Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke's blue lightsaber in Return of the Jedi

Luke\'s blue lightsaber in Return of the Jedi

I just watched Star Wars OT DVD and noticed that in one of the T.V spots for ROTJ Luke had a blue lightsaber was this changed or what?

Re: Luke\'s blue lightsaber in Return of the Jedi

TV spots are often made long before the final edit of the theatrical release of the movie (duh). My guess is that it wasn't yet decided that Luke would have a green bladed lightsaber.
    There's also an early TV spot for Star Wars (or ANH if you will) on the DVD that show Obi-Wan activating a white bladed lightsaber. It's said in the documentary 'Empire of dreams' that in 1976 there were no finished special FX, but an early test shot of Obi-Wan activating his saber. It looks like he's pushing out a white stick through the handle.
    <font color="green">I've got OTOCD.
    (OriginalTrilogyObsessiveCompulsiveDisorder)
    </font>
    Visit sanoj @ MySpace and listen to some great music!

If I remember right, Luke was supposed to have a blue blade in ROTJ, but once the post-production crew saw the blue blade against the blue Tunisian (Tatooine) sky during the scuffle at the Sarlacc Pit, Lucas and company decided to change the lightsaber blade to green so it contrasted better against the sky.

Remember too, the original theatrical poster for ROTJ with the large lightsaber and hands holding it aloft, the lightsaber is blue there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VaderG60
    If I remember right, Luke was supposed to have a blue blade in ROTJ, but once the post-production crew saw the blue blade against the blue Tunisian (Tatooine) sky during the scuffle at the Sarlacc Pit, Lucas and company decided to change the lightsaber blade to green so it contrasted better against the sky.

Remember too, the original theatrical poster for ROTJ with the large lightsaber and hands holding it aloft, the lightsaber is blue there as well.
    I've never heard about that, but it is pretty interesting. Personally I am glad they changed the color to green. I like the green color better than blue.
    He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.

That's the main reason but Lucas and co. were afraid of people asking, "How did Luke get his blue saber back?"

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear13
    That's the main reason but Lucas and co. were afraid of people asking, "How did Luke get his blue saber back?"
    I liked the green LS because to me it signified that Luke could still go either way, whether unintentional or not. At this point, we had only seen Jedi with blue lightsabers.
    It's not that I like the DVD changes. I hate them! But there's nothing I can do about it right
    now. It's such a good deal right now.

Yup, I've heard the same thing from numerous sources. I also agree that green is a way better color.

Phil

Anyone think that this is why the Vinty Jedi Luke figure came blue-sabered, much like the new ROTS #35 Palpatine?
    "I got this! I'm gonna hit him with the 'ex-wife'!" "What?" ('ex-wife fails) "Hammer tech?" "Yeah".Need Han from Shield Gen Asslt BP!

Sure. Kenner only had early production shots and drawings to go by. Happens a lot.

I love the old POTF2 long saber/short saber thing. They went from a saber that was too long to one that was too short.
    It's not that I like the DVD changes. I hate them! But there's nothing I can do about it right
    now. It's such a good deal right now.

Quote Originally Posted by matkatnadam
    Anyone think that this is why the Vinty Jedi Luke figure came blue-sabered, much like the new ROTS #35 Palpatine?
    This got me thinking, why did the vintage ANH Luke figure ever come with a YELLOW telescoping lightsaber? I don't ever recall hearing or seeing anything about him weilding a yellow lightsaber in production paintings, etc. I don't think I ever heard a definitive answer on this one.

And let's not forget about Ben's yellow lightsaber on his figure's cardback either, even though old Ben was given a blue telescoping lightsaber.

My head hurts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast