Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: "AFA/3rd Party Professional Grading" Debate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by porkinsred6 View Post
    man what a blast from the past!

Since I last commented in this thread several years ago, CAS has joined the scene. I've sent many things to CAS over AFA because they seemed to offer better custom case designs and when they came out displayed loose accessories better than AFA. This started a nice arms race with each company trying to one-up the other in better cases and finer grades with the + added. A win for everyone.

However in my recent batch, I was surprised at some of the grades. When I sent stuff to AFA it was often downgraded too harshly where as a few times at CAS I think they graded too lightly. I'm not really in it for profit so I don't really care too much about the grade. What I care more about is preservation and well displayed items. and these companies provide that for me. The grade is a nice bonus for insurance purposes.
    You and me both.

What hurts my reasons to give AFA my business is the fact they literally told me that my UKG graded "TVC123" Stormtrooper (Mimban) would not keep its "U" status if they regraded it. CAS will do this as long as it is still carded. But AFA will not because they "do not know how UKG defines 'uncirculated' when it comes to their grading system". That is pretty much it. The status is as important to me as the carded figure. And I personally feel that if I am going to pay an additional $100 (shipping costs included) to have it re-graded, they should respect my need to preserve the "U" portion of this figure's history.

I recently sent a decent amount of MOC & loose figures to CAS, and was very happy with their customer service, especially with my OCD questions about protecting tri-logo bubbles. The timing couldn't have been better, since they recently hired more employees to speed up the turn around process. I'm very excited to see the finished products and grades, and I'll try to remember to leave feedback here when I get them back.
    I hope HASBRO finishes the original 92+ on the Vintage Collection Cards...(approx. 34 needed to complete it, depending on your certain point of view.)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112