Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Advice on Collection Downsizing

Quote Originally Posted by bob_solo View Post
    As for that Leia, she was initially one per case, and not in every case assortment, as was common (yet ridiculous) for toy lines to shortpack the female figures (Cheetara was near impossible to find for the old Thundercats line). Ironically, it was the fact that ebay didn't exist that drove the prices up. While you can often get decent prices on there today from scalpers due to competition, in 1995, scalpers were simply the local flea market guys who walked into TRU, cleared the pegs to CAUSE scarceness, then charged whatever they wanted because there was little to no competition, and they WERE the only way you could buy the figure, unless you beat them to it in the store. Hence the $50-$80 Leias until she appeared in more frequently in Wave 2, at which point the moronically shortpacked Lando saw his value go up. We had a guy like this from the local flea market who would wait outside for the stores to open, as TRU was notorious for stocking during the night. Once we figured it out, a bunch of fans and other scalpers started doing the same thing. Only reason I figured it out was, when the SOTE wave came out, I went to TRU no more than 10 minutes after opening, and this father with his kid told me he saw the flea market guy walk out with the entire case that was on the pegs. As a collector who was still relatively young (in college) and naive, this whole thing was a huge learning experience for me, especially when I tried to sell a few loose vintage figures (ones I had multiples of ) for quick cash, and walked out with less than $10, because, as I was told, "we don't look at price guides."
    Ah, yes - I remember collecting in the mid-late '90's..and definitely not with fondness. I was in my last semester of college when POTF2 first hit (Fall 1995 for my area) & my nostalgia for OT SW toys was huge then - so I was really into collecting these. I hated scalpers with a passion. They always seemed to get to the stores right before I did, and during that initial year - I rarely found anything @ retail. Also, that was before online stores - so if you didn't get the toy(s) at a brick & mortar store, you were pretty much relegated to getting these on the secondary market, i.e. comic stores, etc.

Things have changed so much these days. The positive(s) are that you can find a lot of product online, and sometimes they don't jack the prices up too much. Going along with this, my days of driving all over town looking for new product are gone - not only is it pointless in most cases - but, there aren't nearly as many brick & mortar stores out there as there were 10/15/20 years ago. Target & Wal-mart have a lot fewer SW toys than they did in the '90's/200X's....and stores like TRU & Kay-bee (where I used to go to quite a bit to look for toys) are out of business.
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 08-30-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    Ah, yes - I remember these days...and definitely not with fondness. I was in my last semester of college when POTF2 first hit (Fall 1995 for my area) & my nostalgia for OT SW toys was huge then - so I was really into collecting these. I hated scalpers with a passion. They always seemed to get to the stores right before I did, and during that initial year - I rarely found anything @ retail. Also, that was before online stores - so if you didn't get the toy(s) at a brick & mortar store, you were pretty much relegated to getting these on the secondary market, i.e. comic stores, etc.

Things have changed so much these days. There's not nearly as much new product out there, and going along with this there aren't nearly as many retail stores as there were in the '90's/200X's. I do still get some stuff at retail, but also order online as well.
    Yep, between Star Wars and Startling Lineup figures, 1995 was a horrible year for scalpers. And those guys were brazen about it, too, walking through the store with their carts loaded with the figures. At least the ebay guys today are fairer than the flea market guys used to be. The markup on most items is not so ridiculous that the thought of how much gas I'd waste searching around makes it worth paying a few bucks more for them doing the legwork - and with free shipping & today's gas prices, you might just about break even. And keep in mind, there was no such thing as free shipping when stores started going online - you'd still be paying anywhere from $5-10 more for that alone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123