£85 for an autograph!!

Reaction score
So I'm getting excited, i've just received my 3 day pass for Celebration Europe! On top of that i read on the official site that Mark Hamill is coming!! I then notice under his picture that it will cost me £85 for his Autograph! Are they having a laugh. Do the Americans have to pay this Kind of money at their anual conventions or is it just us "europeans" who get ripped off left, right and centre? Or is it just me being tight with my hard earned cash? Your thoughts please...

Reaction score
I agree it is high. When Mark was at San Diego a few years ago I paid $75.00, and I thought that was high. I want his auto on a new poster I am working on, but I wont be paying for him this time.

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know what you normally pay for an autograph off Star Wars actors? In the past i've paid between £5 and £15 for a signed photo. Looking at the prices for C E the cheapest seems to be £20 just for an autograph!

Reaction score
Personally, I would rather pay the $148 than the £85. Thanks to a strong Pound, it works out to only £76 per auto!

Reaction score
It's still cheaper than having to goto to the US and get it.

So I don't mind at all.

-Nick

Reaction score
While at C4 last month, Carrie Fisher's autograph was $35+ 5 dollars for a photo and Anthony Daniels as well...

Reaction score
Stupidly overpriced. IF it included a photo with him, maybe a quick chat then i may consider it but £85 for an auto which will be obtained like a conveyor belt...No thanks

Reaction score
Hi Newlander, Just like you I recieved My Cellebration tickets today! WoW!! Over the last few months, I`ve been like a kid at Christmas, waiting patiently for any new and exciting news on the show of the century?! First there were the first confirmed guests, among mega stars like "the voice of Wedge" and the "Jabba the Hutt pupeteers"... Then we were supposed to get excited over the Darth Vader Balloon! Finally, we get some good news Mr Hammil is to attend...fantastic...one small snag £85.00 please! Ive been to loads of guest signings over the years, both in the U.K and in the U.S.A, and I really do believe Lucasfilm could`ve done better for all us fans. There has been superior Star Wars guest lists at Collectormania in Milton Keynes over the years and for the £85- price tag, you could bag an autograph of Billy Dee, Carrie Fisher, Pete Mayhew, Dave Prowse and still have change in your pocket...I`m sure that everyone will have a superb weekend dispite this issue - I know I will!

Reaction score
LOL! I want Mark hamill's auto but Damn! how expensive.I guess this is why he didnt come to C4, because he was way too overpriced.I have a feeling he may be doing the "2 ticket Rick"(this refers to Raplh Brown from C3 who charged 2 tickets for his auto and got noone to hardly purchase his auto-therefore I call this the "2 ticket Rick Syndrome").Hammil is notoriously overpriced.I said this was the reason he wasnt going to attend C4 and it looks as if I may have been right.The sad thing is I would have probably divied up 75 bucks for his auto at C4 if he would have been there.

Reaction score
What a rip off!
Definately will not be going now-like many people here, I've helped keep George's bank balance topped up over the years, but this whole event smacks to me of poor organisation and corporate greed.

Reaction score
It is overpriced, no doubt.

If Mr. Hamill were to be signing in the US, it might cost $100.00 at the most. The Celebration Europe cost is just about double that.

Now, I would pay it. But, that's because I'm a nutter(as you Brits like to say
) But, no matter how you sugarcoat it, the asking price is waaaay too high. And that's a fact.

Reaction score
Nick, they could tell you his autograph was $3000 (american) and you would be happy about it.

put things in perspective for once. It's out of control expensive. i dare anyone on these boards to find the last time someone star wars related charged that much to sign their name at a show. go ahead. aint going to happen. that price is just plain silly. you won't agree because they could serve up anything for you and it would be ho-hum. they could mark up mike edmonds to $100 per signature and you would think that is great too.

get some perspective man.

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a online store or autograph site would be willing to Hamills autograph at CE for me?

Reaction score
starwarsgrapher said:
Nick, they could tell you his autograph was $3000 (american) and you would be happy about it.

put things in perspective for once. It's out of control expensive. i dare anyone on these boards to find the last time someone star wars related charged that much to sign their name at a show. go ahead. aint going to happen. that price is just plain silly. you won't agree because they could serve up anything for you and it would be ho-hum. they could mark up mike edmonds to $100 per signature and you would think that is great too.

get some perspective man.
Considering this is being held in the biggest & most exspensive venue probaly in this country. It's still cheaper to get it here, than to go to the US. Thats perspective.

I wouldn't pay $100 for Mike edmonds, as I got that here for £10 and very easy to get. Mark Hamil for most of us is a very rare oppertunity, thats why the cost of his Autograph is justified on this occasion.

-Nick

Reaction score
I think £85 is too much too however, I have talked it over with my better half and we've both come to the conclusion that it's probably the only time I'll meet him in person so I'll be paying.

Take note: I have said I am not happy about this however, you will not hear me going on about it time and time again!!!!

Reaction score
The most I've ever paid for an autograph was £100 and that was for Buzz Aldrin, but he had walked on the moon and it was a one off...my most expensive Star Wars auto was about £20...as much as I'd like his auto its gonna take some thinking about, its a lotta dough!

Reaction score
Well I've been priced out of getting Hamill's auto so I'll just walk round, say 'Ooooh theres Luke Skywalker' and keep on walking to General Madine......we have stolen a small imperial shuttle lol.

It would have been nice but thats a stupid amount of money for a squiggle on a bit of paper.

Reaction score
£85 for anyone's autograph is a joke.

Lol that's over 3 times the ticket price to get in. Think about it.

Tim

Reaction score
I like marky have talked it over and decided that I'm gonna try to get the auto. Despite everyone moaning about the price however I believe that it will still be rock hard to get the ticket on the day.

Dudes...

It's Luke Skywalker!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Tim_Z said:

Tim
Yeah but it's either that or pay £100 plus to get to the US, plus Hotel & exspenses. Costs to get into the venue/convention etc. So £80 is worth it to save money, AND hassel.

-Nick

Reaction score
Cperry06 said:
I agree it is high. When Mark was at San Diego a few years ago I paid $75.00, and I thought that was high.
That's just it, in the UK it's the equivalent of $10 more. The dollar to pound ratio is going to kill most of us US/Canadian/Mexican guys coming over but to the UK guys it's normal spending. Sure, it's $170 to us but it's the equivalent of $85, or $10 more, in Europe.

If this bothers you guys I sense a LOT of angry people. Most non-UK companies setting up I hear will be changing dollar signs to pound signs, effectively doubling costs. However, it's a neccasary evil since flight, hotel, drayage, and other fees apply to even walk in the door. One artist I heard had to to turn the dollar sign into a pound and has to almost sell out at that price just to break even. Make no mistake, it will not be cheap for any of us, collectors, dealers, companies, and artists alike to make this journey. London is NOT cheap.

John

Reaction score
JohnA said:
Cperry06 said:
London is NOT cheap.

John
Sure aint, when i go for a day there, you dont ever come back with any of the notes you took.
I dont colect any autographs, i just like to walk past and see them so i dont have to worry about this. But goddame he having a laugh, paying that much to get a autograph from i boyhood hero.

Reaction score
I've been saving like mad for this event since it was announced and whilst I may not be able to get all the autos I wanted due to Mark's price I had budgeted £150.00 for autos so I'm happy to spend it.

Reaction score
Hamill has apparently agreed to do a Private signing with official Pix in september. I'll get his auto through them as he is sure to be alot cheaper

Reaction score
Nick_Macarty said:
Tim_Z said:

Tim
Yeah but it's either that or pay £100 plus to get to the US, plus Hotel & exspenses. Costs to get into the venue/convention etc. So £80 is worth it to save money, AND hassel.

-Nick
Or you could just send him a picture with a SASE and a nice letter and have him send it back to you. It's not like they're letting people pose for photos with him to prove it's authenticity to anyone that sees your autograph.

You don't have to fly to the US to get an autograph of an American.

Reaction score
Hense why i will be using Official Pix to get my Hamill auto. If fact, i may get a few of them

Reaction score
Lee_c00per said:
Hense why i will be using Official Pix to get my Hamill auto. If fact, i may get a few of them
Yeah, if you are a photo/Authograph person, Offical Pix is the place to go. I have his autograph already on two Master Replicas Sabers and soon to be on a third...I also have it on a Star Wars Comic Book, so I am content...and now freed up to purchase more of the exclusives at CE rather than on his scribble.

Reaction score
That's cool. As official pix had his autos for sales on their site for $100 i hope that's the most he's charging on this private signing. £50 or so i would be happy with.

£85...... Get out of here

Reaction score
Lee, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news....
but....
When Hamill did a private signing with Maki early this year, I think it was about $169.99 on a poster, time you send it to the States, pay for shipping back and possible customs, it turns out quite expensive, I really don’t think Official Pix will do it cheaper, I know you say he is up for $100 but that’s one photo, the general 10x8 are $149.99, please don’t bank on it being cheaper.....
This is where "Nick" makes a valid point about seeing him next week, even if it is going to be a cattle farm with the horrible Maki as the farmer....."no pictures, no touching, etc"....

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
Nick_Macarty said:
Tim_Z said:

Tim

-Nick
Or you could just send him a picture with a SASE and a nice letter and have him send it back to you. It's not like they're letting people pose for photos with him to prove it's authenticity to anyone that sees your autograph.

But then you don't get to meet him do you, hence why this is the prefered way of doing it at a good price. Plus you can say you saw him sign it, even better.

-Nick

Reaction score
Nick_Macarty said:
SirTristram said:
Nick_Macarty said:
Tim_Z said:

Tim

-Nick

But then you don't get to meet him do you, hence why this is the prefered way of doing it at a good price. Plus you can say you saw him sign it, even better.

-Nick
YOu can meet him at CE without paying, can't you?
It's all just preference. This is very cool for people that are really into stargazing or meeting celebrities. I am very happy for people to have the opportunity to meet him. Getting his autograph is great too, but for some it is just way to expensive.
This kind of singing has turned into too much a cold and shallow business for my taste. My favorite moments are meeting some of my favorite actors on the street or after a show and meeting them....even if I don't have a pen to get them to scribble on something.
Each to their own.

Reaction score
SirTristram said:
It's all just preference. This is very cool for people that are really into stargazing or meeting celebrities. I am very happy for people to have the opportunity to meet him. Getting his autograph is great too, but for some it is just way to expensive.
This kind of singing has turned into too much a cold and shallow business for my taste. My favorite moments are meeting some of my favorite actors on the street or after a show and meeting them....even if I don't have a pen to get them to scribble on something.
Each to their own.
For most people an autograph is your own little bit of proof you've met them. Yes no doubt I'll meet him for free at CE, but I don’t just want that. I want the experience of meeting someone, and then coming away with their autograph. If it's just a name I wanted, it wouldn't be much fun. I look at my autographs, and remember what we were talking about at the time & so on. It makes it more unique, than just a production line signature that just turns up in the post.

Although every Mark Hamil signature may be the same each time, we all each have an autograph that has it’s own story behind it. That’s what makes it interesting.

-Nick

Reaction score
Nick_Macarty said:
SirTristram said:
Each to their own.
For most people an autograph is your own little bit of proof you've met them. Yes no doubt I'll meet him for free at CE, but I don’t just want that. I want the experience of meeting someone, and then coming away with their autograph. If it's just a name I wanted, it wouldn't be much fun. I look at my autographs, and remember what we were talking about at the time & so on. It makes it more unique, than just a production line signature that just turns up in the post.

Although every Mark Hamil signature may be the same each time, we all each have an autograph that has it’s own story behind it. That’s what makes it interesting.

-Nick
Yeah, the story will go something like:
I remember when I PAID £85 to queue for a couple of hours to see someone for approx 10 secs and he wouldnt even pose for a picture!

Reaction score
emotionalvampire said:
Yeah, the story will go something like:
I remember when I PAID £85 to queue for a couple of hours to see someone for approx 10 secs and he wouldnt even pose for a picture!
But it’s better than saying I went all the way to the US for the same thing, and it cost me 50 times as much. I don’t need a photo to prove I met him, I’m sure I can trust myself.

-Nick

Reaction score
As a foot note to my previouse post, respect to everyone prepared to pay a Kings Randsome for Mr Hamill`s autograph. I meant no disrespect to the actor, the character he portrays or the fans in general. Personally, I would not be buying his autograph for its collectability or investment purposes, an autograph should be regarded as a truely individuals memento of a meeting with ones hero. This is why personally I do not own any autograph by anyone I have not personally met. I really don`t know what would be worse, being me and not being prepared to fork out the £85- or having the money in hand, and not being one of the lucky few to actually meet the man himself due to the time restrictions. I`ve heard he`s only signing on Friday and Saturday for 3hrs at a time....Good luck to anyone prepared to waste half their time at the convention queing for an autograph, they`ll never recieve!