Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Before you spend money, you may want to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    The question is how did AFA figure out its a fake. Is it an objective measure?
    Apparently , there are tell tales and differences between the real and repro . Also there is a specific length to these.

I have learned about this a little too late.

The outside part was real and the inner filament color was an exact match with some bending to it. The bending is very common with these. I see it all the time, even with AFA grades in high numbers.

It was easy to fool me because I only knew what to look for on the outside part and not the inside. If the inside filament was perfect, I would have tried to dig deeper but still would have missed it because I didn't know what to look for.

Maybe I should change the title of the thread to Buy Rare, BEWARE! Lol
    Last edited by toyman941; 08-31-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I really appreciate the concern and support, people. Thank you. I'm really glad I posted this. I have been coming to the right place (here at RS) and will continue to. You guys don't disappoint!!

The main target of this topic is awareness of buyer protection. Just because you buy direct out in the wild, it doesn't mean you can't have protection . Using cash will give you absolutely 0 protection.

Always try to buy and pay with a credit card with fraud protection. Nerd wallet. Com as a list of credit cards with the best rates and best buyer protection if you need help finding one.

Leave the cash in your pocket.
    Last edited by toyman941; 09-01-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I had a very similar experience. There is a guy at my local comic con who sells pretty much everything. You want it, chances are he's got it. He's a nice guy, but I don't know what to think about what happened. I bought:

2 Blue Hand-Held Lightsabers

Warok Bow

Black Palace Blaster

Black Imperial Blaster

So, after handing him cash, I was all excited. Then I realized the lightsabers were fake. So then I decided to test everything else. All fake, and by the time I realized, the next con was about 10 months away. I did get some legit stuff, but the fakes really dampened my mood. After this, I have become very careful when paying cash for any accessory's.

Sorry to hear about your DT Luke. That really must sting.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterRizz View Post
    I had a very similar experience. There is a guy at my local comic con who sells pretty much everything. You want it, chances are he's got it. He's a nice guy, but I don't know what to think about what happened. I bought:

2 Blue Hand-Held Lightsabers

Warok Bow

Black Palace Blaster

Black Imperial Blaster

So, after handing him cash, I was all excited. Then I realized the lightsabers were fake. So then I decided to test everything else. All fake, and by the time I realized, the next con was about 10 months away. I did get some legit stuff, but the fakes really dampened my mood. After this, I have become very careful when paying cash for any accessory's.

Sorry to hear about your DT Luke. That really must sting.
    Thanks , and no. Not the best feeling in the world finding out I've been taken. I was pretty stoked finding him out in the wild. AFA was supposed to get back to me right away after receiving it but they took a while. I thought I was in the clear. Luckily, they did get back to me, BEFORE the bill was due for my CC date cycle on the 14th ..

If nothing more comes out of this, I really hope I can show others to use Credit card purchase protection . Especially in today's market. Deals are there to be had, but fraud still lurks and awaits us all.

Sorry to hear about your finds as well.

What's in your wallet ??? Definitely not just a commercial catch phrase. !!
    Last edited by toyman941; 09-01-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    The question is how did AFA figure out its a fake. Is it an objective measure?
    Of course there are differences. check out the imperial gunnery https://www.imperialgunnery.com/lightsabers for close ups of each version including some well known fakes. Even the best repros as of now have minor differences that can tell them apart from real ones. I won't go into too much detail about them here though just in case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12