Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comprehensive POTF, Droids & Ewoks Coin Thread

Re: The Comprehensive POTF, Droids & Ewoks Coin Thread

Hmm... I guess if the list was made based on how the coins were distributed, then I guess I am fine with the list, but if it's based on scarcity I think the list should be modified, just minor changes. Is Luke Bespin really a CAT 5 coin?

\\Sean

Re: The Comprehensive POTF, Droids & Ewoks Coin Th

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy777
    Hmm... I guess if the list was made based on how the coins were distributed, then I guess I am fine with the list, but if it's based on scarcity I think the list should be modified, just minor changes. Is Luke Bespin really a CAT 5 coin?

\\Sean
    The article was written quite a while ago. The thing with coins is availability can change at any time. I seem to remember at one time Luke Bespin being one of the harder coins to come by. Obviously since then more of them have been found and brought to the market, so now it is a much easier coin to get.

I remember hearing something around the time of CIV about a revision to the categories, but haven't heard anything new since then.
    Collection Website|U Grade FAQ|My Feedback

WTB: Luke Jedi POTF Proof

Here is a description of the different categories from the previous mentioned article.

I. Coins for characters introduced during the POTF era that were found bundled with carded figures. Kenner produced these new figures in greater proportions than characters that had previously appeared on a card, hence these coins are the easiest to find.

II. This category pertains to coins for characters that were found on POTF card but had also appeared on earlier cards. These coins are less common than the POTF exclusives in Category I.

III. These are mail-away exclusive coins (i.e. they were never bundled with carded figures). Coins in this category are almost as common as coins that appeared on card as these coins were the most likely ones to be received via the POTF coin mail away offer.

IV. Tougher mailaway-only coins. Some of these were shipped to consumers, but in far fewer quantity than Category III coins.

V. Coins in this category are extremely rare. Most people attempting to complete POTF sets spend half their time looking for this small set of coins. Extremely few of these coins were made available to the public and most of the coins in circulation from this category were obtained directly from Kenner employees.

VI. Prototype coins and rare variations. Coins in this category are so limited that only a small handful of each is known to exist.

Hello Shawn,

A revision is definitely needed, some of those CAT 4s can easily be placed in CAT 5, And Luke Bespin is definitely an easy coin to find.

\\Sean

Yes, I agree. I revision is definitely needed by someone in the know...

around 2000 I sold several Luke Bespin coins for close to $200 each, now they fetch much, much less and are much more common and would rate them Cat. 3, I think.

Meanwhile, both Chirpa and Creatures coins seem to be very scarce now... I remember selling both of these coins in the $50-70 range back in 2000... now they're selling for 4 times that...

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of trademarkless coins? Can anyone elaborate on the origins of those coins? Several of the POTF trademarkless coins seem to be the same coins issued under the MM run. Is this coincidence? I have heard that there are some Droid and Ewok trademarless variations out there too, anyone know for sure?

Chad

I know for sure that the Han Solo (original coin) exists without trademark. I have heard the emperor coin exists sans trademark.

Deon
    Deon
    Member of the 62 club!
    Wanted: rare coin items
    My (small) Feedback

These are the ones I know of on Ed's Site.
    I'm pretty sure there are more.

Are the Droids & Ewoks coins Gold and Bronze plated? Meaning, they are Silver in color underneath? Thanks in Advance.
    "I'm such a hardcore OT purist, I hate the title "A New Hope" being added!"
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi534
    Are the Droids & Ewoks coins Gold and Bronze plated? Meaning, they are Silver in color underneath? Thanks in Advance.
    Yes, they were dyed/anodized.

-Chad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast