Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to preserve sealed items before tape dries up

Best way to preserve sealed items before tape dries up

What do you think is the best way to preserve sealed items now that tape is starting to dry up and fall off. Do you prefer getting them graded? Acrylic sliding bottom cases? Cellophane wrap? Something to think about with the value of some sealed items being much higher than unused mint in box.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

I know this won't be a popular quote or opinion , however, once a baggie or box opens, regardless of how. , its opened.

The only way to prove it's unused or unopened , you would need to have the item graded before the tape dries up or pops loose. We all know, our word will only go so far.

Can't use a sliding bottom case, it would have to be closed and unable to be opened without breaking it.
    Last edited by toyman941; 09-04-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Randy if you have anything you're worried about get it graded now so it's marked as sealed; when the tape dries out and it's encased you won't be able to tell

This is also why I like buying Q-graded items that are already opened but unused. they're cheaper and you can't tell the difference when they're cased up and in a few years it won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by porkinsred6 View Post
    Randy if you have anything you're worried about get it graded now so it's marked as sealed; when the tape dries out and it's encased you won't be able to tell

This is also why I like buying Q-graded items that are already opened but unused. they're cheaper and you can't tell the difference when they're cased up and in a few years it won't matter.
    I am intrigued with the Q grade. I need to look into that. So, Q grades. These are opened but not played with?
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

When you buy a q graded item you have confidence that the sticker sheet and all items are intact. If the vehicle or playset has any show of degradation it will reflect in the grade. So in theory buying an 80/85 q grade vs sealed grade is nearly same as tape will eventually dry out over time. Think of a sealed vehicle sent to afa stored in a smokers home. The guts may very well be yellowed but the grade would be only based on the box.
    -as far as original post you put cellophane over it I think would take away from value and display not so wonderfully. Take off the cellophane- dried up tape will come off w it. Probably best to send it and get it cased up, custom case will cost almost as much as grading w case. I have slave1 vintage afa80 cased up sealed w a cracked corner and to get recased is over $100. Not cheap. Wondering if that is worth it or not
    Last edited by BTD2; 09-07-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    I am intrigued with the Q grade. I need to look into that. So, Q grades. These are opened but not played with?

Correct. It's an opened box but the contents are unused. sticker sheets still have all their stickers, any figures inside are still in their baggies, all parts still inside their inserts etc. As part of the Q-grading process the contents are removed from the box and inspected and the grade reflects the condition of the item. AFA also includes a checklist of the contents. So for example I have a Q graded Sears Cantina which says it has a Blue Snaggletooth in a SW-C baggie. Not all cantinas have a blue snag, there are actually a more rare version with red snag but you don't know until you open the box! So it's nice to know mine has a Blue Snag inside.

So what about the sealed sets that have foam in them. If the tape is almost ready to come off, they give it a look over and put everything back and grade accordinly.

What do they do with the degrading foam? I have seen leaky foam baggies that look like sludge. Eventually this can leak out of the baggies and harm other pieces in the sealed box.

Do they put it back in and risk harm ?
    If they Q grade an item and hold back the foam, it's not complete. But why risk it. Shouldn't there be exceptions for sets with foam. We all know the foam just makes a mess. Same goes for rubber bands. These make a mess as well. I have seen 1 year old rubber bands degrade and ruin what they were holding in place. Leaves a sticky discoloration.

.... another good reason to just collect Proofs , and cardbacks ( in regards to 2D)!!
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    Refining my broken English to proper English, *cuz John A. said so

Iím torn on what the best option is for my sealed stuff. I thought about sending them in for grading, but have had some bad experiences with AFA and with boxed stuff coming back in worse condition that it was sent away in. They are safely in sliding bottom cases and look great now, but part of me knows that their value will depreciate when inevitably the tape dries up and comes detached.

I personally collect because I love the stuff and the memories connected with it, not for value or investment, but eventually when Iím gone my family might want to sell a good part of my collection. Itís a tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
    .... another good reason to just collect Proofs , and cardbacks ( in regards to 2D)!!

I did collect proofs for many years, but they are now out of my price range. I also still feel a strong connection to the toys themselves and even the price tags that are on many of the boxes.
    Last edited by Kenner76; 09-09-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    So what about the sealed sets that have foam in them. If the tape is almost ready to come off, they give it a look over and put everything back and grade accordinly.

What do they do with the degrading foam? I have seen leaky foam baggies that look like sludge. Eventually this can leak out of the baggies and harm other pieces in the sealed box.

Do they put it back in and risk harm ?
    If they Q grade an item and hold back the foam, it's not complete. But why risk it. Shouldn't there be exceptions for sets with foam. We all know the foam just makes a mess. Same goes for rubber bands. These make a mess as well. I have seen 1 year old rubber bands degrade and ruin what they were holding in place. Leaves a sticky discoloration.
    I had a horrible experience sending in a vintage G.I. Joe Skystriker in for Q grading several years ago. I was concerned about the nose of the ship breaking through the side of the outer box, so a I added a piece of bubble wrap for protection. I asked afa to keep the bubble wrap in the box after grading.

My request was sadly ignored and the Skystriker came back to me with an AFA85-Q, but the more of the plane had broke through the outer box leaving a huge hole in the side flaps. Insurance wouldn’t cover the damage due to both the shipping box and acrylic case being undamaged. They didn’t even reinforce the side flaps of the box with acrylic. I ended up selling the thing at a huge loss, because every time I looked at it I got made at AFA. I don’t know that I can trust them again.
    Last edited by Kenner76; 09-09-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast