Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem

My name is Kevin and I'm a toy addict

I have to face the fact that I just don't have the room to display everything and now it's beginning to just look like a pile or an episode from horders. I'm worried about crushing or breaking, so it's time to face the fact I need to box them for now.

This is temporarily, however I need to package and catalog my hoard. I do have plenty of room to store boxes piled up neatly and organized.

I'm looking for nice storage solutions so I'm coming to the best place I know. The biggest concern I have is what effect boxes will do to my pieces. I have some boxed items but I have mostly loose.

I have learned not to use zip baggies (even acid free) . Don't seal your zip baggies. They need to breath. I am just using a single piece of tape . I noticed my figures getting tacky, while my unsealed baggies were fine. I also had them in plastic shoe totes with a cover. I will not use plastic bins that are sealed for this reason.

What has been a nice solution for you?

Thanks in advance
    Kevin
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

The solution for me was to sell around 95% of my vintage Kenner SW collection, 100% of my Kenner Indy collection and 99% of my modern SW/Hasbro stuff. If I couldn't tastefully display it, I didn't keep it.

I come from a family of hoarders and I was the only one to break away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_D View Post
    The solution for me was to sell around 95% of my vintage Kenner SW collection, 100% of my Kenner Indy collection and 99% of my modern SW/Hasbro stuff. If I couldn't tastefully display it, I didn't keep it.

I come from a family of hoarders and I was the only one to break away from it.

I was being modest on my hoard and failed to mention my star wars props and full size R2. I'm also a member of TheRPF and astromech.com.

I have it bad.

The good part is I'm building an addition to my house in the next year or so.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    I was being modest on my hoard and failed to mention my star wars props and full size R2. I'm also a member of TheRPF and astromech.com.

I have it bad.

The good part is I'm building an addition to my house in the next year or so.
    Cool. Like the Rebelscum forums, I'm one of the original members on the RPF. Member since 1999. I narrowed my prop collection down, too. Just blasters, lightsabers and a MR Training Remote. Also tastefully displayed.

I had one relapse around 2013-2014. I put together a small collection of GI Joe Pursuit Of Cobra/30th Anniversary and a few Retaliation. Figures and vehicles. All displayed in a curio cabinet that I borrowed from the wife.

I've played Grand Theft Auto Online with a few friends since 2016 and I think the game satisfies my collecting mentality. A virtual car collection means no space taken up in the "Man Room" downstairs. It's an inexpensive hobby, as well.

Hi Kevin aka Toyman!

I think you started the first 12 step Star Wars addition program!!!

For long term storage on my vintage toys I use rubber maid bins to avoid any form of moisture issues to my items. I even wrap the box items in plastic grocery bags for extra protection. Lastly for the ammo I store I learned to use desiccant packs and I do the same in my Star Wars storage totes. For my figures I use Ultra Pro Graded Card Sleeves. I use to use heat seal style baggies and my figures would get white tacky plastic residue on them.

Biggest draw back on totes is they have crazy angles and sometimes uneven bottoms so having square boxes sitting flush can be an issue (I use packing peanuts or bubble wrap on the bottoms).
    Take up more room than boxes
    More expensive
    Keep away from sunlight!!!! CRACK, WARP and COLOR Damage!

Positives mostly are semi water resistance and you can see whats in them easier through the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_D View Post
    Cool. Like the Rebelscum forums, I'm one of the original members on the RPF. Member since 1999. I narrowed my prop collection down, too. Just blasters, lightsabers and a MR Training Remote. Also tastefully displayed.

I had one relapse around 2013-2014. I put together a small collection of GI Joe Pursuit Of Cobra/30th Anniversary and a few Retaliation. Figures and vehicles. All displayed in a curio cabinet that I borrowed from the wife.

I've played Grand Theft Auto Online with a few friends since 2016 and I think the game satisfies my collecting mentality. A virtual car collection means no space taken up in the "Man Room" downstairs. It's an inexpensive hobby, as well.
    My user name on all sites except this one is kevin926.

If you use your same avatar over there, we have shared before. I'm the one that has 50 projects going lol

The best part of collecting vintage is just that. Vintage means they don't make it anymore, so there's only so much I can collect.

I did a short stent with 6 inch black series but quickly sold them off when I realized they would just keep coming..

The only modern I have is the full run of classic tv series batman. The available figures in retro mego for the justice league.

Besides star wars, I have a complete mego kiss collection with a few other pieces.
    Vintage mego dc run but limited. And a limited super powers collection. And that's it I swear. Lol

I do have a collection of props a future 10x10 room will serve me well.

I collect both Kenner and Hasbro 3.75 figures, so I have a real problem, lol. I've just about run out of space (at least the amount of space I want to use on a collection), but I still enjoy the hobby. As of late, I'm really enjoying collecting Kenner over Hasbro, because they're just not making the effort anymore in the 3.75 scale. Sometimes I do wish that I was only a Kenner collector at the beginning, because that is a very finite number of figures - with Hasbro, there are thousands! That being said, Hasbro has produced some of the most amazing action figures over the years, which is as aspect of collecting I'd never actually change. I like to use these 3-drawer bins to store my loose figures that aren't on display. You can probably fit the entire Kenner run in one of these. You can pack them laying flat side-by-side, or stack them like sardines. There is a space at the top of each drawer to allow gases to escape, as to not degrade the plastic heavily. None of my Kenner figures have become tacky.

This is a great idea. I never thought about a drawer system. I did buy a larger version of this for my son's room to store his loose lego pieces.

The drawers will allow me to access them easily without going through boxes.

Thank you

About a year or two ago, I started keeping a damp rid container in my collection room because some of the collection is still in the shipping boxes from Hasbro (as well as all the unopened cardboard product packaging). About a decade ago I switched to plastic bins for the majority of the collection and threw in desiccant packs in most of them. I've always kept it in a climate controlled and sunlight controlled room (except for when I retrieved my open collection from my parents attic after college in the 90's).
    Last edited by jimmii; 08-19-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    I hope HASBRO finishes the original 92+ on the Vintage Collection Cards...(approx. 34 needed to complete it, depending on your certain point of view.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast