Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What finds have you missed out on?

Re: What finds have you missed out on?

Toy Shop used to be the "Sunday paper" to me in college. I would read the articles and browse the sw for sale. I remember POTF figures under $10, twelve backs under $100 and a 21 back fett being sold at $150.00. Just incredible deals back in the day.

The only "find" I would have to be on the receiving end of are the POTF coin prototypes. I just love the hardcopy, softcopy and other pieces. The ones I would love to have will probably never see the light of day....

Jason West

Uttini
    "THE **** DADDY JAWA BOUNTY HUNTER".

Wanted: Jawas of any kind.
    Check out My Page and Collection Pics
    Jason West
    Founder and Curator: MADBROWNZ
    Celebration VI Blog: http://cvimadbrownz.blogspot.com/

•    

I remember a Star Trek convention in Mobile, AL in '92. Some of the vendors had decent carded vintage until I came upon a POTF Anakin and Yak Face. The dealer wanted $175 apiece. But I was young and broke back then. C'est la vie!
    Who knows? In a thousand years even you may be worth something. - Belloq

Quote Originally Posted by michael_mensinger
    I think any Kenner store display collector will agree and kick themselves for missing the infamous "Vegas Auction" that featured scads of coveted Star Wars store displays. Folks who aren't familiar with this killer event can read about it at the following link:

1993 Vegas Auction

-Mike
    Mike

I've always wondered what the prices were on these pieces. Does anyone know this? I bet they werent a steal but could be wrong.

Early 80's I had an adult neighbor who had collected all the Star Wars vehicles and playsets and kept them sealed. He later had a garage sale for them (I think he was selling them at cost). My parents took me and my brother over there and said I could pick out any one item. For some reason I picked Vader's TIE Fighter over the Death Star Playset and who knows what else he had. My brother got the white TIE Fighter. And of course we opened and played with them.

Chris, that's a great question regarding the prices at the Vegas auction. Sadly, I'm not sure what the answer to that question is! :^( Todd would definitely be able to help out with that bit of information though.

-Mike
    Buying vintage prototypes, snowtrooper rarities, & Kenner employee memorabilia

Yep, good old memories when items were cheap whether they were rare or common.

Maybe in 3-4 years, the same discussion will take place here about the same price increase and missed opportunities...

Or, maybe we'll have the same kind of discussion with prices back to what they were in the early 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Garvey
    I think the photo speaks for itself:
    A dream denied

I should point out that the Vader micro wax is most definitely NOT produced. That's the Vader from the unproduced Dagobah environment, and Those Star Tots are like my grail pieces.
    *SIGH* I was collecting then too. So close, yet so far.

There are just too many fantastic items there to mention them all. I wish I had a time machine.

Tommy
    This is OT, but that Vader actually differs from the Dagobabh hardcopies that are known. It lacks the terrain-like base details, and one of the arms is in a different position.

Could be an alternate. It could also be the Vader that was intended for the Death Star II module. Either way, a Vader in that pose was never produced.

ron
    Ron Salvatore (rsalvatore11@hvc.rr.com)
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!

This is going to seem silly, but lately the deal I've regretted missing out on doesn't concern Star Wars at all.

I was in touch with a former Kenner employee several years back, and I bought a decent amount of SW stuff from him. But he also had something else that caught my eye, namely two or three Blythe dolls in their original packaging. I've always liked Blythe, but I never got around to asking him about those dolls.

Anyway, I never acquired them, and today Blythe dolls are worth about 1 billion dollars each, and I'll probably never have a boxed one. Boo hoo.

As far as SW goes, there haven't been a lot of big deals that I've missed out on over the years that I truly regret. The morgue stuff included some interesting display items, which ended up in other hands, either because I didn't have a shot at them or they were priced out of my range. And prototype things routinely come up that I miss out on. But I don't agonize over those things much.

Of course, I was also around when that Toy Shop ad for sculpts was published, and for awhile I kicked myself for not following up on that. But look at the prices in that ad--even though it was published many years ago, they still don't seem cheap. No one bought anything in that sale, because the prices were too high. But at least one smart guy called and managed to buy things at below the quoted prices. I guess I regret not being as proactive as he was.

I ended up with at least one thing from that ad anyway. That Leia Hoth is in my colletion now :^)
    ron
    Ron Salvatore (rsalvatore11@hvc.rr.com)
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive
    www.theswca.com
    NAGAMAROO!

Quote Originally Posted by ronsalvatore
    Of course, I was also around when that Toy Shop ad for sculpts was published, and for awhile I kicked myself for not following up on that. But look at the prices in that ad--even though it was published many years ago, they still don't seem cheap. No one bought anything in that sale, because the prices were too high. But at least one smart guy called and managed to buy things at below the quoted prices. I guess I regret not being as proactive as he was. ron
    I remember seeing that one, too. Here's the link to the other page of the auction.

Anyone know where the unproduced Luke/Yoda Dagobah wound up? I thought then that the prices were a bit high, and with the exception of the Fett, Vader and Han carbonite I still don't think I'd be willing to shell out that kind of scratch.

Too bad we didn't have any Maxfield Parrish paintings to barter with ; ^)

You know, Rob Amantea used to carry that ad around in his pocket : ^) I'm sure Ron will remember this one. We were on a road trip to Cincinnati several years ago and had stopped at some god-awful truck stop somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania at like 3am to grab some food. We started talking about "prototype finds" and someone brought up "that auction in an old Toy Shop that featured micro sculpts." Heh...Rob Amantea pulled the ad out of his pocket, unfolded it and said "This ad?"

Quote Originally Posted by ronsalvatore
    I ended up with at least one thing from that ad anyway. That Leia Hoth is in my colletion now :^)
    And thanks to you, Ron, I too have a piece from that auction- the 1:1 resin squeezing of the micro Rebel soldier!

I'm still looking for the 4up paint master of the same figure from that Earth find ; ^)

Rob
    Looking to buy a "Collect all 32" and "Collect all 21" (with Fett offer) bell header.

something we all missed out on: uzay loose uncomplete head man on german ebay. It went for 25 euro or so.Noone saw it cause auction title was "gold helmet"
    man, there are so many things I didnt buy. Years ago there was a guy with a full box of uhu ewok cards. He asked for 25 euro each.I didnt buy a single one.I didnt buy a loose bluestars with weapon on my first collectible show 10 years ago cause he asked for 50 euro. I sold a spanish rebel soldier with "contra ataque-or so" logo moc for 25 euro and so on and so on...Sometimes u loose sometimes u win, in the end its just about fun I think...

My Feedback

Holy Grail

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast