Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CE: Not Just For Europeans

CE: Not Just For Europeans

In case any of our North American brothers are thinking of attending, let me asure you that you will all be welcomed with open arms by us filthy, chain smoking, garlic eating, bad driving, poor dental hygiene, Volvo driving Europeans.

In order to make the transition easier, here is a link to a UK -> US dictionary.

If there are any terms you've heard on TV or the movies you want clarified then please post here and we'll discuss it openly before you go putting your foot in your mouth.

For instance in Britain a f.ag is something you'd put in your mouth and suck on, but you'd want to light it first because its slang for cigarette.

Likewise a rubber isn't something you'd have to hide from your mother or priest. In fact you could leave it on your desktop to correct any mistakes you'd made while writing with pencil. Answer: eraser.

Jeremy
    LEGO Star Wars content manager - Rebelscum
    LEGO Star Wars forum administrator - Rebelscum
    RLFM Representative - LEGO Ambassador Network

Re: CE: Not Just For Europeans

Great post Jeremy.

Better also tell them that "schots is what a schotsman drinks". Im sure some of our american friends could mix up "schotsh" and "schottish".

whats a good word for "guest" - as in, i will need to be someones "guest" in their home because the U.S dollar makes this trip one of the most expensive that i will ever go on.

I don't know what's the actual term for that, but some private owners sometimes have separate rooms for hiring, so to say.

But this would rather be outside London, I think. If you don't mind going into London by train for an hour or so, for example, this wouldn't be much of a problem, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HWR
    Better also tell them that "schots is what a schotsman drinks". Im sure some of our american friends could mix up "schotsh" and "schottish".
    Actually it is "scotch" and "Scottish".

Quote Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
    I don't know what's the actual term for that, but some private owners sometimes have separate rooms for hiring, so to say.
    I think you are thinking of "lodger" but these are for long-term periods and not for a weekend, or even a week.

Quote Originally Posted by amdevil
    whats a good word for "guest" - as in, i will need to be someones "guest" in their home because the U.S dollar makes this trip one of the most expensive that i will ever go on.
    You want to look out for a bed and breakfast. Aside from a youth hostel they're the cheapest form of accomodation.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    You want to look out for a bed and breakfast. Aside from a youth hostel they're the cheapest form of accomodation.

Jeremy
    Do hotels offer this kind of accommodation, as well?
    Team Rebelscum staff member.
    E-mail: jose@rebelscum.com
    SWCP co-founder.
    S.W.O.R.A. Co-founder.

Brilliant post, Jeremy. Another useful bit of little-known information is that Wales is a country that is part of the United Kingdom (for some reason), while whales are ocean-going mammals.

Also "fanny" means something quite different in the UK LOL.
    Hate leads to lollipops...
    Proud female Star Wars collector. Geek Chicks unite!
    My Trade Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Meriwyn
    Also "fanny" means something quite different in the UK LOL.
    *shakes head*

someone had to lower the convo!
    For those about to rock, we salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellorrs_Madak
    Another useful bit of little-known information is that Wales is a country that is part of the United Kingdom (for some reason)
    Not quite. Wales is a Principality in the Kingdom of England and Wales, and not a country. The country is actually the United Kingdom of the British Isles (to give it its proper name), though most Yanks call it England (which simply won't do).

Just to clarify, the United Kingdom is a number of historical kingdoms whose crowns have merged through conquest, marriage and descent. The kingdoms are:

1) England & Wales
    2) Scotland
    3) Ireland (though only Ulster has been retained)

To further clarify things (and probably confuse you even more):

The British Isles are a geographical entity of thousands of islands, and is the largest archipelago on the planet.
    Great Britain is the largest island in the archipelago, and is home to Scotland, England and Wales - as well as some 58 million people.

If you leanr one thing from this post make sure that it is this:

If you are coming to Celebration Europe please remember that the country you are in is not called England. England is just one part of the country that is know as the United Kingdom.

I'll be listening out for anyone making this mistake and will be cracking heads if I catch you.

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast