Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: The Eternals (2020)

  1. #1

    The Eternals (2020)

    Release - November 6, 2020

    The Eternals is an upcoming American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics race of the same name. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is intended to be the twenty-fifth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Chloé Zhao, written by Matthew and Ryan Firpo, and features an ensemble cast including Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek, Lia McHugh, Don Lee, Gemma Chan, Barry Keoghan and Kit Harington.
    In April 2018, Kevin Feige announced that a film based on the Eternals had begun development, with Matthew and Ryan Firpo hired to write the script for the project in May 2018. By late-September, Marvel had hired Zhao to direct the film. The main cast was officially announced at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2019, with filming beginning at that time at Pinewood Studios in England.

    Premise:

    Set at the beginning of the universe, the Eternals, an immortal alien race created by the Celestials, are sent to Earth to protect humanity from their evil counterparts, the Deviants.

    Cast:


    • Angelina Jolie as Thena: An Eternal warrior
    • Richard Madden as Ikaris: An Eternal "fueled by cosmic energy".
    • Kumail Nanjiani as Kingo
    • Lauren Ridloff as Makkari: An Eternal. She is the first deaf superhero in the MCU.
    • Brian Tyree Henry as Phastos
    • Salma Hayek as Ajak: The leader of the Eternals.
    • Lia McHugh as Sprite
    • Don Lee as Gilgamesh
    • Barry Keoghan as Druig
    • Gemma Chan as Sersi: Chan previously portrayed Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel (2019)
    • Kit Harington as Dane Whitman


    Who is looking forward to this movie?



  2. #2
    This is the one I'm probably least looking forward to, to be honest. There's 11 characters, most of which are obscure to even me. That's saying something! I'm not really sure how I feel about the IMMENSE level of race and gender swapping they did with characters. The vast majority of characters have been. I assume this is largely due to the fact that no one really has much of any attachment to these characters, but still. I usually prefer comic accuracy over not. Doesn't mean it can't be done well though. Basically, when you look at the history of the Eternals, their creator (Jack Kirby) essentially just ripped off his own DC New Gods creation. He was going so back and forth between the two companies, I feel like he forgot New Gods wasn't Marvel and just did their equivalent. I also feel like this has a lot of the same angles as what would have been the Inhumans, but since that film didn't pan out...then downgrading it to television didn't even work out (possibly Marvels only real live-action flop in modern times)...they just opted for this instead. It fulfills the same narrative role. I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy has proven that with great writing and storytelling ability, essentially no-name characters can become household name successes. But for the time being I'm just not that intrigued. The only real eyebrow raise I had with the flick was the inclusion of Black Knight. That's probably the biggest named character in the film and considering he's even relatively unknown by casuals, that's saying something. I always pegged him showing up first in a Dr. Strange or possibly even a Thor film. His inclusion here is rather...odd. I'd half expect them to throw Hercules in here now. I also have to wonder just which Black Knight they're doing. I know it says Dane Whitman, the hero version, but Marvel has been known to combo characters. Yellowjacket, an alter-ego of Hank Pym (who went fairly crazy and did some shady stuff as that alter-ego...but also did heroics), was made into its own separate villain. Whiplash had more in common with the Crimson Dynamo than comic Whiplash at the time. The film character is basically a composite of the two comic foes. Will they combo the two Black Knight characters into one, where it's the Dane Whitman identity but the villainous traits of the Nathan Garrett Black Knight?
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-30-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GNT View Post

    Set at the beginning of the universe, the Eternals, an immortal alien race created by the Celestials, are sent to Earth to protect humanity from their evil counterparts, the Deviants.
    I hope 75% of the above premise is wrong, because the only thing "right" is that the Eternals were created by the Celestials! But: it starts a million years ago when the Celestials' first host visit Earth and create (from early humanity) the Eternals and Deviants as experiments. They are pretty near immortal and all-powerful, so there will need to be some significant challenge to make an interesting story.
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

    Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

  4. #4
    It's really just a wait and see from me on this one. I didn't know much about the Guardians of the Galaxy and that worked out to be one of my favorite parts of the MCU. The thing I have a hard time understanding is how any of these characters will actually be a part of or interact with any of what we already know. I imagine most are assuming this film will be an introduction to something like Galactus or Mutants or something else that will connect, but I have a hard time seeing a movie with Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Shang-Chi, and Ikaris.........

    Gotta give the MCU the benefit of the doubt though... they've got some miracles left in the bag and some great characters (Dr. Doom, Namor, Wolverine, Thunderbolts) just begging to come out and play.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007


    http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    I have no interest in this at all.

    I believe that after Endgame, (and before the Fox deal), Marvel needed a new "ensemble" superhero team to replace the Avengers as the main tentpole for the MCU. and when the Inhumans didn't pan out, they dug deep. they scraped the very bottom of the barrel, with this relatively obscure title.

    BUT now, AFTER the fox deal, there's really NO need for this. they should have scrapped this idea completely, and replaced it with F4 or Xmen instead.

    Xmen would make a MUCH better "tentpole" for the MCU, than the "eternals" of all things. it seems ridiculous to me that they're EVEN going ahead with this. why bother with such an obscure title, when they have the freaking Xmen at their disposal?
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 08-30-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    I have no interest in this at all.

    I believe that after Endgame, (and before the Fox deal), Marvel needed a new "ensemble" superhero team to replace the Avengers as the main tentpole for the MCU. and when the Inhumans didn't pan out, they dug deep. they scraped the very bottom of the barrel, with this relatively obscure title.

    BUT now, AFTER the fox deal, there's really NO need for this. they should have scrapped this idea completely, and replaced it with F4 or Xmen instead.

    Xmen would make a MUCH better "tentpole" for the MCU, than the "eternals" of all things. it seems ridiculous to me that they're EVEN going ahead with this. why bother with such an obscure title, when they have the freaking Xmen at their disposal?
    I do see the majority of these characters to be one-off characters in that they don't make much sense mixed in with the rest of the MCU. Sersi was an Avenger for a bit and Black Knight is a usable character, but the rest?

    I think this movie will be an explanation for ... well... everything. Super Serum, Gamma Radiation, Spider bite, X Gene, Heart shaped herb, Pym particles, Cosmic power, Infinity Stones or whatever created Wanda and Pietro all could be explained to a degree by this movie. If you look at the powers the Eternals have, they are basically Captain Marvel with added Wanda powers... basically all the powers we've seen in the MCU so far.

    If this movie allows us to have Mutants, Fantastic Four, Galactus, Annihilus, Namor and whatever craziness comes with it, I'm in.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007


    http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    I really think that this movie is to establish a foothold for plausibility of more cosmic forces. Galactus will come....as will Adam and Surfer. God could you picture a proper Surfer MCU movie?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    I really think that this movie is to establish a foothold for plausibility of more cosmic forces. Galactus will come....as will Adam and Surfer. God could you picture a proper Surfer MCU movie?
    You know, when I was a kid...I never liked Surfer. I always pictured him as an actual surfer dude mentality, "How's is hangin, Brah?" I'd never actually read any of his books. But then in High School I actually sat down and read volume 1 of Surfer and boy could I have been more wrong? He became a favorite of mine. What a deep and even occasionally profound character...not to mention insanely powerful. He was actually Stan's favorite creation and I understand why. Truthfully, I sincerely missed him in Infinity War. A Surfer origin movie, full out insane cosmic would be INCREDIBLE. Honestly, it's got to happen eventually...right? They'd be crazy not to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    I do see the majority of these characters to be one-off characters in that they don't make much sense mixed in with the rest of the MCU. Sersi was an Avenger for a bit and Black Knight is a usable character, but the rest?

    I think this movie will be an explanation for ... well... everything. Super Serum, Gamma Radiation, Spider bite, X Gene, Heart shaped herb, Pym particles, Cosmic power, Infinity Stones or whatever created Wanda and Pietro all could be explained to a degree by this movie. If you look at the powers the Eternals have, they are basically Captain Marvel with added Wanda powers... basically all the powers we've seen in the MCU so far.

    If this movie allows us to have Mutants, Fantastic Four, Galactus, Annihilus, Namor and whatever craziness comes with it, I'm in.
    Honestly, it's the only reason why I'm not 100% opposed to it...it's what ELSE it can bring to the table. Iron man grounded us. Thor put mythological on the table. Guardians brought us space first. Strange introduced mystic. Now it's time to go full on cosmic with the really out there wonky stuff. It's dabbled in that stuff, but I don't think it's really head first plunged in yet. Not with the deep and divine astronomical entities, trippy-hippie like out of body concepts we can't even fully understand style stuff. Ego may be closest thus far. Eternals will likely be the path to that world. So while I'm not really excited for it in and of itself, I am excited for what doors it'll open.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-30-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

  9. #9
    Did anyone even pick up on the fact that time wise Namor has already made himself known? Referring to the scene in Endgame where Widow asks about the underwater quakes."we handled it by not handling it"... I truly hope Namor enters as a villain. There are some classic lesser used marvel characters that are being tapped now that two of the big 3 are gone. Dr. Strange was always super interesting, Namor and Shang Chi too. Moon Knight....awesome. Now if we get the Secret wars I am simply gonna lose it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    Did anyone even pick up on the fact that time wise Namor has already made himself known? Referring to the scene in Endgame where Widow asks about the underwater quakes."we handled it by not handling it"... I truly hope Namor enters as a villain. There are some classic lesser used marvel characters that are being tapped now that two of the big 3 are gone. Dr. Strange was always super interesting, Namor and Shang Chi too. Moon Knight....awesome. Now if we get the Secret wars I am simply gonna lose it.
    I actually was talking about this in the Black Panther 2 thread. I REALLY want to see Namor. My favorite lesser known/used Marvel characters def. are Strange, Namor, Surfer, Moon Knight, and Daredevil. I'm actually a BIG fan of the Prince of Atlantis. My only concern is, Marvel is afraid they'll be accused of ripping off Aquaman and so they may want to avoid him. I sure hope not! The irony is, Namor actually pre-dates Aquaman anyway! He's way older than people know. He's a deep cut, the second Marvel (then Timely) character ever created.I see a LOT of potential with him. Plus lots of cross-over potential. Fantastic Four, Black Panther, X-Men, Avengers, he'd work in an awful lot of films plus works for his own as well.

    Moon Knight has me worried. He's been one of my biggest wants, but I thought he was PRIME for a Netflix show. They then got cancelled. I really think he deserves an R rated show and doing him any less would be an injustice, but I don't think Disney Plus is doing R ratings. So I'm a bit concerned.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •