Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man Out Of The MCU (Thanks To Sony)

Spider-Man Out Of The MCU (Thanks To Sony)

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/20/20...cu-sony-disney

This is what gets me SO angry....

Sony is going to sell their movie studio (Columbia) down the road so why are they pulling this ****??

This is why I wish every property that Marvel created was back home because they know how to do it right!!!

^^^ Broken link?

Sony can eat a bag of male genitals
    OT,PT,ST,RO,TPM,AOTC,ROTS,ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TFA,TLJ.... .STOP THE ABBREVIATION MADNESS!!! We are one abbreviation away from being scientologists. Now is the time to join The Abbreviation Resistance Movement!!!

Disney is going to play hardball in an effort to get the rights back to Spidey. Look at what they did to Fantastic Four and X-Men...they completely removed them from the Marvel comic universe for a long time to devalue the franchises. They can afford to cut their nose off to spite their faces with those franchises...But Spidey is their flagship character. Its going to be one hell of a pissing contest for sure.

Ridiculous that Disney wants 50 percent even more ridiculous that Sony thought 5 percent was still good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Ridiculous that Disney wants 50 percent even more ridiculous that Sony thought 5 percent was still good enough.
    Read into how Disney makes a living hell for theatres, they refuse to show films like Star Wars or Avengers at a venue unless it dominates their biggest and best screens afo x ammount of weeks and all the while taking 70 to 80 percent of the ticket sale. Disney has now bought Hollywood. So as theatres are forced to charge 12 dollars for popcorn to stay open, don't sweat it you can always catch the movie later on Disney Plus which will start to dominate the Netflix style scene. Dont forget they bought Fox so now most of what is worth streaming has Di$ney dollars attached.

I think this is very stupid on Sony's part. It seems like they've forgotten that before the Disney deal, their Spider-Man movie franchise wasn't exactly in the best of shape. It was Spidey's association with the rest of the MCU that breathed new life into the property. Homecoming and Far from Home are both great movies on their own, but a big part of what makes them work is the connection they have to the larger Marvel Universe. I guess that's a tough thing to measure, but Sony could be taking a huge risk here by expecting audiences to just forget about that connection. This feels like a giant step backwards in terms of the way superhero movies are made now.

One article I read seemed to suggest that this will hurt Marvel more than it will hurt Sony. I disagree. This stinks for Marvel for sure. Spidey is obviously an important character and it was clear they had plans for him moving forward. But they have a giant character pool to draw from. Granted, few that are as well-known and beloved as Spider-Man, but they'll keep chugging along just fine. Marvel doesn't really have anything to prove. They were successful before Spider-Man, they'll be successful without him.

And with Marvel/Disney's recent acquisition of the Fox franchises, this will seem particularly ridiculous when Spidey is the only Marvel character NOT in the MCU.

the appeal of the MCU was having all these characters in the same universe. but it's a "multiverse" now so what difference does it make? there's no MCU anymore, per se.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

also , I don't think this is entirely "Thanks to Sony" (as the title of the thread suggests)
    Sony reportedly wanted to maintain the current agreement where Marvel receives approximately five percent of first-dollar gross (opening day box office revenue), while Disney wanted to split it 50/50.
    ^^ Disney came at Sony with a demand of "10x more" than they were already getting.

this is a bit unreasonable -- to change the terms of an(y) existing deal, by a factor of 10x. this is blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Sony gave multiple (reasonable) counter-offers , but it seems like Disney has their head up their own *** on this one.

they dug in their heels. they're being unreasonable. (they are acting like bullies).

I blame Disney for this. not Sony.

-===-

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    Read into how Disney makes a living hell for theatres, they refuse to show films like Star Wars or Avengers at a venue unless it dominates their biggest and best screens afo x ammount of weeks and all the while taking 70 to 80 percent of the ticket sale. Disney has now bought Hollywood. So as theatres are forced to charge 12 dollars for popcorn to stay open, don't sweat it you can always catch the movie later on Disney Plus which will start to dominate the Netflix style scene. Dont forget they bought Fox so now most of what is worth streaming has Di$ney dollars attached.
    ^^ I think it's a good thing, in the long run, if Spiderman is NOT owned by "Di$ney Dollars" -- they already own everything else -- from Star Wars to Monday Night Football -- it's getting ridiculous.

Kudos to Sony , for defying "the mouse" -- and Kudos to "Spidey", for standing up to this bully. LOL

Cheers!
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 08-21-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    the appeal of the MCU was having all these characters in the same universe. but it's a "multiverse" now so what difference does it make? there's no MCU anymore, per se.
    What? Are you talking about?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast