Thread: Display Case Help?

Display Case Help?

Hello, it has been years since I've lurked around here and maybe there's a thread I just couldn't find addressing this, but I recently made the move from Portland (OR) to the Las Vegas area and during the move, besides breaking just about all of my furniture, the moving company also managed to destroy my Boba Fett blaster case (just the case, not the base of it) and my Darth Vader helmet case, base and plexiglass. I think I got that Vader helmet case from Rebelscum actually back in the day, at least it seems to indicate that on the bottom. Now, I'm just so bummed, I'm not sure what to do about these broken cases. What are my options? Are there any custom acrylic companies that can duplicate the case close enough or are there aftermarket cases or even cases that are "close enough" just to protect the pieces, I guess?

I'm so bummed out because I haven't had some of this stuff on display in a very long time, many years even a decade plus, but with a larger house I have some space to display the stuff without it taking over the entire place. I was all excited to start placing the stuff, but literally the first two big boxes I opened of my collection were these broken cases. Beyond bummed about it. Just seeking any advice at all. It's worth the money to me to try to replace the cases if possible. I'm trying to remind myself the cases are there to protect the collectible and my collectibles are intact and in perfect shape, which is good, but... to me it has always felt like the case is part of the collectible. I think in the Vader helmet example, that case was after market so it doesn't affect the value of my collectible, but I had such a beautiful case from right here that I just loved.

Thanks guys, for any help, and may the Force be with you!
    Author of two Star Wars non-fiction books, Anticipation and Revenge.

Here in CA, there's a local plastics store called TAP Plastics. I had them fabricate acrylic covers for my MR Falcon and eFX TIE. I don't believe they have any stores in NV, but my suggestion is to google local plastic stores around you. If you do find one, make sure to bring the base with you so they can measure it for the opening. You only need to provide the height you would like and whether you would like heat bends or not. I did, so it would match the original MR covers. Good luck!

I've had great experiences with:
    https://www.casesforcollectibles.com/

Just give them the dimensions you need and they ship fast and pack well.

Thank you guys! I did find a local plastics store, the e-mail I got back was kind of... well, English as a second language, so I'm not sure I understood exactly what was being said, but I was thinking I could bring both pieces that are broken to their shop and they could take measurements even, perhaps. I just need to figure out pricing through them or whether something like casesforcollectibles would be better. I found a few other custom acrylics shops online, but some of them appear to do various set sizes or have "contact us" for custom sizes, so I'll dig more into it. Thanks so much! I'm really hopeful I can get back what I had, basically haha.
    Author of two Star Wars non-fiction books, Anticipation and Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
    Thank you guys! I did find a local plastics store, the e-mail I got back was kind of... well, English as a second language, so I'm not sure I understood exactly what was being said, but I was thinking I could bring both pieces that are broken to their shop and they could take measurements even, perhaps. I just need to figure out pricing through them or whether something like casesforcollectibles would be better. I found a few other custom acrylics shops online, but some of them appear to do various set sizes or have "contact us" for custom sizes, so I'll dig more into it. Thanks so much! I'm really hopeful I can get back what I had, basically haha.
    Please keep us updated on your progress for cases, I have many MR & eFX props without any cases and would like to consider ordering some!

Something to consider when deciding between local and online. If something is wrong with it, you'd be able to handle it easier with a local shop than an online retailer. Shipping covers can be a hassle due to their fragile nature. The last time I got covers made by Tap Plastics, they screwed up and made them a millimeter or two too small. I made the mistake of not bringing my bases with me when picking them up to check. I brought them when picking up the remade ones and made sure they fit before I went home.

Try Saber Display Solutions on Facebook. Efren makes excellent quality covers! I've used him twice and have not been disappointed. He is based out of So .Cal.