Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hasbro Says It’s Game Over For Plastic Packaging

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMickeyMoose View Post
    Another thing on Hasbro, if they actually do what they say they will do and stop making plastic and do away with bubbles on action figure cards and see through windows on all other toys you can expect sales will fall and you can really expect figures and other items will be swapped out and returned to no end. It will be the worse thing Hasbro has ever done.
    Agreed. As I said before, my #1 concern here re: the loss of plastic packaging is that collectors/fans won't be able to actually see the toys in the packages before getting them. This is a huge issue if you are getting toys @ retail stores. However - and also as I said before - even if you order online it's still beneficial for the company/store you order from to be able to see the figures on the cards (3.75" figures) or boxes (6" figures) prior to sending them to you - this will obviously decrease the chances of your receiving the wrong toy. I buy @ retail stores & also online - so, either way, this is a concern.

So, I can unequivocally say that if this happens, I will stop collecting these figures....unless Hasbro figures out a way that we can still see the figures without the plastic packaging.

Well, considering it's becoming more and more difficult to find "Star Wars" Action Figures at stores. And becoming more mail order prominent, then why not just have Pulse ship them to you in a small tubular box similar to Matchbox cars?

TBH, getting rid of the plastic bands and cradle that hold figures in would be just fine. Since they generally just end up bending the figure's limbs etc. But part of the allure for MOC Collectors, is the clear packaging for display. So I don't see them ditching that any time soon. At least with TVC cards there's less of it, compared to past years like Saga, OTC, TLC, ROTS.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    TBH, getting rid of the plastic bands and cradle that hold figures in would be just fine. Since they generally just end up bending the figure's limbs etc. But part of the allure for MOC Collectors, is the clear packaging for display. So I don't see them ditching that any time soon. At least with TVC cards there's less of it, compared to past years like Saga, OTC, TLC, ROTS.

I don't know if many people have noticed, but for the Vintage Collection, Hasbro has already gotten rid of the small rubber bands that they used to hold figures accessories in their hands as they now just place the accessories separately in the plastic inner tray and not in the figures hands. I actually like this approach for the
    Vintage Collection because I think it looks better and because the accessories no longer get bent up by being tied to the figures hands which causes them to warp.
    Nothing, I'm all right!

I'm sure we'll get to the point one day where Hasbro just puts a barcode across the butt and throws all the figures loose in a big bin.
    Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "l'll go a little later, I'll go a littler later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I'm sure we'll get to the point one day where Hasbro just puts a barcode across the butt and throws all the figures loose in a big bin.
    the barcode IS the action figure
    "Without respect - we reject!"

My custom Hoth Rebel Turret thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    the barcode IS the action figure
    Force Link was a test run for wireless figure purchase scanning. Shelved until they work out the kinks.

That tech has been around for several years already, what kinks are there left to work out exactly? It not costing more than the actual product they're selling I presume.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Companies just don't want to spend the money adding something to a product if they don't absolutely have to as it would eat into their profit.
    Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "l'll go a little later, I'll go a littler later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

this may or may not be a post worth making but here I go anyway

I quit toy collecting several years ago for a variety of reasons (none involving a disinterest in the collecting itself) with one of the big ones being my concern over my own environmental impact. I understand that my collecting was a fairly small part of my environmental impact and that the toy industry itself isn’t among the biggest causes of our environmental woes. But I knew it was something that I could sacrifice without disrupting my usual routine (as opposed to completely giving up my car or my washer/dryer, for example). and I could use it as another way to prepare myself mentally for any future changes that will put me further out of my comfort zone. I have to imagine with the way things are going environment-wise, that bigger, structural changes will have to be made and I better be ready.

I still miss collecting; I wouldn’t still lurk around places like this if I didn’t. I’m just always conflicted on what my responsibilities are to the wider world. I guess it is fine that Hasbro is doing what they can to reduce their impact without touching the actual product although I felt that I personally had to go further.

although when I was collecting I was making an attempt to be as conscientious as I could by doing my store runs by bicycle. I usually took at least an hour and a half (so I only had time/energy on the weekends) but at least it kept me trim.

I didn’t know if anyone else had any similar experiences.
    Product shown in fantasy situation

btw, I hope that I didn’t come off as trying to scold or guilt anyone who is still collecting. I made my decision on my own volition and everyone has their own reasons for collecting or not-collecting. again, our environmental problems go far beyond personal consumption habits.
    Product shown in fantasy situation

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234