Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON & LUCASFILM

Re: C4: Suggestions for GEN CON or other powers to

I went to Celebration III last year. I got in the "special" Star Wars Fan Club members only line to get into the building a half-hour before the doors opened. It took more than TWO HOURS for everyone in line ahead of me to go through the TWO entrance doors they had for the THOUSANDS of people in that line.

There was a similarly humongous line for the non fan club members.

By the time I got in they had closed the line to the store because there were already too many people in line. Same thing happened the next day. You had to essentially plan to get there early enough to be near the front of the line to get into the building, and then spend the rest of that day in line to get into the store.

Finally on the third day I was able to get into the store line (and only after ignoring a GenCon employee who said it was pointless getting in line because it was unlikely we were going to actually get into the store). Then it took SEVEN HOURS of standing (and sitting) in line to buy stuff from the official store. They had maybe 10 counter people serving thousands of people. As we were waiting there HOUR AFTER HOUR they announced the latest items they had just sold out of. By the time I got a chance to buy anything they were sold out of half of the items.

The whole thing was poorly planned and woefully understaffed and understocked.

The same gang will be running Celebration IV. You have been warned.

Suggestions? MORE ENTRANCE DOORS!!! Don't try to move thousands of people through TWO DOORS (with another two doors for the non fan club members).

BRING ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!!! and HIRE ENOUGH STAFF TO SELL IT!!!. Don't make people wait SEVEN HOURS to buy the few things you didn't run out of. They missed out on THOUSANDS of $$$$$$$$ in sales because they didn't bring enough merchandise. There were people willing to wait SEVEN HOURS standing in line to buy their stuff, AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!

This isn't rocket science.
    Clone Wars scenes + Band of Brothers theme music = Army of Brothers video

See we did the long wait to get in on thurs, but by saturday we just went right in through the smokers door...we literally got there, and as everyone was just starting to enter, we walked right in.

Banned

With the C4 Store expected to be open 24 hours, the item stock inventory should not be an issue (hopefully). The first thing I did at C3 was hit up the store and buy all of the items that we wanted. That way I knew I would get what was on my list for my wife and I. That will be our plan of action again for C4: hit up the store first & foremost and then not have to worry about it for the remainder of the Convention.

My suggestions:

1) There need to be separate lines for people who have already registered and those who still need to register and/or purchase their tickets. And I mean outside the building, not inside. I couldn't get there in time to pick up my badge on Wednesday night last year, but the people who did should not have had to wait in the same line as me.

2) Have KNOWLEDGABLE volunteers policing the lines CONTINUOUSLY throughout the morning to answer people's questions and to direct them to the correct line if they are in the wrong one.

3) Make Fan Club Thursday for FAN CLUB MEMBERS ONLY. None of this, "Each FC member can bring in 4 non-FC members." I know that penalizes families, but if I'm paying an extra $40 for the priveledge of getting in that day, I'm entitled to expect it to be at least a little less crowded than the other days.

4) Take preorders for high-demand, exclusive store merchandise so people know if they wait until Sunday or Monday to visit the store, they don't have to worry about not getting what they really want. That way, you won't have 10,000 people in line for the store 20 minutes after the doors open.

The autograph ticket preorder system OP used last year was FANTASTIC. I don't know if there is any way OP can improve upon the terrific way they ran the autograph area last year, but it was certainly one of the highlights of C3 for me, and one of the least stressful areas to deal with.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Go mbíodh an fhórsa leat

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mousedroid
    My suggestions:

1) There need to be separate lines for people who have already registered and those who still need to register and/or purchase their tickets. And I mean outside the building, not inside. I couldn't get there in time to pick up my badge on Wednesday night last year, but the people who did should not have had to wait in the same line as me.

2) Have KNOWLEDGABLE volunteers policing the lines CONTINUOUSLY throughout the morning to answer people's questions and to direct them to the correct line if they are in the wrong one.

3) Make Fan Club Thursday for FAN CLUB MEMBERS ONLY. None of this, "Each FC member can bring in 4 non-FC members." I know that penalizes families, but if I'm paying an extra $40 for the priveledge of getting in that day, I'm entitled to expect it to be at least a little less crowded than the other days.

4) Take preorders for high-demand, exclusive store merchandise so people know if they wait until Sunday or Monday to visit the store, they don't have to worry about not getting what they really want. That way, you won't have 10,000 people in line for the store 20 minutes after the doors open.

The autograph ticket preorder system OP used last year was FANTASTIC. I don't know if there is any way OP can improve upon the terrific way they ran the autograph area last year, but it was certainly one of the highlights of C3 for me, and one of the least stressful areas to deal with.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    All excellent suggestions Mouse, especially #4. That was one of the first things that came to mind when I was ordering my 4-day badges for C3. Why not let those people who will be attending for all 4 days in Indy pre-order stuff from the store right online? More ordering online = less time standing in line at the store. I figured that would be an added "perk" for buying a 4-day admission badge.

Hopefully some of everyone's suggestions here on this Forum reach the ears of GenCon and LFL before C4 arrives. What better way to improve a Star Wars convention than to listen to the concerns of all the FANS?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Justin

All excellent suggestions Mouse, especially #4. That was one of the first things that came to mind when I was ordering my 4-day badges for C3. Why not let those people who will be attending for all 4 days in Indy pre-order stuff from the store right online? More ordering online = less time standing in line at the store. I figured that would be an added "perk" for buying a 4-day admission badge.

Hopefully some of everyone's suggestions here on this Forum reach the ears of GenCon and LFL before C4 arrives. What better way to improve a Star Wars convention than to listen to the concerns of all the FANS?
    I like the idea of four or in this case five day pass owners getting access to an online store of sorts. that'd be cool.

or how about this-

at least send the exclusive figure to everyone who orders a five day pass in advnace, then they at least have the one item 90% of fans will want!

I've alerted Lucasfilm to this thread, hopefully they will be taking this input from real fans who have valid concerns, and using it in their planning stages for what I'm sure is going to be the best Celebration to date!
    Dustin Roberts
    Content Manager
    TheForce.net - Your Daily Dose Of Star Wars
    Rebelscum.com - Star Wars Collecting News
    R2D2Central.com - Chicks Dig The Dome!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin

I like the idea of four or in this case five day pass owners getting access to an online store of sorts. that'd be cool.

or how about this-

at least send the exclusive figure to everyone who orders a five day pass in advnace, then they at least have the one item 90% of fans will want!

I've alerted Lucasfilm to this thread, hopefully they will be taking this input from real fans who have valid concerns, and using it in their planning stages for what I'm sure is going to be the best Celebration to date!
    Cool, hopefully LFL gives these ideas some serious thought for C4 (and beyond). I agree - C4 is gonna be AMAZING.

I have a huge request to GenCon, I completly understand that almost 100% of all attendees from the regular paying fan, the dealers, the autographers, and the volunteers are all star wars fans. We all want a small piece of the event. I was so upset to see some of the things going on like people with "PRESS" laminates jumping lines all over the place-snap a picture-then grab up on any goodies. However, the worse ones I seen taking advantage of this was BRIANS TOYS!
    Everyone attending only wanted a chance at a gentle giant bust, or master replica saber, etc. But when I was the 3rd person in line outside the venders hall and at 9am was let in to only be behind the dozens of BRIANS TOYS workers literally buying up dozens and dozens of certain key collectors items everyday was furiating to witness.
    I walked by Brains booth and heard him tell an employee of his "Nice, this one makes number 35" as the worker handed him a sandtrooper mini bust. I was there all 4 days and didnt get my alloted "1" bust till sunday.
    The promoters need to work out something with this. If you are a vender in a hall then you shouldnt be allowed to take advantage of it and be a glutten hog with these items. I think it would be fair to offer the venders a chance to purchase their aloted 1 or 2 PER BOOTH- not worker.
    If their workers want to buy something in that hall, then they have to go outside the hall till opennig time and wait in line with the rest of the paying fans who deserve an EQUAL chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin

or how about this-

Thanks Dustin.

Good suggestions everyone...keep them coming!
    facebook.com/kswcc

http://oswcc.com/

Hi all,

The HIRE ENOUGH STAFF is the best comment and suggestion of them all. Period. Don;t be cheap, try to make more by paying less people. Cheapness will not get happy shoppers!

I would add have more than 10 lines, how about 50 lines, with 2 people at each register, one to pickup stuff and one to ring up. Also too many cooks in one place (register) spoil the broth (so 2 or 3), but have an ungodly amount of register tables, like 50 to 100! Also, follow Sideshow's model for pre-ordering and give a detailed itinerary before the event.

Enough said! Now pass this on to GenCon and LucasFilm, and
    whoever will be in charge of the fanclub then.

Also, allow for dry places to wait in lines for events or purchases. Don;t force people into lines outside, use the
    space wisely inside. Don't make people jump through hoops or stand in lines to avoid stampedes or problems; that psychology does NOT work. Crowd control by those means allows for an unsafe buildup of people in lines in case of
    emergency or fire, and personally dehumanizes people.

Thank you,

Bruce
    Quote Originally Posted by JustOneMore
    I went to Celebration III last year. I got in the "special" Star Wars Fan Club members only line to get into the building a half-hour before the doors opened. It took more than TWO HOURS for everyone in line ahead of me to go through the TWO entrance doors they had for the THOUSANDS of people in that line.

There was a similarly humongous line for the non fan club members.

By the time I got in they had closed the line to the store because there were already too many people in line. Same thing happened the next day. You had to essentially plan to get there early enough to be near the front of the line to get into the building, and then spend the rest of that day in line to get into the store.

Finally on the third day I was able to get into the store line (and only after ignoring a GenCon employee who said it was pointless getting in line because it was unlikely we were going to actually get into the store). Then it took SEVEN HOURS of standing (and sitting) in line to buy stuff from the official store. They had maybe 10 counter people serving thousands of people. As we were waiting there HOUR AFTER HOUR they announced the latest items they had just sold out of. By the time I got a chance to buy anything they were sold out of half of the items.

The whole thing was poorly planned and woefully understaffed and understocked.

The same gang will be running Celebration IV. You have been warned.

Suggestions? MORE ENTRANCE DOORS!!! Don't try to move thousands of people through TWO DOORS (with another two doors for the non fan club members).

BRING ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!!! and HIRE ENOUGH STAFF TO SELL IT!!!. Don't make people wait SEVEN HOURS to buy the few things you didn't run out of. They missed out on THOUSANDS of $$$$$$$$ in sales because they didn't bring enough merchandise. There were people willing to wait SEVEN HOURS standing in line to buy their stuff, AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO SELL!

This isn't rocket science.
    Never underestimate the power of the force -spoken by James Earl Jones for Dart Vader, courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast