Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Comprehensive POTF, Droids & Ewoks Coin Thread

The Comprehensive POTF, Droids & Ewoks Coin Thread

Ok folks with all the questions and talk about coins recently I felt a thread like this was needed. I do not want to have too much discussion in this threads as there are plenty of other threads for that. I want this thread to ONLY contain FACTS. Please keep this in mind if you post.

Hopefully this thread will contain all the information needed on these coins.

Please start by checking the coin chart on the archive HERE

This includes most of the know variations of all the coins. It includes first shot Droids and Ewoks coins and the unproduced ones as well.

Any Ewoks or Droids coin in silver is a first shot.

There are a couple variations missing which will hopefully be added soon.

Additional unlisted coins include

Silver Blank Back 63rd Coin
    Gold First Shot Warok Coin
    Double Sided Coins (Only 2 Known and they were not part of the production process but something that the employee made at the time)

Blank Bronze Coin (Blank on both sides)

Droids R2-D2 First Shot in Bronze
    Kez Iban Silver First Shot Jan Josh Typo on back.
    Sise Fromm Silver First Shot with Tig Fromm Back
    Tig Fromm Silver First Shot with Sise Fromm Back
    Uncle Gundy Silver First Shot Jan Josh Typo on back.

All Unproduced Droids coin PAINTED GOLD except Gaff. Although almost all have only 1 or 2 examples not on carded figures.

Cheif Chirpa and Chituhr PAINTED Bronze
    Bondo Silver First Shot with lower case Jovial on the back (Extremely Rare)

13 Bronze POTF Coins Include but may not be limited to
    Anakin
    Barade
    Chief Chirpa
    Darth Vader
    Han Solo Carbonite
    Imperial Dignitary
    Imperial Gunner
    Lando General
    Lando Cloud City
    Luke Stormtrooper
    Ben Kenobi
    Romba
    Stormtrooper

The Lando General and Dignitary are much more common then any of the others.

Millennium Minted Coins First Shots are the Thicker Coins with Blank Backs
    Chewbacca
    Han Solo (Falcon Ramp)
    Snowtrooper

There are silver first shots of the 3 Bend-Ems coins.

There are also about 43 Coins that are all silver and are thicker then the basic coin. These coins are NOT vintage coins and were made during the Millennium Minted coin era.

This should be a complete listings of all known coins although it is possible new coins could turn up or that there may be an additional typo coin missing.

Thanks

James G
    Vlix Character Collector
    Unproduced Droids & Ewoks Figure & Coin Collector.
    Looking for Foreign Droids and Ewoks items.

Re: The Comprehensive POTF, Droids & Ewoks Coin Thread

This is a post that relates to the Thicker POTF Coins ONLY.
    Special thanks go out to Todd for this indepth explaniation.

Since I'm familiar with the employee who had these coins (I was part of the group of collectors who bought coins from him in about 2000), I'll try to clarify what gaps I can. There are some parts that are inconclusive, which is why I think there has not been many definitive postings on the topic by others who have seen the coins in question.

First, I definitely do not think these coins are vintage in terms of being made in 1984-86. Second, while not vintage, I do not think the source of these coins produced them recently, and do not think there was ill intent on his part.

Some background to clarify my conclusions: the same company that made about 40 different coins for the vintage line also made the Millennium Mint reissues in the 90s. The aluminum thickness of the coins in question matches those of the Millennium Mint coins, and also matches some aspects of Millennium Mint prototypes that surfaced from other sources.

The coin source confirms that his company did run some samples for Kenner at the time of Millennium Mint, but continues to insist that he was able to tell the difference between samples he'd kept from the 80s and those he kept from the 90s. He eventually came to accept that there was some reason to doubt that conclusion, and from I have been told offered a full refund to the person he had sold them to, who in turn said he had offered full refunds to any of his buyers if they were skeptical about their vintage. These are second-hand accounts that I cannot confirm, but I trust that they are true.

I have several reasons for believing these are Millennium Mint era samples and not reproductions made for the collectors market. First, the coin source has not worked for the coin company for years. Second, there appear to have been equivalent numbers of each coin style available, including coins that only sell for a couple dollars each at full retail (Warok, EV-9D9, etc.) and it does not seem worth his time to have gone through the trouble of setting up to make these.

It has been suggested that since the thicker coins were not offered for sale as part of the 2000 find suggests they were made more recently (the thicker coins first popped up in 2005), but having seen how this guy stores stuff in general it seems completely plausible to me that these were simply stored elsewhere in his house and he found them later. Consider how small coins are—quite a few can fit into a small space among other items. It’s one of the reasons many Kenner employees still have them years later when other things have been thrown out—they take up very little space and more easily survive moves, spring cleaning, etc.

Regarding the important question of whether these belong to the vintage era, I strongly believe they are not. On the other hand, I do not have any concerns that the source cranked these out recently to meet collector demand, and as far as I know there should only be 10 or so at most of any of these coins. It seems like some pieces have circulated through several different sellers in the past year or so, though, spreading them around the hobby a bit since POTF coins tend to change hands a lot in general.

To place these pieces in what I believe to be their proper context then, these could be considered prototypes or samples, but from the Millennium Mint era, which is a significant difference to most collectors. Still interesting in their own way, but not an equal substitute for a vintage coin.

Todd

--------------------
    Todd Chamberlain
    todd@toychamber.com
    Collecting vintage Star Wars action figure items, Lili Ledy, vintage store displays, food-related promo items & misc.
    Vlix Character Collector
    Unproduced Droids & Ewoks Figure & Coin Collector.
    Looking for Foreign Droids and Ewoks items.

Re: The Comprehensive POTF, Droids & Ewoks Coin Th

Post removed to ensure simultaneous discussion does not occur on the same topic given the newly posted seperate thread. -Mike
    WTB: Palitoy ESB Han Hoth, PBP Han Hoth (ESB & ROTJ)
    WTS: Rocket Firing Fett Missile. L and J slot available

Vintage Toy Archive: http://www.12back.com

Is there a detailed account of the small Luke Pilot coin. I know Toys R Gus states it was an early proto, and about 400 or so are out there, but is there a mroe detailed account of this coin's story posted anywhere?
    "I am The Mad Bubbler. Breathe in the vapors of my madness!"

Most of the coins out on the market today came from one man: Steve Denny - who, I believe, bought them at a flea market in Cincy sometime in the late 80's. Other have been foudn here and there, but nothing on the magnitude of that stash, as far as I know.

Cj
    WTB: Palitoy ESB Han Hoth, PBP Han Hoth (ESB & ROTJ)
    WTS: Rocket Firing Fett Missile. L and J slot available

Vintage Toy Archive: http://www.12back.com

James, can you tell me a little bit more about the coins that were produced as prototypes.
    I know some of them like the Luke small coin, the "frosted" Lando, the Luke Jedi early coin or some others concerning the droids and ewoks series.
    But what are their scarcity, how much were produced and how did they go to the second market ?
    I'm looking for Meccano items, 4-ups, proof cards... check my want list .

With all the restrike discussion lately, I've posted a list of the re-struck coins. I may have over looked a few but I think the list is pretty accurate.

Power of the Force

2-1B
    A-Wing
    Amanaman
    AT-AT
    AT-ST Driver
    Bib Fortuna
    C3PO
    Chewie
    Creatures
    Emperor
    ERG
    EV-9D9
    Gammorrean Guard
    Han Original
    Han Trench Coat
    Hoth Trooper
    Jawa
    Jedi Knights(63rd)
    Leia Poncho
    Logray
    Luke Poncho
    Luke X-Wing
    Luke Bespin
    Lumat
    Millenium Falcon
    R2-D2
    TIE Pilot
    Warok
    Wicket
    Yoda
    Zuckuss

Droids & Ewoks

C3PO
    Governor Koong
    Jessica Meade
    Jord Dusat
    Kea Moll
    Kez-Iban
    King Gomeesh
    Kleb Zellock
    Mungo Baobab
    R2-D2
    Thall Joben
    Uncle Gundy
    Vlix

Hope this helps,

-Chad

Here is a list of the basic 62 coin set by catagory, excluding prototypes & variants. If I missed anything please let me know so I can correct it. Info from SWCA Coin Chart.

Catagory 1:
    Amanaman
    A-Wing Pilot
    Barada
    EV-9D9
    Han Solo (Carbonite)
    Imperial Dignitary
    Imperial Gunner
    Lando Calrissian (General)
    Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper)
    Luke Skywalker (Poncho)
    Lumat
    Paploo
    Romba
    R2-D2 (Pop-Up Lightsaber)
    Warok

Catagory 2:
    Anakin Skywalker
    AT-ST Driver
    Biker Scout
    B-Wing Pilot
    Chewbacca
    C-3PO
    Darth Vader
    Emperor
    Gamorrean Guard
    Han Solo (Trenchcoat)
    Jawas
    Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
    Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Princess Leia (Endor)
    Stormtrooper
    Teebo
    Wicket
    Yak Face
    Yoda

Catagory 3:
    Chief Chirpa
    "Creatures"
    Emperor's Royal Guard
    Han Solo (Hoth)
    Luke Skywalker (Original)
    Logray
    TIE Fighter Pilot

Catagory 4:
    AT-AT (Vehicle)
    Bib Fortuna
    Boba Fett
    "Droids"
    Greedo
    Imperial Commander
    Lando Calrissian (Original)
    Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
    Millenium Falcon (Vehicle)
    Star Destroyer Commander

Catagory 5:
    2-1B
    FX-7
    Han Solo (Original)
    Hoth Stormtrooper
    Luke Skywalker (Bespin)
    Princess Leia (Boushh)
    Princess Leia (Original)
    Sail Skiff (Vehicle)
    Tusken Raider
    Zuckuss
    "I'm so hardcore, I hate the title "A New Hope" being added!"
    My Feedback

This list isn't written in stone, right? There are CAT 5 coins on your list that are "easy" to get and some of your CAT 4s are near impossible. I think Greedo and Luke Hoth definitely deserve a CAT 5 designation. The Luke Bespin coin is everywhere. I think when this list was made some of these coins may have been more elusive than others but now after all of these years of collecting, I think this list should be updated, what do you think?

\\Sean

I have no idea what coin is harder or easier to find outside of the Last 17. I compiled this list because there was no breakdown (that I could find) of coins by just catagory. Most are alphabetical with catagory refrenced along with a bunch of prototypes thrown in. I'm not sure and correct me if I am wrong but the SWCA catagory has nothing to do with how scarce a coin is, but how it was released. Yes, No? I just wanted a list that was easy to follow.
    "I'm so hardcore, I hate the title "A New Hope" being added!"
    My Feedback

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast