Thread: Black Panther 2 (2022)

Black Panther 2 (2022)

Release - May 6, 2022

By October 2018, Ryan Coogler had completed a deal to write and direct a sequel to Black Panther. By July 2019, Feige confirmed the film was in active development. At the 2019 D23 Expo, the working title Black Panther II and a release date of May 6, 2022 were announced

The first film was really good, one of Marvel's best so looking forward to this one.

See I'd have to respectfully disagree. While I do agree it's a very fun and enjoyable film, I wouldn't rank it as one of their best. It's def. not bottom tier either, I just think it's overrated. Great, but far from the artistic masterpiece it's been made out to be. The fact it was nominated for best picture was pretty absurd. I really don't understand how it's any more original or special than any other standardized superhero origin story. Frankly, we all know why it was nominated...but you can't say it aloud. But we all know why...

But sure, it was pretty darn fun. The heavy rumors have been that since the Fox deal and the acquiring of Fantastic Four characters (which Panther even first appeared in) that Namor the Submariner will be the antagonist. Some have even theorized that that apparent Oceanic earthquake that register on radar in Endgame was a hint toward his coming. Frankly, if Namor is in...I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO down for that. That WOULD very much so mirror Wakanda's first appearance in Ultron also being a sort of Easter Egg on a holo-map screen. Plus it would make a good rivalry, leader of Atlantis vs. the leader of Wakanda. Two countries that secluded themselves from the world. Ultimately though, if in keeping with the Namor character, he'll eventually turn good. Namor has always been one of those ambiguously grey morality characters, a sort of ***hole who you can relate to. You don't necessarily condone his means, but you can get his reasons. He means well...well...kinda. So my question then becomes, who would be the character that they would unite against? Attuma perhaps?
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-30-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

I agree, personally I can;t wait to see characters like F4 and the like. While the first Panther movie was okay, some of it just felt long winded and he basically fought himself via magic Mirror.
    Jordan did a pretty good job in the role, though it just felt like knockoff of BP. Nothing to get really excited over. For me.

Not knowing what it's really about, i couldn't say much. But it would be kind of cool for Namor to be the antagonist, easy way to work him into MCU and like you say hinted at in Avengers. My question is, is it too soon since Aquaman? Especially since A2 is coming fairly close to that date. He, like Black Widow, suffers from not having many notable Villains to draw from. Most of which have already been used.

Also curious if they'll try to work in Ororo Munroe in somehow, since they now have access to Fox characters.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    I agree, personally I can;t wait to see characters like F4 and the like. While the first Panther movie was okay, some of it just felt long winded and he basically fought himself via magic Mirror.
    Jordan did a pretty good job in the role, though it just felt like knockoff of BP. Nothing to get really excited over. For me.

Not knowing what it's really about, i couldn't say much. But it would be kind of cool for Namor to be the antagonist, easy way to work him into MCU and like you say hinted at in Avengers. My question is, is it too soon since Aquaman? Especially since A2 is coming fairly close to that date. He, like Black Widow, suffers from not having many notable Villains to draw from. Most of which have already been used.

Also curious if they'll try to work in Ororo Munroe in somehow, since they now have access to Fox characters.
    I mean exactly, one issue that may arise in the Panther films is they sort of blew their load too early. Essentially every major villain he has, which is a small line-up, has been used. I immediately think of Klaw: Used and now dead. I then think of Man-Ape: Use and now allied with. Then Killmonger: used and dead. Who's really left? Those are his big three! Klaw was barely used, pretty much wasted. Killmonger is just evil Black Panther, I've never understood the praise the character received. M'Baku (Man-Ape) is a hero now. I've heard Kraven thrown out there, but I identify him as more a Spider-Man villain, I did like the idea of tying his backstory to Wakanda though, but NOW it's pretty much irrelevant anyway. Surely the rights to him go with Spider-Man AKA Sony. I think Namor is a good solution to this problem.

That's the ONE thing though that worries me when concerning Namor - Aquaman. I'm worried Marvel will be worried they'll appear as if they're ripping DC off, for most normal casual fans...it probably would appear that way. For the diehards, we know that Namor predated Aquaman. Heck! He's actually the second oldest Marvel character. But that really is a concern that they'll keep putting his off due to Aquaman. I really hope not!
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-31-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    I mean exactly, one issue that may arise in the Panther films is they sort of blew their load too early. Essentially every major villain he has, which is a small line-up, has been used. I immediately think of Klaw: Used and now dead. I then think of Man-Ape: Use and now allied with. Then Killmonger: used and dead. Who's really left? Those are his big three! Klaw was barely used, pretty much wasted. Killmonger is just evil Black Panther, I've never understood the praise the character received. M'Baku (Man-Ape) is a hero now. I've heard Kraven thrown out there, but I identify him as more a Spider-Man villain, I did like the idea of tying his backstory to Wakanda though, but NOW it's pretty much irrelevant anyway. Surely the rights to him go with Spider-Man AKA Sony. I think Namor is a good solution to this problem.

That's the ONE thing though that worries me when concerning Namor - Aquaman. I'm worried Marvel will be worried they'll appear as if they're ripping DC off, for most normal casual fans...it probably would appear that way. For the diehards, we know that Namor predated Aquaman. Heck! He's actually the second oldest Marvel character. But that really is a concern that they'll keep putting his off due to Aquaman. I really hope not!
    Not sure why there is so much concern about Namor. If it's a Namor film, then yes it would be very similar to Aquaman. If it's a Black Panther film, the majority will be out of the water. I don't see Black Panther going underwater to attack Namor.

I could easily see this as a three way battle. Perhaps this is another manipulation attempt like the Zemo plot. You have Black Panther and Wakanda. Namor and Atlantis. AND since Storm doesn't really have a stated country you could use her as Ororo from the Savage Land. Keep her backstory the same if you want. (mother a princess that married a foreigner, orphaned and the develops powers to lead her tribe). You could include Ka-Zar, Shanna, and Zabu if you like. Perhaps they are all being manipulated by another for some nefarious purpose *cough* Vibranium***cough **Doom *cough*.
    Last edited by keknivek; 09-03-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Speaking of, though it really is too early to tell. But I wonder who will be the build up to Villain. Personally I've never been that big a fan of Doom or Galactus, but I went along with it because they're F4 characters. But for either of them to be "Endgame" baddies for the next phase? IDK. I like the idea of Kang being introduced, because of the time travel hacks.

Galactus does make more sense as he's a Planet eater, and makes for a Universal threat the same as Thanos. But Doom, just feels like your average street thug Villain.

Speaking of, though it really is too early to tell. But I wonder who will be the build up to Villain. Personally I've never been that big a fan of Doom or Galactus, but I went along with it because they're F4 characters. But for either of them to be "Endgame" baddies for the next phase? IDK. I like the idea of Kang being introduced, because of the time travel hacks.

Galactus does make more sense as he's a Planet eater, and makes for a Universal threat the same as Thanos. But Doom, just feels like your average street thug Villain.
    I am TOTALLY down with Kang. I summarized his coming just makes sense when you look at the context of Endgame. I'd be more surprised if he doesn't show up. Plus he's one of the larger and more important villains in the Marvel mythos. I'd like Galactus, eventually, but I feel giant intergalactic threats have been done to death. So I think it's time for a break from that...for now. This is why I'm pushing more for Doom as the next Thanos level ultimate "boss fight" foe. He's Thanos level, just in a very different way. See I wouldn't agree that he's an average street thug at all though. He's just been portrayed sooooooooooooooooo poorly on film before. In comics, he's a mega threat. He's the ultimate puppet-master. He's easily Marvel's most intelligent villain, the Reed of antagonists. See you have to remember, outside of Thanos himself and only with the gauntlet...there's only one other villain that defeated the MCU heroes. Zemo is just a man, but proved the major threat they can be when competent enough. Sure he's caught by the end, but not before it's too late. What he aimed to achieve...he did. Doom is that tenfold. Plus the real zinger is, apparently it's been theorized in comic continuity itself, that Kang IS the future Doom. Don't quote me on the details there though, I'm not an expert on those specifics. But I can really see some great stuff done with that. If anyone will finally portray a comic accurate and incredible Doom, it's Feige. I do think Doom needs MAJOR build-up though. Indirectly tie him to the events of practically every MCU movie this phase. He's observing and studying. He's biding his time for the proper moment. Have hits of him being the master, a lot of villains being just pawns to some shadowed figure and finally reveal...that figure is from Latveria.

I mean who's left for Avengers? We've done Loki, Ultron, Zemo, and Thanos. The fairly major Avenger foes left to face off against are Kang, REAL Mandarin, Doom, and Galactus are the logical choices to be coming. Sure some may be associated with other books like Mandarin with Iron Man and Doom with Fantastic Four, but for the most part...once a villain becomes so successful like they have, they basically just become general Marvel villains.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 09-03-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    Plus the real zinger is, apparently it's been theorized in comic continuity itself, that Kang IS the future Doom. Don't quote me on the details there though, I'm not an expert on those specifics. But I can really see some great stuff done with that. If anyone will finally portray a comic accurate and incredible Doom, it's Feige.
    Well, that could be interesting if becomes true. I think my resistance to Doom, is that fact I've seen him done too many times on screen. And not the best representations. He's almost the Luthor of DC Movies, been in them all. MCU definitely went through the Villains fairly quickly in short time period, so if they run out of them too soon. It really is their fault. lol

But lets not forget that Marvel isn't just about who is or who was an Avenger. There's the whole Star Jammer Shi'ar aspect that could introduce a whole new path for them. That is probably what I'm most interested in seeing. We also likely haven't seen the end of Skrull Kree war stuff?

Well, that could be interesting if becomes true. I think my resistance to Doom, is that fact I've seen him done too many times on screen. And not the best representations. He's almost the Luthor of DC Movies, been in them all. MCU definitely went through the Villains fairly quickly in short time period, so if they run out of them too soon. It really is their fault. lol

But lets not forget that Marvel isn't just about who is or who was an Avenger. There's the whole Star Jammer Shi'ar aspect that could introduce a whole new path for them. That is probably what I'm most interested in seeing. We also likely haven't seen the end of Skrull Kree war stuff?
    Yeah I'd have to say, of all the great Marvel villains...Doom has probably been the most mistreated on screen. I can def. understand some apprehension with his inclusion. Honestly some versions don't have much of anything even in common with comic Victor. Often he's been portrayed on film as almost a caricature of over-the-top super villainy, like so utterly hammy. I really want a quality movie adaptation, basically the MCU's Darth Vader. He should be ominous, intimidating, frightening, always one step ahead with next-level brilliance (utilize both science and mysticism) and an utter ego-maniacal persona willing to use anyone for his own gains.

I will say, I am excited for a quality Fantastic Four and I think only the MCU could do it. However, it's the other characters the rights bring that excite me more than the Fantastic Four themselves. Namor, Surfer, Galactus, Doom, Annihilus, I could even see something really fun done with Mole Man in Subterranea with his Gollum-like minions and a slew of monsters. For the Four themselves though? Well this may be off the table now due to the latest news, but I do really want to see a film somewhere on the line that would have the classic Torch/Spider-Man duo. Even if just a scene! Also it would be a complete missed opportunity to not have Thing fight Hulk.

I totally think now is the time of the Starjammers and Shi'ar. Now that they've gained the X-Men rights, I mean...the Jammers can fit into a LOT of stories. They have potential for X-Men, Guardians, Captain Marvel, as well as their own films. When introduced, you could have them meet Surfer, Nova, Warlock, on and on it goes. The Starjammers have mega crossover potential, much more than the freaking Eternals.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 09-04-2019 at 08:29 PM.