Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast

Thread: Vintage customs thread

Quote Originally Posted by bilbofett View Post
    Wow That Leia slave girl vintage style figure looks fantastic a great job
    Quote Originally Posted by darth_stranger View Post
    Iím speechless......Absolutely fantastic sculpt!
    Thank you very much, gents! She will have a prominent place in my customs corner, for sure!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hi all, new to the forum, some fantastic work on here.

Last year I thought I'd have a go at a custom Bantha. I wanted to make this look like something Kenner would have released with the Dewback. Even in the vintage line there is a progression in sculpting and paint apps between Star Wars and Jedi, so I wanted this to look like something from 1978. To be honest I think they would have just left the Bantha lips the same colour as the fur, but I couldn't resist painting them. I also wanted it to look like a proper toy and not a model. The legs still move about half an inch!

This is sculpted over a PotF2 Bantha. I shortened the legs as I don't think Kenner would have made one as big as the PotF2 version.
    I also resculpted the saddle slightly.

Painted using Model Master acrylics. A couple of varnishes, one satin and a diluted matte.

I might work on a custom box next. Hopefully with the Retro figures coming out we might one day get an official version.
    Last edited by Dantooine; 07-25-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantooine View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum, some fantastic work on here.

Last year I thought I'd have a go at a custom Bantha. I wanted to make this look like something Kenner would have released with the Dewback. Even in the vintage line there is a progression in sculpting and paint apps between Star Wars and Jedi, so I wanted this to look like something from 1978. To be honest I think they would have just left the Bantha lips the same colour as the fur, but I couldn't resist painting them. I also wanted it to look like a proper toy and not a model. The legs still move about half an inch!

That is fantastic! You've done a great job. Totally looks like what i would expect a 1978 Kenner Bantha to look like.

I also really like your shaved bantha picture. Something about it made me chuckle lolol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

wow, good job, love the Bantha and the rounded edge pictures make it look like 1978.

What material did you use for the sculpt?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    What material did you use for the sculpt?
    I used milliput. Not sure if that was the best option but I had loads of it at hand. I must admit it took a while and turned into a bit of an ongoing project.
    I was looking at the sculpting on the Dewback and 12" Chewbacca and the fur is very good, way beyond my abilities.
    Also, as a side note, I think taking photos of old toys is the best way for me as an adult to actually play with them. I mean, when you're a kid its what you do, but as an adult its ridiculous.
    Taking photos is a good excuse! Had it on display for a bit, its now hidden away in a cupboard.

I've finished a cantina alien, working on a wolfman, and maybe a Tarkin next. Even though the Retro figure is coming out, I'm not too sold on it.
    Last edited by Dantooine; 07-26-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Amazing! It looks totally at home among the other vintage toys. Very inspiring, I may have to eventually give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantooine View Post
    I used milliput. Not sure if that was the best option but I had loads of it at hand. I must admit it took a while and turned into a bit of an ongoing project.
    I was looking at the sculpting on the Dewback and 12" Chewbacca and the fur is very good, way beyond my abilities.
    Also, as a side not, I think taking photos of old toys is the best way for me as an adult to actually play with them. I mean, when you're a kid its what you do, but as an adult its ridiculous.
    Taking photos is a good excuse! Had it on display for a bit, its now hidden away in a cupboard.

I've finished a cantina alien, working on a wolfman, and maybe a Tarkin next. Even though the Retro figure is coming out, I'm not too sold on it.

I wasnt either. Still am not heres my tarkin... i still want to repaint and i cant figure out why all my photos are sideways....

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    I wasnt either. Still am not heres my tarkin... i still want to repaint and i cant figure out why all my photos are sideways....
    Is that the first PotF2 head sculpt? That's what I was thinking of using. Looks nice. Good call on the colour as in some photos/ shots his uniform is more olive green.
    Last edited by Dantooine; 07-26-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Great job! I felt the same way.....here is mine from a few years back. So awesome ....don’t know why they never made one or anything new?
    continuing the vintage dream......one custom at a time!

Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast