Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorials, Useful Threads, & Customizing Questions

Re: Customizing Question & Answer thread

O.k. Another quick question: Has anyone used goo gone on plastic vehicles to remove labels? I'm trying to remove labels off of a larger ship and having a *&^%# of a time. I just wasn't sure if goo-gone would affect the plastic. Anyone know of an easy way to remove stubborn labels?
    Hasbro, hear my plea for the Rickshaw Droid!
    Current top five most wanted: rickshaw droid, Kalyn farnmir, veedaaz awmeth, toonbuck toora, BD-3000 "Betty droid".
    My feedback thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t858622/

It does affect the plastic badly in my experience, it will work but if used do it sparingly and quickly then wash the surface ASAP! I try very hard not to use it, my best experience is either letting it soak in hot water for a spell or using windex with Soap & water cleaning. It's tough to find any detergent that doesn't leave a small amount of residue behind.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Customizing a Clone Wars Y-Wing

I'm thinking of starting a customizing project on the new Clone Wars Y-Wing. I built models as a kid, but nothing since. So experience is light, but I'm a patient man who's willing to take the time and effort to get the results that I want.

Questions for the pros:

1. I'd like to open up the vehicle to install some LEDs, Any tips on cracking a vehicle open, without actually cracking the plastic. There are a lot of screws on the Y-Wing, but so far it looks like the plastic is somewhat sealed either by glue or by some kinds of "snap tight" mechanisms.

2. I'm going to repaint the ship, what is the best way to remove the yellow paint from the canopy glass without ruining it?

3. When I repaint the ship, should I primer it first?

I have been doing some research, and it looks like I have found some interesting tips on led types and installations from the RC car community. I have also seen some good weathering tips from the model railroad community. So this looks like it will be an interesting project and hopefully fun.

Thanks for any replies.

Don

O.k. Another quick question: Has anyone used goo gone on plastic vehicles to remove labels? I'm trying to remove labels off of a larger ship and having a *&^%# of a time. I just wasn't sure if goo-gone would affect the plastic. Anyone know of an easy way to remove stubborn labels?

Cigarette lighter fluid and a q-tip work great.
    take a look at my Millennium Falcon project at: http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1003955

Yeah, I'd probably use some %99 isopropyl alcohol. That's a pretty good solvent without being strong enough to eat up the plastic.
    Things I need
    Marvel Legends Jean Grey, Titanium Boba Fett helmet
    Have: BF Shocktrooper, various TFA, Tarkin, Zuckuss
    "Warning: If your Man is Iron for more than four hours, consult your Doctor Doom...

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I appreciate it.
    Current top five most wanted: rickshaw droid, Kalyn farnmir, veedaaz awmeth, toonbuck toora, BD-3000 "Betty droid".

Quote Originally Posted by rogue1

Cigarette lighter fluid and a q-tip work great.
    Yes and make sure you work next to a candle!
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

I want to make a custom version of Han's carbonite slab, but can't figure out which is closer to being screen accurate in terms of size- The Saga version or the Power of the Force version? Both are very different in terms of size.
    Any suggestions?
    *whines* "But I was going to the Tosche Station to pick up some action figures!"

It has been awhile since I have seen them, since unfortunately I don't have the space to display a lot of my stuff right now, but if I remember correctly, the saga version was closer to accurate. If someone could jump in with more proof, though, that would be great as I am going off of memory alone...

Hi guys! I want to do a dark wash of some kind on Romba's hood, since it has no paint apps at all and as such looks weak next to my other Ewoks. I'm not a customizer, so any tips and suggestions (i.e. what kind of paint, how to apply) anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast