Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 PGM Gift: Ponda Baba/ Walrus Man

Quote Originally Posted by BenObi_70 View Post
    What's with that straight brow line?!? Way off!

As a reminder, this is what Baba looks like:

The statue was a way better representation of the character.

Let's hope that concept art gets changed. BTW, where did the image come from?
    Wow, now that you show that photo it is more than a bit off, that's a complete redesign of the character's facial structure!
    He's no good to me dead!

The straight brow line needs to be changed. The bony cups surrounding the eyes area should be somewhat arched on their upper side. The way it is right now looks too much like scuba diving goggles. The size of the head also changes the whole perspective, so it should be bigger. Just like Ben pointed out, the statue is a great example of how Walrus Man should look.

* Just for brow line shape and other structural aspects comparison.,,

- This is the original mask of the character created by Stuart Freeborn and worn by Tommy Ilsley for the filming, now being displayed at the Star Wars Identities Exhibition ....

- This is from the film ..

- This is the face of the statue

- Concept sketch

Last edited by LightSword; 09-15-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

I just wonder how that happens. Was the concept artist working from memory without any reference photos? It almost looks like he's wearing Commander Cody's visor.
    Last edited by BenObi_70; 09-15-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Could have been his/her own interpretation of the character from memory. Usually when you are creating something of this sort, and for anything else for that matter, if you want to come up with an accurate design, one should familiarize with the original design of the object and or look of a person/animal and have as much reference around as possible. I'm almost certain they'll rework his look, and this was pretty much something to let the customer know "hey look, we are working on it" They've said more artwork will show up in the days ahead, thus we'll see if any changes are applied.
    Last edited by LightSword; 09-15-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

I’m confused. Those hands are all wrong, and why is he pointing when in the movie he didn’t even have fingers unless they were hidden in those fin / nub things where his hands go.

Last edited by Kneel_Before_Zod; 09-15-2019 at 06:03 PM.

To be honest, when my eyes see this :

... my brain registers it as this:

* All this being said, personally I rather walk before I run, and don't want to assume he will stay this way. I think there is more to this and even the possibility of two different looks for the arms. Let's give it a few days and wait for those promised images.
    Last edited by LightSword; 09-16-2019 at 02:04 AM.

This is honestly disappointing.
    PSN: BloodOps
    "I used to believe that being a good soldier meant doing everything they told you. That's how they engineered us. But we're not droids. We're not programmed. You have to learn to make your own decisions. "

Quote Originally Posted by Kneel_Before_Zod View Post
    I’m confused. Those hands are all wrong, and why is he pointing when in the movie he didn’t even have fingers unless they were hidden in those fin / nub things where his hands go.

There's a continuity error in ANH...Baba has fin hands when attached but when Ben slices his arm off and we see the close up of the severed arm, it's a furry five digit hand. That's why they included two sets of hands for the statue.

Pretty disappointed in the pose (same with Tarkin). I own the Cantina statue of Ponda which is far superior to this (also, why no more Cantina statues?) Honestly, GG are going in a direction that I'm not a fan of.

so, all in all. Underwhelmed with Ponda and Tarkin minibusts and the 1/7 scale of the Poncho Trooper. Wish there was an option where I didn't have to choose any of these items and just get my money back! Sadly, I'll have to do something that I've never done in all my years of collecting. Picking the most sellable item so I can sell it to get some of my money back on my platinum membership.

The only consolation is that this is my last PGM.
    Last edited by DarthWenger; 09-16-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenObi_70 View Post
    There's a continuity error in ANH...Baba has fin hands when attached but when Ben slices his arm off and we see the close up of the severed arm, it's a furry five digit hand. That's why they included two sets of hands for the statue.
    Huh.. never realized that. All these years later and I'm still learning something new...I prefer the weird mitts, the fingers look dumb and that's how I've always remembered him.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast