Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration Swap Meet

Celebration Swap Meet

Need to thin out your collection? Don't want to have to hire a table in the dealer's area? One of the less-talked about events of Celebration Europe will be a swap meet that will allow collectors a chance to meet up and trade or sell their excess pieces.

The idea is that this will mimic a car boot sale by giving you a table so that you can sell your unwanted toys, or finish off a classified sale/trade that you have been conducting through Rebelscum. The important thing to remember is that this is a non-dealer area and the tables are free for a limited duration (say an hour or two).

So, if anyone can think of any suggestions to make this area of CE (which is my brainchild BTW ) a success please post them here. You can also use this thread to make a post if you are going to take a table, what you might have (no exhaustive stock lists please) and when you'll be attending. Remember - NO DEALERS.

In related news, the Rebelscum table will be directly opposite the Swap Meet area so you can all pop over to see myself, Jose and Stephane. Sadly Peter is unable to attend due to his recent illness. (The Fan Site area will get its own thread soon as details are finalised.)

Jeremy
    LEGO Star Wars content manager - Rebelscum
    LEGO Star Wars forum administrator - Rebelscum
    RLFM Representative - LEGO Ambassador Network

Re: Celebration Swap Meet

Bump - is no one interested in this? Please post your opinions, because the organisers are watching and they'd like to know what you think.

Jeremy

Its a cool idea in principle but I suppose the major draw back is that its very dependent on what people bring with them, I would imagine the dealers with bring some of their 'high' end stuff as it may well shift with the number and level of collectors being there, but individuals might not be too bothered.

Plus I suppose there are questions about how do you publicize what you have (will there be a central notice/swap board or do you have to stand around?), will there be somewhere to store items so you don't have to lug them round with you.

I suppose to make it work well it needs loads of publicity so people not only check it out but bring stuff with them.
    All Hail the Power of the HypnoToad

Larry Hama in the UK?

Thanks for posting ODB

I think that there will be people who hear about CE and just go for the day. They're going to find the price of SW collectibles a bit daunting and might like the cheaper prices in the swap meet.

Good point about storage though, and yes people will just have to turn up and pitch their wares.

Jeremy

Sounds like a good idea but like has been said, it's storgae that's the problem. I have a couple of autographs that i'd like to get rid off.

I'm trying to sell my 2 signed posters but no one seems interested on ebay as i guess they assume they're fake

Will there be any questions raised at the entrance, for people getting in with collectibles and such?
    Team Rebelscum staff member.
    E-mail: jose@rebelscum.com
    SWCP co-founder.
    S.W.O.R.A. Co-founder.

Jeremy, that's an awesome idea! However, I can't think that dealers would be in favor of it. If that was tried in LA I bet you would hear a LOT of dissent from people who just paid $1000+ to set up there and you're offering essentially the same thing free of charge.

I wish you luck because I'd love to see it! But make sure it will fly with everyone first.

-chris
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

Access is free for both buyers and sellers, and the time you can is limited so that dealers won't get too pissy. I'd imagine that this is where a lot of junk that dealers won't touch will get sold.

Jeremy

Didnt they do they in there hotel rooms at C2 and 3 ??

Maybe post what you have and so who is interestede in coming along

Mark

Hope to see you all there

I am sorry but as I am one of those people who has paid over 1000 for tables at this show.......I have to make my feelings known on this situation.

My first question is why should there be a swap meet within the hall at all ? When dealers are having to pay upwards of 500 for one table to then find people being given table space for free taking business away from the dealer area.

Celebration 3 there was a fantastic swap meet which took place at the Omni Hotel on the Friday night of C3. I know this as I went as a member of these forums and purchased a number of items for my own collection. Why can't this be repeated again but at Celebration Europe.

Is this officially going to happen ? because if it does I believe that the organisers are going to have to set a number of very strict and I mean strict guidelines to which people must stick to, including only items to be swapped and not sold.......if you are selling then you should be classed as a dealer and as such you would then have to pay for tables for the whole weekend ie at 500 plus VAT per table.

Nick

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast