Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Advice on Collection Downsizing

Looking for Advice on Collection Downsizing

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I couldn't really find a section of the forum that was dedicated to general Star Wars Collection discussion that doesn't revolve around discussion about the toys in particular or displaying.

I grew up through the 90s era of Star Wars. I was into it since I was very young, but as you know, the 90s era was kind of notorious for having a lot of ...bad Star Wars toys/merch. My family knew that I was really into Star Wars so they tended to just overload me at Christmas/birthday with anything that had the Star Wars label on it. As a result, I accumulated a large pile of Star Wars toys from the 90s/early 00s era that no one really seems to want. Lots of old Power of the Force figures, carded Phantom Menace figures, loose vehicles, lots of Micromachines, Bend-Ems, die-cast figures and a whole host of other Star Wars toys/merchandise from that era. I really need to get rid of it to free up room. It's been taking up so much space for years. I really don't want to just throw it away, especially since a lot of it is still in the package (parents kept telling me to not open stuff because it would be valuable one day and would often buy me extras of things I really wanted to open so that I would still have one in the package..._). But almost none of it (a few PotF vehicles aside) really fit in my current collection focus.

I was just wondering what you all think would be the best way to get rid of it or if you had any advice or had a similar situation. Most of it isn't valuable enough to be worth the shipping costs, I would imagine. I live in a small area so I'm not sure that I could find anyone local who would want to take it off my hands either. I don't have any young family members to pass it along to. I would like to get at least SOMETHING out of it if I could

Honestly? Most of my POTF2 - ROTS era figures (not all...some I still think can fit into a modern display) I actually just gave to charity for children in poverty. I mean you can try to make money off them, but trust me when I say...it's more effort than it's worth. Most the stuff is relatively worthless now. So I thought, well...they're toys. Who can still appreciate them? Children in need! Plus it's a kind of feel good therapeutic thing to do whilst still being productive and solving your problem.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-27-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Yeah, the donation route sounds like the best idea if it's stuff you don't think will sell for very much.
    Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "l'll go a little later, I'll go a littler later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

Agree with the donation idea 100%; a charity/Goodwill/etc. would be a good place to donate these. It's a definite misconception that old SW toys are worth loads of money. For the most part, definitely not.

Maybe the Vintage stuff (1977-1985) is worth something (depending on the shape/condition, whether or not it's packaged, etc.). However, much of the modern toys (1995-on) - especially POTF2 - are in many cases worth less than what they cost @ retail. I remember back in early-mid 2000, many toy stores (TRU, Kay-bee) were blowing out a lot of POTF2 toys for extremely good sale prices. As a result, I suspect that the market got over-saturated due to people getting a lot of these products.

Note also that in some cases, even if you keep old figures in good shape & even if they're packaged - the plastic will in many cases deteriorate & become "sticky" - thereby decreasing the value of the item(s).

In any case, I don't see most of these toys being worth much $. You may get something if you try to sell them via the mail - maybe. However, I suspect that when you add in the shipping costs, you probably won't get much more than you paid for the items - if that.

In my case, I've given my unwanted SW toys (typically POTF2 & some other select figures) to a younger relative who's a big SW fan. This gets it out of my hands & frees up much needed space, and they're going to someone who appreciates the item(s).
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 08-27-2019 at 09:18 AM.

I hit a point when really, I had to ask myself how many (example) Tatooine Luke Skywalker figures do I need? I did keep most the accessories, usually the exclusive or unique stuff like for example: I kept the floppy hat, T-16 model, and binoculars from past Tatooine Luke figures but gave the figure itself away, that way I could give those accessories to more modern and vastly superior Luke figures. I kept the oxygen masks from the cinema scenes Mynock Hunt set to put in my falcon and of course kept the Mynock. I always kept tools from prior dated figures too to put in it as well. But why do I need a He-Man like Han Solo or a dozen Princess Leia's with monkey faces? I remember back when the POTF2 era was being released, people were buying them up in droves believing they'd be worth something. For a brief time, at the time, they were. They certainly didn't retain that value long. Some of them you practically can't even give away anymore. I think it was just due to the novelty of new SW figures being made but also that misconception that they would be a goldmine later in life. My poor parents paid like $50 for a Princess Leia. Looking back, it's silly. So I began to purge my collection. Unless it's a fairly exclusive one and done character like, say, some senators from Attack of the Clones or a random cantina alien, I gave them away. Save for POTF2-ROTS figures/character like that, my collection is almost entirely made up of (at the earliest) 30th Anniversary collection, 2006 and 2008 SAGA collection, Legacy collection, Black Series 3'', and the modernized Vintage collection. Even most ships have modernized versions that just make the originals pale in comparison. I've updated almost every classic ship I had to the newest version. I just felt I'd stick with one "definitive" version of a character or ship if they have a multitude of versions to chose from. It does seem like some of this more modern stuff is retaining its value though.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-27-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

You could google search toy stores, comic shops, collectible stores, antique stores, flea markets in your area or nearby towns/cities and see if any come up.

There is a local, independent toy store in my area that pays $1.00 each for loose action figures of any type and $2.00 each for carded figures so you might find a local store in your area(or close enough to drive to)that pays that much as well. It doesn't hurt to look into since you are trying to get something out of them. Just keep your expectations low but even at $1.00 to $2.00 a piece per figure, if you have quite a few, it adds up nicely. Also, keep in mind that one store may only want figures but another store might want some of the other items you have.

You could even try Craigslist and then just meet up with the person you are selling to at a store parking lot.

I've actually sold a lot of figures over the years to local Scummers and meeting them at Target/Walmart parking lots to conduct the transactions.

Hope this helps.
    Nothing, I'm all right!

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    But why do I need a He-Man like Han Solo or a dozen Princess Leia's with monkey faces? I remember back when the POTF2 era was being released, people were buying them up in droves believing they'd be worth something. For a brief time, at the time, they were. They certainly didn't retain that value long. Some of them you practically can't even give away anymore.
    Agree completely with this - very relatable. I remember the POTF2 era well (1995-2000). The first "dog faced" Princess Leia was an extremely HTF figure at the time; I think it took me close to a year to find this @ retail - and when I finally did, I was thinking I had found something very valuable - LOL.

I remember comic stores selling this for high prices - despite that fact that this was a really ugly figure. These days, there are so many other superior 3.75" ANH Leia figures that this sub-par version is very forgettable - other than due to the novelty aspect. So, these days - I agree you may have a difficult time giving this away - LOL.
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 08-27-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    Agree completely with this - very relatable. I remember the POTF2 era well (1995-2000). The first "dog faced" Princess Leia was an extremely HTF figure at the time; I think it took me close to a year to find this @ retail - and when I finally did, I was thinking I had found something very valuable - LOL.

I remember comic stores selling this for high prices - despite that fact that this was a really ugly figure. These days, there are so many other superior 3.75" ANH Leia figures that this sub-par version is very forgettable - other than due to the novelty aspect. So, these days - I agree you may have a difficult time giving this away - LOL.
    Really there's very few POTF2 era figures I still have. I kept the cantina band, EV-9D9, 8D8, 2-1B Medical Droid, ASP-7 Droid, Lak Sivrak (wolfman), Ishi Tib, Pote Snitkin, Jawa's, Aunt Beru, Motti, Wuher, Max Rebo Band, Spider Droid, Jabba's Dancers cinema scene, and Kabe and Muftak. For TPM I kept Captain Panaka, Padme, Theed Battle Padme, Senator Palpatine, Chancellor Valorum, Rune Haako, Captain Tarpals, Nute Gunray, Holographic Darth Sidious, Gasgano, Sio Bibble, C-3PO, Pit Droids, Ody Mandrell, and the Sebulba and two Watto's Box aliens from the cinema scenes. For POTJ I kept Shmi, Tessek, Zutton, Duros, Boss Nass, R4-M9, FX-7, Sebulba, Bo'Shek, Ketwol, Mas Amedda, Anakin (oddly still the most modern Tatooine Anakin from TPM), Amanaman, Bacta Tank Luke, and all three Padme's/Amidala's. For original SAGA (AOTC era) I kept General Rieekan, Ephant Mon, Djas Puhr, Imperial Dignitaries, R1-G, J'Quille, Tanus Spijek, General Dodonna, Captain Antillies, Admiral Ozzel, General Madine, Rappertunie, Kitik Keed'kak, and a select few AOTC characters. For the Original Trilogy collection I only kept Myo, the Gotal alien, Dannik Jerriko, and Lobot. For Vintage on the Card I kept all of those but Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi, R2, C-3PO, Yoda, and Bespin Luke.

SO I mean I guess I kept more than I realized before the more "modern" style figures, most of those characters are one and done figures and never got remade. It's kind of shocking that EV-9D9, 8D8, and some of the others haven't been touched since the 90's. Phantom Menace has fairly large characters that are extremely dated like Panaka, Theed Padme, Nute Gunray, and Tarpals. Lobot hasn't been touched since the early to mid 2000's. But once you get to POTJ, most those figures aren't so dated that they can't work in a modern display. But I really would love to see some redone. I really think cantina aliens should all be made to sit, articulated knees.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-27-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Making donations is always a worthy cause, but make sure you choose a good charity, as some are little more than a business, with little going to those in need. For packaged items, theres always Toys For Tots - I like donating there, because they go directly to kids.

Another option that doesn't involve tedious selling, is trading - it can actually be fun. I've traded with dozens of collectors here over the years, so you might be able to find someone that wants what you have, and has something to exchange in return.

Fore sure.

Though I do find it interestingly comical?, if kids aren't that interested in figures today. WTH would they want figures from 30 years ago? lol
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast