Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mara Jade Disney plus

This doesn't excite me in the least. For me, she's just a bit too 90's comic booky and doesn't age well because of that.
    OT,PT,ST,RO,TPM,AOTC,ROTS,ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TFA,TLJ.... .STOP THE ABBREVIATION MADNESS!!! We are one abbreviation away from being scientologists. Now is the time to join The Abbreviation Resistance Movement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    it would be no different than making radical changes to "MJ" in the MCU Spiderman movies -- that character shouldn't be "MJ".

I mean, the character itself was fine.... I have no problems with the character... but they really should have used a different name.

(and/or "Ned Leeds", who was never a kid at Peter's school, nor Peter's "guy on the phone" -- he was an adult reporter who Peter met at the Bugle).

the MCU has been making radical changes to iconic characters, and nobody seems to mind. how is this any different?
    Largely because I suspect that most people don't even know about them, they just assume that's how it is. 50% of the audience are likely new kids who just hopped on the wagon over the excitement generated. The other 50% who are CB fans and know about the changes are probably not happy with hem. But on the other foot, it's not a deal breaker. Also, Comics are a very different beast, they've had so many versions and alternate story lines over the years.

But Star Wars hasn't really went through that, and possibly 90% of the audience are completely unaware of the old EU. I feel the major point is, if you're not going to adhere to the characters origins. Why bother using said character? Just invent someone new. Especially since the people who actually know who she is, will know the name. But be totally sideswiped when they see it. Kind of like some Han Solo elements. I think it's best to just avoid the character rather than further driving a wedge. As a fan of the old Mara, i would be very displeased if they ruined the character same way they did with Luke...
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by VideoViper View Post
    Rumor are running that Disney Plus will be developing a show Based on Mara Jade. Here is hoping a good young Luke gets cast down the line.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/luca...v-show-disney/

Your source is wegotthiscovered.com? Guaranteed this is an absolute load of steaming hot horseshit. That site panders to nerd **** that they know will get clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkManX View Post
    This doesn't excite me in the least. For me, she's just a bit too 90's comic booky and doesn't age well because of that.
    That is a fair point...............
    T
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    it would be no different than making radical changes to "MJ" in the MCU Spiderman movies -- that character shouldn't be "MJ".

I mean, the character itself was fine.... I have no problems with the character... but they really should have used a different name.

(and/or "Ned Leeds", who was never a kid at Peter's school, nor Peter's "guy on the phone" -- he was an adult reporter who Peter met at the Bugle).

the MCU has been making radical changes to iconic characters, and nobody seems to mind. how is this any different?
    Difference #1- Mara Jade is probably the biggest fan favorite character from the EU... you could argue a few others, but she's certainly top 5.
    Difference #2- MJ in MCU Spider-Man is not Mary Jane Watson. It's an 'homage' to that character according to Feige. The probably should have just used another name, but somehow Peter saying MJ just seems right to me... even if this is a new character. Zendaya made a good character out of very little.
    Difference #3- No one knew who Ned Leeds was anyway. Yes he has a story in the comics (that I don't want to spoil) but this character is really an amalgam of Ned Leeds and Genke Lee from the Miles Morales timeline.

I think people have been able to shrug off changes to characters like this because they aren't REALLY the character from the comics and in that way aren't really changing much. Mara Jade is a different story. She has been wiped from Star Wars and bringing her back to 'not really Mara Jade' would probably be more of a backhand to already angry nerds. Present company included.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Largely because I suspect that most people don't even know about them, they just assume that's how it is. 50% of the audience are likely new kids who just hopped on the wagon over the excitement generated. The other 50% who are CB fans and know about the changes are probably not happy with hem. But on the other foot, it's not a deal breaker. Also, Comics are a very different beast, they've had so many versions and alternate story lines over the years.
    It's interesting that there's no room in your equation for fans who are aware of the changes and just aren't bothered by them. Apparently they must fall into one of two categories.

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    Difference #1- Mara Jade is probably the biggest fan favorite character from the EU... you could argue a few others, but she's certainly top 5.

I think people have been able to shrug off changes to characters like this because they aren't REALLY the character from the comics and in that way aren't really changing much. Mara Jade is a different story. She has been wiped from Star Wars and bringing her back to 'not really Mara Jade' would probably be more of a backhand to already angry nerds. Present company included.
    This is a really good point. She's basically been wiped away and to bring her back the wrong way would probably do more damage.

They could make her an agent of the emperor and have the show run parallel to the OT and just never go beyond ROTJ or end it just after ROTJ. However, why not just make a completely new character and avoid the whole mess in the first place?
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    bringing her back to 'not really Mara Jade' would probably be more of a backhand to already angry nerds.
    Now I kinda want it to happen.
    Last edited by Internets; 09-18-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Internets View Post
    Now I kinda want it to happen.
    Not gonna lie, a backhand would do a lot of people some good.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mildoo View Post
    Your source is wegotthiscovered.com? Guaranteed this is an absolute load of steaming hot horseshit. That site panders to nerd **** that they know will get clicks.
    Oh I am definitely taking this one with a grain of salt, but there are rumors that they could introduce her in the Boba Fett show ... I mean the Mandalorian.

Also Disney/Marvel seems to be announcing so much I wouldn't be surprised if the the facilities crew that died in the Thanos attack on Avengers Headquarters got their own spin off show.
    This post was written is the sarcasm font. It looks like a regular font but contains sarcasm.
    Feedback BST
    I love this Bar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3_zzZQzx0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast