Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about AFA and PSA issues

I will say loose figures in the acrylic boxes display so well!!!!

I was never in favor of grading due to the fact I like to touch and inspect my item (I prefer Ian Displays cases due to being able to open).

I agree Toyman using them for authentication makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by roulettemonster View Post
    Hello everyone please take some time to read. I don't post much but have been an active collector for the past 25 plus years. I Know some folks don't care for AFA and I'm that category as well but I'm curious to what the thoughts are on am issue happening in the baseball card world, which I am active in as well.

Recently PSA, which is the equivalent to AFA has been investigated by the FBI for a serious issue with card grading. Such as cards being trimmed and favorable grades for big time sellers who submit X amount of cards to them.

I personally have experienced this situation with AFA as I sent a 21 back boba Fett in to be graded with a dinged bubble. It was sent with some folks I knew. I received the Fett back and was surprised it received a much higher grade than I expected. When I told the guys who I bought this from and who mailed it for me they had said they had a friend there who takes care of them. I left it at that

At any rate does anyone have any concern that afa pieces will start going down the route of PSA. PSA is having
    major issues now and if it closes it's doors it will have a tremendous impact on the card market. Personally I have no doubt that if anyone had a friend or family member at afa that they would give them a higher grade. And for what stuff is selling for now I really don't trust it very much

Very interesting reading about PSA and baseball cards Jon!

This situation with preferential grading has been called out before and also very recently with UKG. Although many suspect it's an issue with all 3 grading companies.

Are you able to show pictures of the 21 back Fett before and after grading? And can you tell us who is suppossedly getting this preferential treatment? If your confident in what you are saying I think it should be called out.
    Last edited by olisuds; 09-17-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Unfortunately grading can fall under interpretation. I'm sure they may have some guidelines but it's a still a matter of opinion.

I'm guessing this will never change, however, if they did away with a number grade and only authenticated the piece as legitimate, I wouldn't think most collectors would take issue on this.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I read the linked article and don't see anything in it that claims PSA was in on it. It appears the alleged perpetrators buy low to mid grade cards, restore them in ways that aren't detected by the grading companies and resubmit for a higher grade. That's bad for PSA that it can't detect the restoration but I don't know if that means they are in on it. We've seen similar things with comics where pressing books and even replacing staples was once considered taboo and are now not considered restoration! there are comic collectors who have been tracking similar auctions where people buy low grade comics get them pressed and regraded and sell for a lot more. (CGC will even do the pressing for you! )

Of course there is fraud in the grading companies. Does anyone on the planet think they are god like saints that do no wrong! I’ve seen employees in one of the grading companies come into local comic stores and big comic shows and buy items for themselves to grade and personally sell. That should never go on, but I can guarantee that kind of behavior is going on at all grading companies. Some hide it which of course is easy to do if you work there. Others are just bold scumbags that do it out in the open.
    Last edited by DarthMickeyMoose; 09-18-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Yikes. Makes me glad I open my toys instead of worrying about getting a dent in the cardboard packaging.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMickeyMoose View Post
    I’ve seen employees in one of the grading companies come into local comic stores and big comic shows and buy items for themselves to grade and personally sell.

Yeah? Which grading company? This sounds like another one of your whoppers. I'm adding it to the list.
    "enjoy your day placing vlixes in your mouth"

Who owns Collectible Investment Brokerage on eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
    Yeah? Which grading company? This sounds like another one of your whoppers. I'm adding it to the list.
    I don’t answer to scumbags or thieves and your trying to cover for them tells me what I already know.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMickeyMoose View Post
    I don’t answer to scumbags or thieves and your trying to cover for them tells me what I already know.
    Why not just answer the question? And really, how in the world would I be trying to cover for them if I'm asking you to be more specific in calling them out?

Answer the question.
    Last edited by Sharp; 09-28-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    "enjoy your day placing vlixes in your mouth"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12