Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 PGM Gift: Ponda Baba/ Walrus Man

2019 PGM Gift: Ponda Baba/ Walrus Man

Concept sketch of the PGM Ponda Baba/ Walrus Man Mini Bust gift. More art and photos in the days ahead!

What do you folks think?
    Last edited by LightSword; 09-15-2019 at 02:35 AM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

A face structural design, which differs from the original look of the character. I'm not sure how to feel about it because I'm really not seeing Ponda Baba's face there. Also, the Tarkin-pointing-the-finger pose given to the mini bust ...hmm. I doubt there will be a removable limb if using that pose, as he would look quite funny missing the arm with the blaster while pointing with his index finger with the other, as in: "Hey! You cut off my arm" ... unless the arms we are seeing can be detached, and there's a second pair of arms to change the pose? He also appears to be a bit on the heavy side and the head's too small. I think there's room for improvement, but what do I know, right? I selected him as my gift, nonetheless, as I want the character in my collection.
    Last edited by LightSword; 09-15-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

Are the gifts having a theme now, this year's being pointy fingers.

I really wanted this as my gift but I my initial reaction was WTF, i don't like personally but don't like pointy finger clenched fist Tarkin either.

Quote Originally Posted by The_kessel_run View Post
    Are the gifts having a theme now, this year's being pointy fingers.

I really wanted this as my gift but I my initial reaction was WTF, i don't like personally but don't like pointy finger clenched fist Tarkin either.
    Haha! Yeah. It's a finger fetish. Just wait until they start using the middle one! LOL. Hopefully they will rework the sculpt. He needs to be a little more slender, his beard shouldn't flare out so much, the top of his head should not be so high up, also the overall size of the head needs to be a little bigger, and that pointy finger should be changed for a different arm pose. But if it is at all like "Pointy Tarkin", Walrus Man will stay the same. LOL
    Last edited by LightSword; 09-15-2019 at 06:44 AM.

In one respect I like that they are going with different poses and not just the hands behind the back pose but this feels like they are trying to hard. Tarkin should be as your mock up, pointy finger and other behind the back, the fist just spoils what would be a great bust.

I agree. I also like a variety of poses to break away from the monotony of certain ones that have been used often. But I want poses that would make a little more sense and be a little more representative of the character. They don't always have to be too action-like and be nice if he would resemble the character more. Tarkin is not represented right with that clenched fist, but as I've read the clenched fist is a done deal. Ponda Baba was never pointing a finger at anyone in the Cantina, so. Maybe the clenched fist could look better on the Walrus.

* I'll mock up Ponda Baba a little as far as measurements, the way I see it. I'll leave it with the straight brow line which is a bit weird, and to me, I'm not really seeing the character but just any Aqualish-type. I won't change the pointy finger either. We tried with Tarkin and no one listened.

Edit:

Last edited by LightSword; 09-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Overall it's fine but there goes the flipper hands option. I don't know why GG (new & old) have to have both arms doing something. I guess they want to put as much as possible into each sculpt but that ignores the "less is more" end result. If anything it gives them dual personalities and a silly look like the first Emperor and the new Tarkin. This Walrusman looks menacing enough and in character so it will look great on display.
    "I'm such a hardcore OT purist, I hate the title "A New Hope" being added!"
    My Feedback

What's with that straight brow line?!? Way off!

As a reminder, this is what Baba looks like:

The statue was a way better representation of the character.

Let's hope that concept art gets changed. BTW, where did the image come from?
    Last edited by BenObi_70; 09-15-2019 at 10:47 AM.

GG posted the pics on their FB page

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think DST need to get you to do the designs Lightsword, I hope they sort his face out

Will be going with Ponda Baba as I have the first Tarkin and really wanted this, I'm hoping he will grow on me with time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast