Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Hasbro Says It’s Game Over For Plastic Packaging

  1. #21
    Well, according to someone, we only have 12 years left...


    I guess we just have the cut off your nose despite your face mentality. Too busy trying to find some better way to do things, and just wind up creating a problem for the future generations.
    I'd be curious to know what the people 50 years from now will think of all this.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

  2. #22
    I just want to correct some very wrong misconceptions I just read in here about electric cars. First off, I am absolutely not a tree hugging environmentalist. I own a Tesla Model 3. Not because it’s environmentally friendly but because it is an awesome and amazingly futuristic car that suits my transportation needs very well and is a ton of fun to drive.

    That being said, yes, it is heavier than other cars it’s size. But it’s not *drastically* heavier (about 4000lbs vs a bmw 3 series’ ~3600 lbs). But saying it uses more brakes to stop that small amount of extra weight is entirely wrong. The model 3, like most electric cars, has regenerative braking wherein the electric motors act as generators absorbing the cars kinetic energy by slowing it down. And it’s very effective. People refer to it as “one pedal driving” but the net result is that I *rarely* touch the brakes at speeds faster than 10mph and I pretty much only touch the brakes when coming to a complete stop. All other braking is the regenerative type by the engines recharging the battery. If anything, I use FAR LESS actual brakes (and thus generate far less brake dust) than a traditional gas powered car.

    Secondly, a quick internet search will show that the batteries are most certainly recyclable. I didn’t dive too deep into this one so I can’t say exactly how much is recyclable. But still, they aren’t just going to landfills and polluting everything up.

    Now I’m with you guys on paper straws and free needles for junkies. That poop needs to stop!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by canofhumdingers View Post
    I just want to correct some very wrong misconceptions I just read in here about electric cars. First off, I am absolutely not a tree hugging environmentalist. I own a Tesla Model 3. Not because it’s environmentally friendly but because it is an awesome and amazingly futuristic car that suits my transportation needs very well and is a ton of fun to drive.

    That being said, yes, it is heavier than other cars it’s size. But it’s not *drastically* heavier (about 4000lbs vs a bmw 3 series’ ~3600 lbs). But saying it uses more brakes to stop that small amount of extra weight is entirely wrong. The model 3, like most electric cars, has regenerative braking wherein the electric motors act as generators absorbing the cars kinetic energy by slowing it down. And it’s very effective. People refer to it as “one pedal driving” but the net result is that I *rarely* touch the brakes at speeds faster than 10mph and I pretty much only touch the brakes when coming to a complete stop. All other braking is the regenerative type by the engines recharging the battery. If anything, I use FAR LESS actual brakes (and thus generate far less brake dust) than a traditional gas powered car.

    Secondly, a quick internet search will show that the batteries are most certainly recyclable. I didn’t dive too deep into this one so I can’t say exactly how much is recyclable. But still, they aren’t just going to landfills and polluting everything up.

    Now I’m with you guys on paper straws and free needles for junkies. That poop needs to stop!

    I’ll recorrect you on your battery misconceptions. Only the small ones use some recycled parts. If you have the larger one ( the one that they push now that last longer and has more power) and it goes bad you must purchase an all new one, They are thousands of dollars, in some caes’s 3-5 thousand. They do not sell used one’s and are not allowed to by law. Where do you think these dead and broke batteries are going? Do you think the green new deal car salesman is going to tell you the truth when you buy one of these cars about all of these negatives, if you think so you are sadly mistaken. Again this is bs about saving the planet but in turn will make it worse. Don’t bother sending me google search pages about the good of battery operated cars and batteries. My info comes from a family that has been in the battery business since it was created.

  4. #24
    Who said anything about buying used batteries? You seem to be confusing recycling with re-using. When you recycle a plastic bottle you don’t just fill it back up. You melt it down and create something new with the plastic. Likewise, spent batteries are dismantled and the metals are melted down to be used for producing new batteries. I personally don’t care one way or the other about the environmental impact (if that was really a major concern people would find ways to stop needing cars of any kind), but saying the used batteries are just filling up landfills is not true.

    Also, the batteries are made up of multiple small cells so it just depends on what has “gone bad”. Maybe you have to replace the whole thing, maybe not.

    i just get annoyed when I see people so anti-electric car when they don’t seem to have any actual experience with or factual knowledge of what they’re like. Electric cars (especially Tesla’s) are amazingly cool in so many ways. It kinda reminds me of the RC airplane hobby. That has shifted from gas motors to almost entirely electric in the last decade. Not because of any green movement but because once the electric motors got powerful enough to keep up with the gas powered ones, people realized the electric motors were better, easier to use, more reliable, etc etc etc. Electric cars are the future because they’ve now reached the point where they can be better than gas cars.

  5. #25
    Yeah, what I said is you can’t recycle the large batteries at all. You know the one’s were talking about. And electric cars are not the future. They have been around since the invention of the automobile. There’s a reason, they never caught on. And could one of the reasons be I don’t know the giant batteries we are talking about and the problems there in? I guess the green new deal salesman got to you with his sales pitch. If you think your doing something good for the environment then that’s okay as well. I just get annoyed when I see people selling bs as facts. These bs scare stories peddled by the green new deal gang keep telling you they know better than everyone and every time the facts show how there great ideas always make things worse.

  6. #26
    If they’re so worried about the environment how about not producing more crap, peg-warming toys that end up in landfills sooner or later?

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMickeyMoose View Post
    Yeah, what I said is you can’t recycle the large batteries at all.
    And what I’m saying is even a tiny amount of research will prove that is patently not true. They can and do get recycled.

    Electric vehicles didn’t catch on before because the technology wasn’t mature enough to allow for range and power that could even begin to compete with gas powered vehicles. Now it is. Like it or not, for anyone living in an urban or suburban environment, electric vehicles are totally the way of the future. I never have to waste my time stopping at a gas station again and it is glorious. Every day when I wake up my car is topped up and ready to go. And it’s faster, smoother, quieter, and more fun than almost any other car on the road (certainly any other car in its price range). And I’m not speaking based on some sales pitch that I bought into or some misguided desire to save the earth by telling other people what to do. I’m merely speaking based on my own real-world experience. I used to laugh at Prius owners (and I still think those cars are lame). But after driving and now owning a Tesla, I’m absolutely a convert. I never want another gas car again. I’m not saying they’re perfect, I’m just saying they’re better than what we had before.

    You've obviously already made up your mind though, so I won’t waste either or our time anymore. I think we’ve derailed the thread way more than we really should’ve already.

  8. #28
    This thread went about as well as could be expected.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    If they’re so worried about the environment how about not producing more crap, peg-warming toys that end up in landfills sooner or later?
    That just sounds way too logical!

    But hey, with that mentality why even make anything. Since everything ends up there sooner or later anyways.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolingbroke View Post
    If they’re so worried about the environment how about not producing more crap, peg-warming toys that end up in landfills sooner or later?

    Another thing on Hasbro, if they actually do what they say they will do and stop making plastic and do away with bubbles on action figure cards and see through windows on all other toys you can expect sales will fall and you can really expect figures and other items will be swapped out and returned to no end. It will be the worse thing Hasbro has ever done.

    I could be wrong though and maybe this noble deed will be the one that saves the world entire. I’m betting a fortune against it though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •