Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mara Jade Disney plus

Mara Jade Disney plus

Rumor are running that Disney Plus will be developing a show Based on Mara Jade. Here is hoping a good young Luke gets cast down the line.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/luca...v-show-disney/
    This post was written is the sarcasm font. It looks like a regular font but contains sarcasm.
    Feedback BST
    I love this Bar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3_zzZQzx0

If they go this route then I hope she and Luke hook up. It would be a travesty of justice if they didn't.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Honestly, after what happened to Luke in Last Jedi, I don't know if Mara can be done justice anymore. Truth is, since it will have to adhere to the new canon, sure you could have a post ROTJ but pre ST Luke meet and fall in love with Mara. Sure you could have her train at his new temple. Yet surely you'd have to kill her off when Ben Solo went nuts and destroyed said temple and I just feel like something that major, Luke's love interest being killed, should NOT be told only OUTSIDE of the films. That is something too integral to Luke Skywalker to leave out of the film installments. Now technically, I supposed they could mention/flashback to her in TROS to set up this show, but I'm more so leaning on that they'll just completely reinvent the character of Mara and do little to no nods to her classic legends lore. In which case, I don't even know if I'd want this show then. I'd much rather a 6 part adaptation of Shadows of the Empire, something that...so far as I know...can be almost directly translated as (I think) it doesn't interfere with modern cannon.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Anything to do with Luke means a recast. So **** that.

TBH, I can't see it doing that well, considering. My thought is why though, why base a series on Mara if they truly want to start anew with their own characters? So that they can just reinvent Mara in their own vision and likely ruin the character with unnecessary changes. Also, this would mean another story set circa OT. Meaning she's running around interacting with Emperor Palps and Vader etc. Or would they set it up post ROTJ and team her up with Talon Karrde as a Smuggler?

If they set it up after ROTJ, then we have to worry about Luke recast issues same as with what happened to Solo. While many have pointed to Sebastian Stan as a possible candidate, I'm still uneasy about any recasting.

I honestly really don't know about this. On one side I'm like happy to finally get something old EU related, and there's plenty of stuff to pull for her. But all i have to do is look at what has come before, and if they follow in the footsteps of TLJ and Han Solo. Then no thanks!
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    TBH, I can't see it doing that well, considering. My thought is why though, why base a series on Mara if they truly want to start anew with their own characters? So that they can just reinvent Mara in their own vision and likely ruin the character with unnecessary changes. Also, this would mean another story set circa OT. Meaning she's running around interacting with Emperor Palps and Vader etc. Or would they set it up post ROTJ and team her up with Talon Karrde as a Smuggler?
    We have to always remember that Disney have jettisoned the old EU and can do what they want now with any old name or character. If they do make a Mara Jade series, it'll probably bare no resemblance to the character that people know. I know little about her myself to be honest and I can't recall a lot of the Zahn books, so that won't affect me in the slightest. But I can see a lot of folk getting really pizzed off if Disney tinker with her too much.

A post 'Return of the Jedi' show set in the shady black market of smuggling could work though. They just need to stay away from Luke, Han, Leia, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    If they set it up after ROTJ, then we have to worry about Luke recast issues same as with what happened to Solo. While many have pointed to Sebastian Stan as a possible candidate, I'm still uneasy about any recasting.
    This is an absolute no for me. Ehrenreich was crap as Han Solo and never once captured Harrison Ford. So, what's the point? You might as well just make up a brand new character and run with it. This Stan fella looks a little like Mark Hamill in some photos, but it's always going to be clear that he's not, just like it was with Alden Ehrenreich. He doesn't sound like Mark either. So, what we'll end up with is another fake out of a beloved Star Wars character and further destruction of the OT gang.

But then, a series about Mara Jade doesn't necessarily have to include Luke Skywalker.

Dunno. Like yourself, I'm in two minds on how I feel about this possible show.

Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post

Dunno. Like yourself, I'm in two minds on how I feel about this possible show.
    This is where I'm at as well. They brought back Thrawn, but he was a character they could do that with in a show around the time of the OT. They could bring back Mara as an agent of the Emperor and she could have adventures around the time of the OT, but again, they would be treading on some unsteady ground if they change Mara too much. I know they can do what they want with her and all, but a show like this would probably want to capitalize on fans of the character, yet by changing her (and with what happens in the ST, they probably would have to do that) they would probably put off those fans and I can't imagine they'd be able to replace those lost fans with enough new ones.

The one possibility of having the character stay close enough to the old EU would be for her to have been with together with Luke and Rey is their daughter. Maybe Luke and Mara broke up before her birth or Luke thought she had been killed or something, but I doubt that will happen in the new EU.

To me, if they want to make a show about an imperial agent, then they should just create a whole new character like the Mandalorian. From the clips we've seen, we see enough familiar stuff for us to say, "hey, SW" yet we hace completely new characters so they don't have to follow a rigid line on what they can do.

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

If they went forward with this I'd favour a radical reinvention/interpretation that I can imagine most would be saying just use a different character as the character was created at a time when the demographic was primarily male nerds and a hot redhead in skintight leather going toe to toe with the Emperor and Vader before succumbing to the wiles of the hero protagonist pandered to that audience.
    Last edited by Internets; 09-16-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Internets View Post
    If they went forward with this I'd favour a radical reinvention/interpretation that I can imagine most would be saying just use a different character as the character was created at a time when the demographic was primarily male nerds and a hot redhead in skintight leather going toe to toe with the Emperor and Vader before succumbing to the wiles of the hero protagonist pandered to that audience.
    think, for the most part, they should just leave the old or Legend EU untouched. Sure, mining it for ideas or some character-types would be wise, but making a radical change to a character like Mara Jade would just anger more fans than it would attract. Going with the idea of an imperial agent, who answers directly to the Emperor could work, but then it shouldn't be Mara Jade, imo.
    I

it would be no different than making radical changes to "MJ" in the MCU Spiderman movies -- that character shouldn't be "MJ".

I mean, the character itself was fine.... I have no problems with the character... but they really should have used a different name.

(and/or "Ned Leeds", who was never a kid at Peter's school, nor Peter's "guy on the phone" -- he was an adult reporter who Peter met at the Bugle).

the MCU has been making radical changes to iconic characters, and nobody seems to mind. how is this any different?
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 09-16-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast