Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Discoloration - a.k.a. "prototypes and variations"

Re: Discoloration - a.k.a. \"prototypes and variati

I realize this comment may be a bit out of place in a thread about the severe and sometimes bizarre discolorations of vintage figs, and I realize the plastics used are probably very different (though I'll have to defer to the chemists and engineers among us on that, ultimately), but I just spent some time playing Playskool SW figs with my 6-year-old daughter, and noticed that some of the Stormies and Biker Scouts are already starting to yellow in the limbs. These figs have never been exposed to sunlight, and have been exposed to very little (and weak) artificial light, and are already discoloring in just a couple of years. In light (pun inevitable) of that, I think no one should be surprised at exotic discolorations of plastic figs 25-30 years old.

Chad

Re: Discoloration - a.k.a. \"prototypes and variations\"

Anyone got a tan-limbed Klaatu to share ?

Perfect figure for this thread
    My Feedback
    Looking to acquire vintage hardcopy parts.

Ok, here's my contribution. This was up in another thread, but it fits this one well. Ironicly the Rebel Commander has the same discoloration on his boots as the one a few posts up, but on the opposite feet. The Pruneface is obviously discolored in the legs and arms, but what is not so obvious is his hands - they are actually a much lighter pink than a regular figure (no doubt due to the same forces that caused the other discoloration.)

Matt

haha how cool would a faded set of 93 figures be
    WTB: Starroid Raiders / Space People / Space Fighter or other Tomland Figures: Paulycollects@gmail.com

We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    In nomine patris, et filii....et spiritus sancti.

Don't be fooled by a "rare" green Amanaman staff either...

John_Sh

That Amanaman staff is a good one. Most faded figures are a case of obvious discoloration. That staff, however, is pretty uniform in discoloration except for the one spot on the front. If it were totally uniform, I would bet it would be cake to pass off to someone as a FS in non-production color plastic.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_T
    That staff is pretty uniform in discoloration except for the one spot on the front. If it were totally uniform, I would bet it would be cake to pass off to someone as a FS in non-production color plastic.
    Yeah, or similar to the green Yoda staff perhaps. With this particular one (now sold), the back was much greener than the front so it had obviously been "cooking" on one side for a while. A quick uniform decay might fool some people like you say.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Twisted_Sithster
    These figs have never been exposed to sunlight, and have been exposed to very little (and weak) artificial light, and are already discoloring in just a couple of years.
    From what I understand the oils from your hands can also start or accelerate the yellowing process. I also believe some of these newer figures are made very cheaply (at least white ones).

I have a POTJ Scout that I took off the card myself and have had it stored in a case with glass doors in a room with no light coming in since I opened it and it's already more of a cream than white. I noticed it recently when cleaning and compared it to a carded one. Maybe it's a prototype or a cream colored variant.

John
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com My PMs are full so please don't use.

When I started this thread I had intended it to showcase the consistent and thorough fading that generally drove up ebay sales. Had I known it would turn into a fledgling leper colony I would have thought twice. There are some seriously UGLY figures out there! Some of you guys are really brave!

-chris
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA
    I have a POTJ Scout that I took off the card myself and have had it stored in a case with glass doors in a room with no light coming in since I opened it and it's already more of a cream than white.
    Hey, is it just me, or do other people think that Power of the Jedi sounds like a great name for a toy line?

- Allan
    wtb: 3 3/4" vintage Yoda first shots, top prices paid.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast