Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON or other powers to

How about if GENCON sells a slightly smaller amount of tickets and charges a little more? That way they will still make their money, and we won't have to be packed in like sardines like at C3. I mean, it would be nice to fit the whole world into a confined space but it's just not possible. At some point you have to draw the line.
    |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The dealer room closed too early at C3 IMO, I'd like to see it opened later into the night. I didn't get to spend as much time in it as I would have liked because I was too busy attending the collector presentations.

That being said though, I'd also really like to see the collector presentations continue at C4. I find them fascinating.

Tommy
    Vintage Forums Moderator
    Looking for interesting Luke Poncho, Kea Moll and Micro items!
    "Time in its aging course teaches all things."- Prometheus Bound

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Geester
    How about if GENCON sells a slightly smaller amount of tickets and charges a little more? That way they will still make their money, and we won't have to be packed in like sardines like at C3. I mean, it would be nice to fit the whole world into a confined space but it's just not possible. At some point you have to draw the line.
    Geester - this actually is a very good suggestion. You remember how crowded Exhibit Hall D was at C3. We were rubbing elbows with people as we walked from table to table. And taking pics of vendor tables / displays was very difficult at times with all the traffic walking about.

Now I hate to deny a fan the ability to attend C4 based on a high admission price. But you are right - when does GenCon and LFL simply say enough is enough?

I think GenCon is working on making improvements this time. One big detractor will be the change of venue. Just when they had the Indy layout figured out, they'll have to start over. I've never been to LACC before, but GenCon and the SW folks know what to expect people-wise.

I believe one major improvement is having the store open 24 hours a day and having it be self-serve. At least as far as getting the merchandise I guess. It's plainly evident by now that some people's main purpose in going to these is to buy the official merchandise. I've seen it at all 3 Celebrations so far. Day-long lines, cold weather, and/or rain are no deterrents. The store should be big, have plenty of registers and have people constantly working to restock it. I think GenCon can plan the merchandise accordingly as well given the prior experience.

I think the idea of being able to preorder exclusive figures is fantastic. That would cut down on so much clutter people-wise. I'd even say that you could reduce lines by 25% if you let people order figures ahead of time with their passes. Now, getting the figures to the people in that time is another thing. I know it's another logistical exercise to ship out all of that product, but it's doable.
    I wish people didn't spend their time at the convention waiting in a store line. The figures are always available later on, and unless you're trying to have them up for sale on ebay during the convention, it makes more sense to wait. You can get a C3 Vader now for about what it cost in the C3 store originally.

The suggestion of having different lines for badge holders is great. This usually applies more to the Saturday/Sunday crowd which seems to be more random locals showing up. Not sure how the door situation of the LACC is, but if they can handle 60k people for E3 then this shouldn't be a huge issue. However, there are inherent differences with a Celebration that you have to deal with that other things like E3 don't. You have people at E3 lining up at 3 AM to get in, poeple are trying to get in to do different things, not just browse a big hall, and there isn't the scare of rationed merchandise at risk. It's not really an apples to apples comparision.

Other suggestions would be to have more space and more frequent occurrences of popular attractions. I think 3 Celebrations worth of experience with that should allow them to know what most convention-goers are after.

Keeping the dealer room open later is a great idea. It makes the dealers have to go eat dinner later, but at least it gives people time to browse. Having the dealer room open 1-2 hours after the other events have shut down gives people time to shop around and not worry that they're missing out on something else. Let's face it, most of what the dealers have can be purchased online so why would people want to miss out on convention activities when they could just hit ebay afterwards? Impulse-buying notwistanding, of course.

Having clear instructions for volunteers (so that each one actually knows what's what) is important. There's no shortage of volunteers, so making use of free labor should be a given. Have volunteers routinely walk up and down lines announcing what's happening for that line, or what will happen. People standing for hours and only hearing scant info doesn't help. If something is filled up, or sold out, or takes 20 minutes for 8 people to participate in, then let the rest of the line know - often.

If your voluteers had walkie talkes, then it's even better. At least they could ask someone in the know or they'd hear other conversations which would automatically keep them up to date and now to move things along or assist people.

On a related note, having general (PA system) announcements would be a great idea. Then everyone knows what's happening. Many Celebrations had problems because people were getting different instructions from different people and they didn't know what was what. People at the end of an 8-hour line really feel clueless when they don't hear any info or when they're wondering if they are in the correct line or if that line will dissolve before they get in the door.

If something looks like it will be sold out or filled up before the end of the line can participate then a volunteer should routinely be at the cut-off spot warning others not to line up. Or have something printed up that you give to the people at the end of the line that says "LINE FULL" or something to that effect so others will realize that it's done. The people at the back of the line would be in charge of spreading the word. I think they'd be willing to do it.

Spreading this event out over 5 days is a grand idea, but if some events/presentation only happen once or twice then you'll still have lines to contend with. It's unavoidable, really. Then it just comes down to how to manage those folks. I've see the speed-pass system suggested. Same thing used in theme parks. You would have a line to get speed passes, of course, but you wouldn't have a glut of people sprawled out down a hallway for 6 hours.

Keeping everyone flowing around should be the ultimate goal. Measures developed to do such a thing should be deployed. I know there are experts out there because crowd-control isn't a new phenomenon. Then again, it is LA and I think the freeway system has made them accustomed to lines.

-chris
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    chris@toysrgus.com

I do believe brians toys need their butts kicked this time round I was shocked seeing what went down at their booth during C3 which was posted above.

I've actually heard this suggested earlier in the year and agree.
    Dustin Roberts
    Content Manager
    TheForce.net - Your Daily Dose Of Star Wars
    Rebelscum.com - Star Wars Collecting News
    R2D2Central.com - Chicks Dig The Dome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Garvey
    I'd also really like to see the collector presentations continue at C4. I find them fascinating.

Tommy
    I'm sure the Gus Lopez Posse has already been contacted for more presentation goodness ;-)
    Dustin Roberts
    Content Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Justin
    Geester - this actually is a very good suggestion. You remember how crowded Exhibit Hall D was at C3. We were rubbing elbows with people as we walked from table to table. And taking pics of vendor tables / displays was very difficult at times with all the traffic walking about.

Now I hate to deny a fan the ability to attend C4 based on a high admission price. But you are right - when does GenCon and LFL simply say enough is enough?
    Ya know whats funny too is that they widened the isle ways for C-3 more than they were for C-2. C-2 was way more crowded IMO.
    Dustin Roberts
    Content Manager

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Justin

Ya know whats funny too is that they widened the isle ways for C-3 more than they were for C-2. C-2 was way more crowded IMO.
    Widened the aisles? For who, Kenny Baker amd his wife?

But seriously, you remember how it was. Chaotic to say the least in Exhibit Hall D.

If possible, set up a dedicated room with a couple thousand seats, a full size movie screen, excellent sound system and digital movie projector and show all six films around the clock for all five days. That way no one will ever have to wait in line to see a special one-time-only screening.

I wonder how many people would actually go watch the movies, even if they were being shown in a state of the art theater, if there wasn't a special "limited showing" aspect to them. Very few, I'll bet.
    Go mbíodh an fhórsa leat

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast