Thread: Star Wars engineering pilot

Star Wars engineering pilot

As you know I picked up a bunch of Star Wars from an estate sale which was a personal friend of a Kenner employee I decided to search through the lot again and I come across these which I believe to be engineering pilots looking for any thoughts or how I can confirm that and as for the princess Leia it looks like sheís got a short leg and a unformed foot any thoughts on that would like to maybe send these off to afa also thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EP often have markings on the bottom of the feet. However lots of kids and parents used to write things there too (like in Toy Story) but given the provanance and the fact that you found some first shots in the set already. it's very possible these are engineering pilots. I would also check for figures with interesting scratch patterns.

It might be worth reaching out to Tom D to ask him. I'm not sure if they'd be able to prove it...

They look like regular played with production figures to me. They may have been engineering pilots at one point, but because engineering pilots are pretty much production figures with marking on them, provenance is the only way to get them authenticated. Without solid documentation, CIB can’t/won’t authenticate them. The nice thing about first shots is that they can easily be authenticated by the absence of the COO. Hope that helps!
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

Thank you both for the response yes Iím going to run into a roadblock on getting the Providence on them I reached out to the estate sale and they really donít want to bother the owner with that question the only other way I can do it is mail him a letter but as estate sale said that they think itís invasion of privacy so I have a decision to make if I sent him a letter or not and Iím not sure if a written statement from him with the persons name if it matches the initials would be good enough and the only reason why Iím Diggin this far into it is because like yíall said I did find first shots from here and the story was that he was a sales representative and traveled all over to sell the figures to the stores if it wasnít for the first shots being found I would pass it off as just kids initials I do have other people in other places responding to my question and immediately passing it off as kids initials to me thatís how things this important get lost and never uncovered thank you again for the response

Quote Originally Posted by Blastercheech View Post
    Thank you both for the response yes Iím going to run into a roadblock on getting the Providence on them I reached out to the estate sale and they really donít want to bother the owner with that question the only other way I can do it is mail him a letter but as estate sale said that they think itís invasion of privacy so I have a decision to make if I sent him a letter or not and Iím not sure if a written statement from him with the persons name if it matches the initials would be good enough and the only reason why Iím Diggin this far into it is because like yíall said I did find first shots from here and the story was that he was a sales representative and traveled all over to sell the figures to the stores if it wasnít for the first shots being found I would pass it off as just kids initials I do have other people in other places responding to my question and immediately passing it off as kids initials to me thatís how things this important get lost and never uncovered thank you again for the response

The other issue with contacting the original owner is, you are letting him or her know they gave up a treasure hoard. Did they understand the values of what they gave up prior to your purchase?
    Last edited by toyman941; 09-22-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    The other issue with contacting the original owner is, you are letting him or her know they gave up a treasure hoard. Did they understand the values of what they gave up prior to your purchase?
    No I do not believe so I didnít even know the value until after I got home and started researching them on some of the items like the diecast tie bomber and a blue snaggletooth they knew the value but on all the 67 or so figures they didnít bother to research this far they just put a ballpark value on them

Quote Originally Posted by Blastercheech View Post
    No I do not believe so I didn’t even know the value until after I got home and started researching them on some of the items like the diecast tie bomber and a blue snaggletooth they knew the value but on all the 67 or so figures they didn’t bother to research this far they just put a ballpark value on them

Part of me says leave it alone. The other part says preserve the history if they are EPs . I'm guessing you paid a little over what the blue snaggletooth was worth. The seller didn't know the values on the first shots. There has to be another way of finding out what you really have. I would probably try to find out for sure.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    Part of me says leave it alone. The other part says preserve the history if they are EPs . I'm guessing you paid a little over what the blue snaggletooth was worth. The seller didn't know the values on the first shots. There has to be another way of finding out what you really have. I would probably try to find out for sure.
    Yes I feel the same way part says send him a letter and the other part says donít do it I paid roughly 900 for all they looked up everything but as in for myself did not know first shot existed so I wouldnít think they would either and myself just about passed him off as nothing and was going to resell the whole lot as it was I just happened to find out by doing research when I noticed there was no markings on the back of the legs and at first the only thing that popped up was no COO it took me about a week I would say and asking on here and other places before I actually found out and Iím still researching I believe I found a Darth Vader Lili Ledy to and a short shot princess Leia so if I decide to send him a letter I just got to figure out how to write it to be as polite as possible iím going to try to call Tom D Monday and see what he suggest if I can contact him I know no other way to do this and I would hate to see them be lost

This site has been dedicated to the preservation of the hobby. If these are real, they need to be preserved. I'm sure you will find the answers. Good luck on this.

I would. We are like the Indiana Jones of pop culture. If you document and preserve them now, future owners will have information impossible to obtain. Just be polite about it and don't mention things like monetary gain. Ask because you have a genuine interest, which we all do.