warp in heat).

This might just be from a dream I had, but I remember someone talking about "diamond coat" which made the object super strong. Actually, it might have been some kind of resin.

I'd love to see a life sized Kenner Jawa. I'd imagine it would need to be carved out of the thick insulation foam. Check out either Cosplay or Halloween Haunt tutorials. Or find some Pym Particles.