Thread: Was Empire reveal spoiled by novelization?

Was Empire reveal spoiled by novelization?

Obviously pre-internet times would have helped conceal the big reveal in Empire Strikes Back more in 1980 than it would nowadays, but does anyone here remember reading the book before the film was released or hearing about it in advance?

I remember buying the book. It was the first time I went to Safeway with my own money. I bought a pack of Snoopy colouring pencils and the TESB novelisation.

I also remember not reading it so no , the end wasn't revealed to me. I waived my rights to a spoiler free movie when it came to ROTJ though, so I knew about Yoda's death and Luke's relationship to Leia.

As a self-punishment I wouldn't let myself see the movie until I'd finished the book, and I was so PO'd that I ruined the movie by reading the book that I stopped reading it. I ended up seeing ROTJ a month after it came out and it remains the only SW movie I haven't seen in the opening week. We then moved to the UK where it hadn't been released and I got offered a ticket to see it on opening night but I decided that was a cop-out and wouldn't count. I was dumb back then.

FWIW I still have that copy of the TESB novelisation. And the Snoopy colouring pencils were rubbish. I don't have those anymore.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 09-17-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    LEGO Star Wars content manager - Rebelscum
    LEGO Star Wars forum administrator - Rebelscum
    RLFM Representative - LEGO Ambassador Network

Biggest Twist in Film History

Quote Originally Posted by ZevSenesca View Post
    Obviously pre-internet times would have helped conceal the big reveal in Empire Strikes Back more in 1980 than it would nowadays, but does anyone here remember reading the book before the film was released or hearing about it in advance?
    I was a teen at the time and sat through 2 viewings of STAR TREK The Motion Picture just to see the Empire trailer. I was never more excited for a movie, I would draw and paint characters and scenes from the film, and discuss Empire with all of my friends. An older friend of mine had purchased the novelization of Empire and read it. The next time he saw me he asked with evil enthusiasm "So...How do you feel about Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's father?" As if I knew anything about it. I remember feeling very odd after he told me, and I didn't really believe him. It was a crappy thing to do to a friend, lol. (I still loved the movie but I knew what to expect at the important part)
    Its interesting that the Vader father part was so important to George Lucas that David Prowse was given phony lines to say so the big secret wouldn't get out, but then have it disclosed by a book before the films release.
    Last edited by HothLowlander; 09-18-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HothLowlander View Post
    Its interesting that the Vader father part was so important to George Lucas that David Prowse was given phony lines to say so the big secret wouldn't get out, but then have it disclosed by a book before the films release.
    That's what boggles my mind! And then I'm even more confused now as I just stumbled on this article: https://www.slashfilm.com/david-prow...years-release/

It is pretty obvious from early drafts and what we see in the movies that George did not originally envision the Skywalker family relationship.
    Vader was just a henchman in the first film. Prowse made a guess during that interview and I doubt that Lucas had cemented the lineage at the time he said it.
    The movie, I am your Father talks about this. I'm sure it has also been talked about in other places.

For as much as everything is so guarded today, even when TPM came out, the novel was released weeks ahead of time. Even though I bought it right away, I refused to read it until after I'd seen th movie. But Maul's & Qui-Gon's respective deaths were spoiled for anyone who chose to read it (or in Qui-Gon's case, read the back of the CD case. I still can't believe they allowed THAT one to even be listed as the title of the musical segment!).