Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 75252 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer

After looking at some comparisons, I'd consider this a minor changes with a major price upgrade. ��
    https://www.brickhello.com/post/lego-star-wars-ucs-imperial-star-destroyer-2002-vs-2019

Old versus new - small change big price

After looking at some comparisons, I'd consider this as minor changes with a major price upgrade. 😫
    https://www.brickhello.com/post/lego-star-wars-ucs-imperial-star-destroyer-2002-vs-2019

I'm sat here looking sat the box and it's just as big as the UCS Falcon's, but the piece count is ~2700 less for the ISD.

So I checked the weight and the ISD, at 13.6 kg, is around a can of soda lighter than the UCS Falcon (13.9 kg) which tells me that the ISD is made up of lots of large pieces and the Falcon was lots of small pieces.

The piece:price ratio was never the greatest yard stick, so maybe the better way would be price:weight instead. Accordingly you are going to spend 0.051 cents per gram on 75282 and 0.057 cents per gram for 75192, making the new Imperial Star destroyer slightly more reasonable in price.

[Caveat: I'm terrible at math so I might have got the calculation back to front]

The best way, I expect, to compare apples and oranges would be do so with the stud count.
    LEGO Star Wars content manager - Rebelscum
    LEGO Star Wars forum administrator - Rebelscum
    RLFM Representative - LEGO Ambassador Network

Price/weight is definitely a better measurement of value, albeit not-so-easily-obtainable.

There are a few additional considerations I'd throw into overall valuation of a set (minifigures, stickers vs. printed elements, etc.).

Still.....there's just something about the Star Destroyer that doesn't scream "$700 set" to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it in person, but as of right now I have no plans to get it.

I still wish this one opened up and had some play features on the bridge, control room, etc.

Today is the day I start building this - so excited I woke up at 430am, as excited as a 4 year old on Christmas morning.

I've got three mates coming over later on to help put it together - burgers, beers and bricks!

Quote Originally Posted by oneknightr View Post
    I can be patient and wait until a good discount appears.
    For those of you that have experience with these high-end sets, how likely is it that this will be sold at a discounted/sale price in the future?

Not while it is D2C, but after 3 or 6 months it'll get moved to general retail and you might see some discounts then.

The UCS Falcon has been out on shelves for over a year and I've yet to see a significant sale.

So in all honesty, the chances are low.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Not while it is D2C, but after 3 or 6 months it'll get moved to general retail and you might see some discounts then.

The UCS Falcon has been out on shelves for over a year and I've yet to see a significant sale.

So in all honesty, the chances are low.

Probably the best "deal" you could get would be to buy it during double VIP points...

I'd hazard a guess that this set is a lot more likely to see discounts than the UCS Millennium Falcon, simply because general interest among AFOLs seems lower. Retailers will have more stock on hand a year from now and will need to move it somehow.

It's a gamble though. If you really love the set, I wouldn't risk waiting too long for a sale.
    Last edited by The_Chosen_1; 09-16-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast